• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombies and Skeletons

corwyn77

Adventurer
So what's the deal with Decrepit Skeletons and Zombie Rotters?

Both are minions; Skeletons have higher defenses, initiative, perception, speed, as well as a ranged attack and yet the zombies are a higher level and grant 50% more xp.

Huh? One more point of damage isn't worth that much.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Huh? One more point of damage isn't worth that much.
While I also think that the skeletons are pretty good for their level and the zombies pretty bad, don't forget to think of minions in 4-packs.

It's not one extra point of damage, it's one extra point of damage on four minions, so that's potentially four extra points of damage - and minion damage can rack up fast, if left unchecked.

The the ranged attack alone makes the skeletons much more dangerous.

Cheers, LT.

jimtillman

Explorer
While I also think that the skeletons are pretty good for their level and the zombies pretty bad, don't forget to think of minions in 4-packs.

It's not one extra point of damage, it's one extra point of damage on four minions, so that's potentially four extra points of damage - and minion damage can rack up fast, if left unchecked.

The the ranged attack alone makes the skeletons much more dangerous.

Cheers, LT.

in the games day event our wizard was hit by 3 skels ranged attack the dm rolled 20 20 & 19 then rolled maxed damage on the 19
poor wizard was insta gibbed

corwyn77

Adventurer
That ranged attack just makes the skellies look that much better on top of their generally superior stats. I agree that the extra 20% damage is significant, it doesn't call for 2 additional levels. Level 9 and 13 minions only do 6 damage for the most part so it's not like damage goes up fast for them so maybe it is supposed to be worth it. But 4 AC should be worth something (for the skeletons).

JGulick

First Post
I would recommend using the Pack Zombies from the Free RPG Day adventure rather than the Rotters, who are clearly rather under-powered for their XP value.

Or adding something to make the Rotters worth being Lv3. The two suggestions I've seen are extra damage if hitting a Grabbed target (mixes well with the grabby non-Minion zombies) or, my personal suggestion, an "Undeath Save", whereby if they are "killed" by something both not a critical hit and not dealing Radiant damage, they get an immediate Save. If they make the Save, they are not killed, but simply knocked prone with 1 hp. Critical Hits or Radiant Damage kill them without a save. That makes them a bit more durable without breaking their minion-ness, gives them a vulnerability in synch with other zombies, and is quick in play.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
My personal suggestion, an "Undeath Save", whereby if they are "killed" by something both not a critical hit and not dealing Radiant damage, they get an immediate Save. If they make the Save, they are not killed, but simply knocked prone with 1 hp. Critical Hits or Radiant Damage kill them without a save. That makes them a bit more durable without breaking their minion-ness, gives them a vulnerability in synch with other zombies, and is quick in play.

Stolen!
(and nice!)
Thanks for sharing...

chaotix42

First Post
JGulick said:
I would recommend using the Pack Zombies from the Free RPG Day adventure rather than the Rotters, who are clearly rather under-powered for their XP value.

Do you have a link, kind sir?

JGulick

First Post
Do you have a link, kind sir?

I cannot see where that module has been made available anywhere (as I recall, Free RPG day releases were supposed to be exclusive for at least 30 days), and my copy is in a different state just now so I can't copy in the info...

Anyone?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Or adding something to make the Rotters worth being Lv3 ... an "Undeath Save", whereby if they are "killed" by something both not a critical hit and not dealing Radiant damage, they get an immediate Save. If they make the Save, they are not killed, but simply knocked prone with 1 hp. Critical Hits or Radiant Damage kill them without a save. That makes them a bit more durable without breaking their minion-ness, gives them a vulnerability in synch with other zombies, and is quick in play.

Beautiful.

Delgar

First Post
Here is a Zombie Minion that I came up with before the 4E rules came out. Feel free to use. :)

Zombie Minion Level 1 Minion
Medium Undead XP 25
Initiative +0 Senses Perception +0;Darkvision
HP A minion dies when hit by an attack that deals damage.
AC 12; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 10;
Speed 6
:bmelee: Slam (standard; at-will) • Weapon .
+3 vs. AC; 3 damage.
Combat Advantage
If the zombie minion hits an opponent that he has combat advantage to, the opponent is knocked prone.
Mob Attack
The zombie minion gains +1 bonus to attack rolls per zombie ally adjacent to the target.
Alignment Any Languages None.
Skills Endurance +8.
Str 14 (+2) Dex 10 (+0) Wis 10 (+0).
Con 16 (+3) Int 3 (-3) Cha 10 (+0).
Equipment None

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads