D&D 5E Bahamut and Tiamat Minis Released

aarduini

Explorer
I don't know if that is worth 60 bucks then. That's how much it cost right? I have the huge figure from 4th. Maybe I should just use that.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I don't have pics, but she is much smaller. She's about the size of the Bones Cthulhu mini, and about half the size of the Kaldarax Bones mini (which is about the size of the gargantuan dragons)

*Edit* Now I do have a picture, for size comparisons

View attachment 65140

Cheers. This highlights the other strange thing for me about the dragon minis is that they seem really small. They feel like they should be no more than young dragons. The picture makes me feel like I am not just seeing things. Tiamat is about what I would expect from an adult (Huge) dragon at best. It isn't really a complaint. I realize there are probably several reasons for it between cost and size (cost). It just seems ...weird that the Tiamat mini doesn't look like it could swallow a regular mini whole.

As an aside, do the Kaladrax feet work out roughly to a 4" base, or what would be the minimum size of base you would need for his feet? I realize that they are not level or anything like that. I am just trying to get a sense of scale.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think we probably have to get used to the idea that minis aren't really to an absolute scale, more like a relative scale - a bigger mini means the monster is bigger than a smaller mini, but might be significantly bigger than it looks like it is.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think we probably have to get used to the idea that minis aren't really to an absolute scale, more like a relative scale - a bigger mini means the monster is bigger than a smaller mini, but might be significantly bigger than it looks like it is.

Yep. Pretty much always been that way. Otherwise all dragons would have been the size of Kalderax for proper scale, and that's just not economical. From a manufacturing perspective and from a gaming table perspective.

Yep. Pretty much always been that way. Otherwise all dragons would have been the size of Kalderax for proper scale, and that's just not economical. From a manufacturing perspective and from a gaming table perspective.
Makes sense, but it's pretty lame. What's the point of using miniatures in your game if not to try to accurately represent your monsters?

I love minis, but I gave up on using them a long time ago--they cost way too much for the limited benefit they add to my table, they're often inaccurate anyway, and no matter how many minis you own, you'll still never have enough or the right ones for a given encounter. I switched to homemade tokens and then to digital tokens (Roll20 on a widescreen TV at the table), and I haven't looked back.

...But I still start jonesin' when I see big dragon minis.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

Makes sense, but it's pretty lame. What's the point of using miniatures in your game if not to try to accurately represent your monsters?

Well, you could always imagine the possibility that, like the Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, the idea of how big dragons can get has always been exaggerated and in "reality", they're more the size of the miniatures... which, really is frankly big enough thankewverymuch. (From the perspective of actually having to fight one!)

werecorpse

Adventurer
Isn't it Bahamut not Bahamat?

I am sure it was in AD&D 1e, haven't followed the old platinum dragon since he dropped out of monster manuals

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
No love for Sardior*. /wipes tear

* Totally should be made of diamon and not ruby. Ruby is too much like a red dragon.

Remove ads