Tidbits from PHB Viewing

A'koss

Explorer
hong said:
I think the idea is that in a genuinely-PoL setting, NPCs who can cast raise dead will be few and far between. You can't expect to wander into town, find your friendly cleric who's willing to raise anybody for 5000gp, and get on with it. Hence until your own cleric can do it, raising will be difficult.
Well, KotS would seem to seem to disagree with that premiss - that wee little village has an NPC priestess who can raise dead. My central issue with it remains that it's just throwing money at the problem in the end, and that's not what we we're led to believe...

hong

WotC's bitch
A'koss said:
Well, KotS would seem to seem to disagree with that premiss - that wee little village has an NPC priestess who can raise dead. My central issue with it remains that it's just throwing money at the problem in the end, and that's not what we we're led to believe...
As said before, this may be an aberration because the PHB hasn't come out yet. Anyway, what method could work besides just throwing money at it? Doing a specific quest to raise someone, while it sounds nice, just isn't going to work in practice.

A'koss

Explorer
hong said:
As said before, this may be an aberration because the PHB hasn't come out yet. Anyway, what method could work besides just throwing money at it?
Honestly I was quite anxious to find out myself what they had cooked up. When they first started talking about raising the dead it sounded like they might have something interesting up their sleeve. My guess was that with the Shadowfell so prominant in the new cosmology (and where spirits first go when they die) that the ritual might send you to the Shadowfell to retrieve the PC spirit.

Sojorn

First Post
hong said:
As said before, this may be an aberration because the PHB hasn't come out yet. Anyway, what method could work besides just throwing money at it? Doing a specific quest to raise someone, while it sounds nice, just isn't going to work in practice.
5,000 gp, the #9 treasure parcel for a level 15 group. Stat out a quick level appropriate encounter for your PCs and have them save their friend. With his help of course.

Oh, you meant putting a specific quest in the book. Yeah, that'd be no good.

pukunui

Legend
A'koss said:
My guess was that with the Shadowfell so prominant in the new cosmology (and where spirits first go when they die) that the ritual might send you to the Shadowfell to retrieve the PC spirit.
This is what I was thinking too.

Sojorn said:
5,000 gp, the #9 treasure parcel for a level 15 group. Stat out a quick level appropriate encounter for your PCs and have them save their friend. With his help of course.
That works. I have to say that the one promise 4e really appears to be delivering on is the transparency of the mechanics. It really does look like it'll be easy to alter the fluff without altering the mechanics (so like, with magic items, if you don't want +x items, you just give your PCs the assumed bonuses instead and then the magic items can just have cool stuff ... or like what you've just pointed out with raise dead. Instead of saying, "You have to pay 5,000gp" you can just make it be a quest reward that just happens to be worth the 5,000gp you'd otherwise have had to pay.)

Last edited:

pukunui said:
This is what I was thinking too.

That works. I have to say that the one promise 4e really appears to be delivering on is the transparency of the mechanics. It really does look like it'll be easy to alter the fluff without altering the mechanics (so like, with magic items, if you don't want +x items, you just give your PCs the assumed bonuses instead and then the magic items can just have cool stuff ... or like what you've just pointed out with raise dead. Instead of saying, "You have to pay 5,000gp" you can just make it be a quest reward that just happens to be worth the 5,000gp you'd otherwise have had to pay.)
House rule;)
Edit: I just started the quote when only the first paragraph was up, then the second appeared in my quote, which I quickly posted without reading your 2nd paragraph. Spooky our thoughts are combining like a big NZ DnD Whanau thing!

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
The problem with the "quest to save our friend's soul" is that the dead character's player doesn't have a character to play, because his is slightly dead. Not that a good group & DM couldn't work around it, but it's a bit too involved to be the standard.

pukunui

Legend
Spatula said:
The problem with the "quest to save our friend's soul" is that the dead character's player doesn't have a character to play, because his is slightly dead. Not that a good group & DM couldn't work around it, but it's a bit too involved to be the standard.
Oh I agree. There are plenty of workarounds but the fact is, as I pointed out, it appears to be easy enough to work it in as part of the treasure or whatever rather than have it be an actual cold, hard cash payment.

Remove ads