[AU]Vale of Shadows [IC]

dead_radish

Explorer
The Margrave considers each of the questions and comments.

"Well, you must certainly understand that I cannot divulge any specifics until I have a committment from each of you. Suffice it to say that my friend is in this prison, and I have the ability to get you into the prison, and a contact inside who will be able to get you back out after you have located him. And I am certainly not saying this will be foolproof - many have tried to escape, and failed. But none of them had an inside man. That man will, at the appropriate time, open up a set of floodgates for you, allowing you to escape in a rather...unexpected manner. And the who is unimportant at this point. It is not someone you would know, and not someone dangerous to you, if that is your worry. And if the offer of silver does not tempt you, keep in mind that you will be earning the favor of a Margrave, as well as testing yourself against the vaunted Olstenstein's Prison. No one has made it out of that place and lived to tell the tale."

"It is at this point that I must ask for a commitment from each of you. Further specifics will be given at that point. If there are other incentives you'd rather discuss, now would be the time."

The Litorian warrior shakes his head at this point, and stands up. "I will not be caged, Human. Even for a time. I will not accept."

The Margrave looks over at the witch, who nods slightly after a moment's thought, and then back at the Litorian. "So be it. This is a regrettable turn of events, but understandable. If you would merely allow my Seer a small moment of your time, you may be excused."

He gestures the witch over, and she touches the Litorians' eyelids for a moment, speaking words that whisper just at the edge of hearing. After perhaps 30 seconds, she nods. The Litorian's eyes have gone glassy, and he is lead out of the tent mechanically. An older man, garbed in a scholar's robes, traces a small rune (Rupert can recognize that is a magical rune, though not the type or meaning) on the warrior's back, and he disappears from view.

"Do any of the rest of you wish to leave?"

rangerjohn

Explorer
dead_radish said:
The Margrave considers each of the questions and comments.

"Well, you must certainly understand that I cannot divulge any specifics until I have a committment from each of you. Suffice it to say that my friend is in this prison, and I have the ability to get you into the prison, and a contact inside who will be able to get you back out after you have located him. And I am certainly not saying this will be foolproof - many have tried to escape, and failed. But none of them had an inside man. That man will, at the appropriate time, open up a set of floodgates for you, allowing you to escape in a rather...unexpected manner. And the who is unimportant at this point. It is not someone you would know, and not someone dangerous to you, if that is your worry. And if the offer of silver does not tempt you, keep in mind that you will be earning the favor of a Margrave, as well as testing yourself against the vaunted Olstenstein's Prison. No one has made it out of that place and lived to tell the tale."

"It is at this point that I must ask for a commitment from each of you. Further specifics will be given at that point. If there are other incentives you'd rather discuss, now would be the time."

The Litorian warrior shakes his head at this point, and stands up. "I will not be caged, Human. Even for a time. I will not accept."

The Margrave looks over at the witch, who nods slightly after a moment's thought, and then back at the Litorian. "So be it. This is a regrettable turn of events, but understandable. If you would merely allow my Seer a small moment of your time, you may be excused."

He gestures the witch over, and she touches the Litorians' eyelids for a moment, speaking words that whisper just at the edge of hearing. After perhaps 30 seconds, she nods. The Litorian's eyes have gone glassy, and he is lead out of the tent mechanically. An older man, garbed in a scholar's robes, traces a small rune (Rupert can recognize that is a magical rune, though not the type or meaning) on the warrior's back, and he disappears from view.

"Do any of the rest of you wish to leave?"

With a confused look on his face, Rowlth turns to the Seer. He asks "why did you choose me mistress? I am a hunter and a smith, neither would seem to be of use in a prison break. Guide you through the wilderness, make you a sword, these things I can do. Bend steel bars or finesse a lock? You have the wrong cat."

OOC: The background appears to have changed. This is a lot more civilized and political, than was originally stated.

Last edited:

Inez Hull

First Post
Kyraelis speaks up with a gravity belying his innocuous appearance, "If nothing else, my curiousity is piqued. I accept. However, two mules laden with silver are of little interest to me. As Margrave however, I imagine you must have connections, possibly even some sway, with all the major guilds of the region. I would seek to study with the Akashics Guild of the Vale if you can arrange it."

