10 Necromancer Games Adventures: Which Ones Should I Get?

Which of these 10 Necromancer Games adventures should I get?

• A Family Affair

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A Lamentation of Thieves

• Dead Man's Chest

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Elemental Moon

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Fane of the Witch King

• The Coils of Set

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • The Grey Citadel

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • The Six Spheres of Zaihhess

• The Tower of Jhedophar

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Trouble At Durbenford

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Other Choice (Explain why in post, please)

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You really ought to try to pick up Tomb of Absynthor. It's really good.

I also really enjoyed the Tomb of Absynthor. For a dungeon crawl, its a good and fairly deadly one.

Ditto this!
Okay, so I looked up Tomb of Absynthor on RPGNow and immediately notice it has a connection to Bard's Gate. That's a key seeling point for me. I think this one has become a "must have."

Are there any other NG adventures tied directly to Bard's Gate?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'd also pick up Vault of Larin Karr.
FYI... my homebrewed world's Underearth doesn't include drow.

The race isn't native to the world; however, they do exist in the universe and once tried to invade the world's Underearth, which ended in failure. They did leave behind ruined cities (or vaults), so I guess I could use this adventure with some modifications.

How drow heavy is Vault of Larin Karr?

Treebore

First Post
Okay, so which are the four you didn't like and why? B-)

Well, 3 are a trilogy by an author I frequently find does very dry, unoriginal and generally very basic and predictable adventures who in my opinion only gets sales due to his historical significance to D&D.

The 4th was done by someone who is much more famous now, and I do not like it simply because I do not like clockwork creatures, but I know many others who hung out on the Necro boards liked it a lot.

The modules done by Lance Havermale have a number of game mechanics issues, but he has great ideas, and is one of my fav module authors for Necromancer Games.

All of the adventures released via Kenzer were real good, original, or quasi original with kewl new twists, and well worth hunting down.

Frankly, I found lots of great ideas in pretty much every module done by Necromancer, and they were my favorite module company for 3E.

However I have seen a lot of people disagree with my opinions about several of the modules, so all I can say is I bought every single module, often 3 copies of each, because I think Necromancer Games put out the best modules in 3E.

I base this not on mechanics accuracy, because there were a few errors in many products, I base this on fresh ideas, or old ideas with cool new twists, that simply led to great games.

I also highly recommend Patrick Lawingers "Morrick Mansion".

Also make sure to get "Lost City of Barakus" and I see you already got Bards Gate and City of Brass.

If you have Rappan Athuk you have to get Tomb of Abysthor, they are interconnected, and well worth using that way.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I would also recommend Tomb of Abysthor and have also voted for all the adventures on your list.

Their stuff is great: just buy them all.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Well, 3 are a trilogy by an author I frequently find does very dry, unoriginal and generally very basic and predictable adventures who in my opinion only gets sales due to his historical significance to D&D.

The 4th was done by someone who is much more famous now, and I do not like it simply because I do not like clockwork creatures, but I know many others who hung out on the Necro boards liked it a lot.
Thanks for your opinion; I figured out which ones you mean. ;)

All of the adventures released via Kenzer were real good, original, or quasi original with kewl new twists, and well worth hunting down.
I'm assuming these were the last Necromancer Games modules released. I've been thinking about trying to find these but I haven't been hunted hard for any of them in particular. They all look very interesting.

Also make sure to get "Lost City of Barakus" and I see you already got Bards Gate and City of Brass.
Barkakus is a "must have" for me; however, finding it, locally, is goingto be tough. If I have to I'll buy the PDF, but I'd prefer to find print version.

If you have Rappan Athuk you have to get Tomb of Abysthor, they are interconnected, and well worth using that way.
I don't have Rappan Athuk Reloaded, yet, but if I find it anywhere I'm buying it. :cool:

I know that a few FLGS have one or two of the original v.3.0 adventures but I want to find the compiled boxed set, which I'm assuming is updated to v.3.5.

grodog

Hero
I voted Other plus a few of the other books: I'm really fond of the modules Tomb of Abysthor, Demons & Devils, Vault of Larin Karr, and Wizard's Amulet/Crucible of Freya (once you add in the wilderness downloads). On the sourcebooks side, Bard's Gate and Mother of All Treasure Tables are both far more useful to me than ToH were (although I like those too).

I like RA for encounters mining, but most of the levels are too small for my mega-dungeon purposes (but again, I also really like the freebie wilderness downloads and I vastly prefer the updated/corrected maps for RA1-3 that are downloadable vs. the ones in RA:RE).

catsclaw227

First Post
I voted for all of them and for others they have done. I've not run many of them but I've not found one I didn't like. Reading throug their moduels is enjoyable as they are creative and fun and down right nasty in terms of difficulty.

Ditto here as well. I don't have Elemental Moon or Dead Man's Chest, but I thought DMC was more of an environment book with a collection of adventures like Glades of Death (though I could be wrong.)

I would also like to add a big recommendation for:

Tomb of Abysthor
Vault of Larin Karr
Doom of Listenshire (written by our Mouseferatu).
Diamond Fortress
Mother of All Treasure Tables

Voadam

Legend
Coils of Set has the girl's character from the Jack Chick comic as a villain you might kill. Also a vile hive of scum and villainy plus Egyptianish temple stuff going on and is a three part module supposed to take you from 1-12. On the plus side it has an aboleth villain and an avatar of set plus a primal world type thing. On the down side there is time travel at the end.

I was going to run it and read through the first part indepth but that group fell apart and I never read the later stuff in-depth.

Tomb of Abysthor looks fantastic, better than RA IMO.

Remove ads