[AU]Vale of Shadows [IC]

dead_radish

Explorer
The Margrave nods in satisfaction as each of you take a seat. The Litorian seems wary, but copies Rowlth's position, sitting on his haunches. The Sibeccai magister stands near the door, his eyes flashing angrily.

He gestures to Xen, and one of the servants brings over a tray with a few pieces of fruit and bread, as well as a goblet of what seems to be a dark red berry juice. The servant holds the tray for Xen to eat from as he stands beside him.

To Rupert and Haradoth, he nods. "You have been chosen, it is true. My .... 'talent scout' has picked each of you as the most worthy and likely candidates to perform the task I need of you."

He gestures to another servant, who reaches down and opens up a large chest. The gleam of silver coins can clearly be seen in the chest, and it is indeed a large chest. The Margrave smiles again, a slightly feral smile. "Each of you, assuming you accept and complete my offer, will be granted two mules, laden with silver. I assume that each of you would be interested in such an offer?"

Before any of you can reply, the Sibeccai angrily speaks. "I would know what you would have we do, and quickly, lordling. My talents are not to be wasted."

The Margrave smiles at this, and nods. "Well, my impatient friend, I have a friend. This friend, sad to say, is currently imprisoned, through no fault of his own. He has ... knowledge that I seek, knowledge that others would see hidden away. His captor will not negotiate for release, so I am left with no alternative."

He looks you over. "My scout has identified each of you as tied to this task, but you are, of course, free to decline. Though I will assure you I have a contact within the prison that would be able to assist you in your escape, and it should be a relatively simple matter. Of course, I am unable to use any of my own agents, as I cannot be officially associated with such an act."

"Are you willing to accept this task?"

GPEKO

First Post
Rupert

Humm ... two mule laden with silver ... that's a lot of money. But some things are just not quite right.

"I'm honored that I was selected for this and I'm sure I can accomplish your errand with little trouble. But, I have a question, if I may, my lord." He waits a moment and adds "If you want to be only secretly involve in this, why did you select us, in a caravanserai, a public and busy place ? You surely made no secret of your arrival here and a lot of people have seen your graceful scout choices. I wonder, wouldn't a secret deal with a band of professional problem solvers been better ?"

"Escape?" Haradoth sneers, "Do you mean for us to go in as prisoners? Why can we not simply break in and then out of this place?"

He casts a glance about the others before standing.

"I agree, that's a great deal of silver, but you smell of desperation. I must know more before I agree to this job. And I want a better assurance that we'll get paid."

Last edited:

dead_radish

Explorer
The margrave smiles at the questions. "Perhaps, a group of professionals would have been better. But I need unknowns for this. And I must admit, most of the 'problem solvers' as you put it are suspect. I am uncertain which of the many groups might be under the control of the Desgrave that oversees this prison. It is a risk, I agree, but less of one that you might imagine."

He gestures at the blond witch. "Orlanna is the reason we travelled to this Caravanserai to seek you out. She has consulted the spirits, and they lead us to this place, at this time. It not the most technical of methods, but Orlanna's Sight is rarely wrong."

"As for why we don't merely assault the prison.... Well, Olstenstein's Prison was designed to keep some very dangerous people in. So it is resistant to attack. In addition, I would prefer that as few people as possible realize that my friend is no longer in the prison. At the very least, I need to avoid drawing the Margrave's attention before I have him safely back."

"And finally, as for the people in the Caravanserai talking....Well, my subjects know that their silence will be rewarded." He pauses, and cocks an ear. You all make out a faint sound on the wind, what could easily be cries of pain.... "And that disobedience is not." He smiles a wide grin. "And I must say that I am honored to consider you all my subjects. I am sure you would not doubt the word of your lord...."

"Are there any further questions?"

Mirth

Explorer
Xen lazily takes the fruit and wine from the slave's tray, openly enjoying both. "I am not swayed by your money, but I'm not saying no, either. You have intrigued me. Give me more details and I might just agree to your apparently foolproof scheme." The champion stresses the last part quite sarcastically and smiles, taking a large bite of fruit afterwards.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Mirth said:
Xen lazily takes the fruit and wine from the slave's tray, openly enjoying both. "I am not swayed by your money, but I'm not saying no, either. You have intrigued me. Give me more details and I might just agree to your apparently foolproof scheme." The champion stresses the last part quite sarcastically and smiles, taking a large bite of fruit afterwards.

Rowlth silently thinks, you took the words right out of my mouth friend.

Remove ads