• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] The Dustbowl (QA) [Recruitment - OPEN(1)] (OOC)

eblue562

First Post
Thanks for the info, Eblue, and one rule question while I think about it : if a power negates all primary damage from an attack, does secondary effects still occur? i.e. If a flaming orb or equivalent is reduced to 0 HP damage or lower, does the 5 ongoing still occur? Same principle as the poison rule in earlier editions, I would imagine : if the sting doesn't bite skin, then, obviously, no poison damage. YMMV, of course.

Interesting question, and certainly one to think about. Some powers in the PHB have a "miss" feature that essentially tells you what happens if the dice aren't on your side for that roll. It's assumed, then, that if other powers do not have a miss effect, nothing happens. I think it's more of a RAI (rules as interpreted) than RAW (rules as written), but I will go with that. To be clear:

If a power or ability does not have a "miss" effect, and the power/ability misses, nothing happens. Otherwise, the miss effect occurs.

I've posted a mini-status update. What are you guys doing up?? Although, I guess I should ask myself that same question.

Legildur

First Post
Legildur, if my mark triggers and I end up in O5, please let me go first next round so you can get combat advantage. Forget that, decided to mark BS2 instead.
No worries. I'm sure that as we get a couple of combats under our belts that we will better co-ordinate powers etc.

I've posted a mini-status update. What are you guys doing up?? Although, I guess I should ask myself that same question.
Doing up? It was just before midday over here when I posted Caden's actions. I just ducked out from work for a long lunch to play a game of soccer.

Cheub

First Post
Actually Fred, strikers don't use marks, because they generally don't like pain. The curse just adds a d6 to my damage, there's no penelty for him not to attack me (thank god :p) and the curse can't be removed and doesn't need to be reapplied so marking it works out just fine. Of coarse, I am, in all respects, an idiot so look it up if you don't agree.

CaBaNa

First Post
thats pretty spot on.

it's 2 a.m. over here...

If the damage is reduced, and the attack does some effect, it will still do the effect even if the damage is reduced.

If the attack is a miss, and it has some effect, it we no longer do that effect (unless it's a miss effect)

So negating the primary damage does not negate a secondary effect, but negating the primary attacks ability to hit, will negate a secondary effect.

So the stinger stung, but didn't hurt, the poison was still injected.

So the molotov cocktail bursting in your face didn't hurt, but your clothes are still on fire.

But when the stinger was blocked by armor, the poison couldn't be injected.

And when the defender batted the cocktail out of the air, and it burst on a nearby wall, your clothes don't catch fire.

eblue562

First Post
Actually Fred, strikers don't use marks, because they generally don't like pain. The curse just adds a d6 to my damage, there's no penelty for him not to attack me (thank god :p) and the curse can't be removed and doesn't need to be reapplied so marking it works out just fine. Of coarse, I am, in all respects, an idiot so look it up if you don't agree.

No way you're an idiot. Warlocks can take a few hits if need be, and the blazing claw attack is much nicer than the flaming orb anyway.

Point by point, I agree with CaBana.

Also, I was unaware that some (most?) of you are on a different time zone than I am. I live in the Eastern US, so it was about 11.30 at night when I replied to Fred's question.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
<Fred re-reads the marking rules>. Alright, IC post corrected to what it originaly was, namely mark on BS1 else Channeling Shield on any attack of BS2 that hits. Thanks Cheub!

EDIT= Renau, since Stick doesn't gain a free attack with his mark (right?) and BS1 is now marked by Mialucus, it now seems more advantagous to leave the elf's mark in place rather than replace it with your own. Agreed?

CaBaNa said:
If the damage is reduced, and the attack does some effect, it will still do the effect even if the damage is reduced.

And

And when the defender batted the cocktail out of the air, and it burst on a nearby wall, your clothes don't catch fire.

The first seems counterintuitive for damage reduced to zero or lower, perticularly since that second one is pretty much how I imagine Mialucus' Chanelling Shield functions IC (batting away/magically cutting/parting/deflecting incoming attacks), but I'm clearly in the minority. Channeling Shield also becomes somewhat less interresting for a 5th level Swordmage who doesn't have the Shield Aegis. Good for last minute, you'd-be-below-0-HP-otherwise saves, I suppose... Just for my own curiosity, is there an official ruling on this somewhere?

Last edited:

Remove ads