His request made, the diminutive Faen fixes an inscrutable stare on the Margrave as he awaits his answer [sense motive +5]

GPEKO

First Post
Rupert

Rupert thinks for a moment and speaks, ignoring the comments of the others. "So, let's see if I understand this correctly, my lord. You first want us to be imprison by this rival of yours. There, we'll have break free with only the help of an inside man and we have no way of verifying the loyalty of this man. Then, we have to flee with a prisonner who might not even want to brought to you. And, when this is all done, there is nothing preventing you from turning us into a band drooling idiots or just kill us."

He pauses for a moment. "My lord, what you are asking me is to take a lot of risks ... and with risks comes pay. I'm willing to do this for you, but you'll have to pay me 3 mules laden in silver. After all, we were selected by a seer. Think about it, the 'professionnal problem solvers' we discussed earlier would have cost you much more." Rupert crosses his arms, waiting for the Margrave answer and thinking he's so smart.

dead_radish

Explorer
Rowlth: The Seer smiles at you, a very warm smile that does not reach her eyes. "Avilli keeps his counsel, Ice Warrior, as do I. It is enough to say that Ice Cat guided you here, as did Avilli. You also have not considered the situation. What good would a smith be in a prison? Someone able to craft weapons in place where people go unarmed and unarmored? What good is one who can survive in the wilds in the wilds of a prison? I think you misunderstand the nature of this place. The prison is no block of cells, like a town jail. There are no guards standing by, watching over you - these people are cruel, nasty and violent. You will have to make your way through and survive, and keep your fellows alive as well. Perhaps that is why you are here?"

Kyraelist: The Margrave smiles at you and nods. "Certainly, little one. That can more than be arranged upon your return. I have a number of friends among the Akashics." You sense there is something behind his words, but you have no idea what it might be....

Rupert: The Margrave seems amused by your comments. "Ah, indeed. The professionals. Well, my bargaining friend. If your faen companion wishes a favor, rather than the silver, I am certain that I can see my way to giving you a portion of that share."

Haradoth: He merely nods to you. "Excellent. You will find puzzles and mysteries in plenty."

Xen: "I suspect you will be more than challenged, Champion. But further details will require your word of acceptance."

Ar-Pharos: "And you, Giant? You have been silent. Will you allow this group to go without your protection?"

The Magister voices his acceptance, his eyes shining with greed. "And I would not have you touching my mind, Witch." He says the last word with obvious venom.

OOC to RJ: It's still very much a brutal game. I didn't mean to give an impression it would be all wilderness. But also, don't expect the prison to be a nice federal place. It's more a giant fortress full of convicts than anything else.

OOC to All: Once the game gets moving, there will be much less railroading. This is about the only 'scripted' bit in the game.

rangerjohn

Explorer
dead_radish said:
Rowlth: The Seer smiles at you, a very warm smile that does not reach her eyes. "Avilli keeps his counsel, Ice Warrior, as do I. It is enough to say that Ice Cat guided you here, as did Avilli. You also have not considered the situation. What good would a smith be in a prison? Someone able to craft weapons in place where people go unarmed and unarmored? What good is one who can survive in the wilds in the wilds of a prison? I think you misunderstand the nature of this place. The prison is no block of cells, like a town jail. There are no guards standing by, watching over you - these people are cruel, nasty and violent. You will have to make your way through and survive, and keep your fellows alive as well. Perhaps that is why you are here?"

Kyraelist: The Margrave smiles at you and nods. "Certainly, little one. That can more than be arranged upon your return. I have a number of friends among the Akashics." You sense there is something behind his words, but you have no idea what it might be....

Rupert: The Margrave seems amused by your comments. "Ah, indeed. The professionals. Well, my bargaining friend. If your faen companion wishes a favor, rather than the silver, I am certain that I can see my way to giving you a portion of that share."

Haradoth: He merely nods to you. "Excellent. You will find puzzles and mysteries in plenty."

Xen: "I suspect you will be more than challenged, Champion. But further details will require your word of acceptance."

Ar-Pharos: "And you, Giant? You have been silent. Will you allow this group to go without your protection?"

The Magister voices his acceptance, his eyes shining with greed. "And I would not have you touching my mind, Witch." He says the last word with obvious venom.

OOC to RJ: It's still very much a brutal game. I didn't mean to give an impression it would be all wilderness. But also, don't expect the prison to be a nice federal place. It's more a giant fortress full of convicts than anything else.

OOC to All: Once the game gets moving, there will be much less railroading. This is about the only 'scripted' bit in the game.

OOC:I'm not expecting a modern prison. Given that, it is still indoors and I doubt I will have access to a forge.

Remove ads