• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.0--11/17/06--Arc 7

LightPhoenix

First Post
BrooklynKnight said:
I'm sure we'll see more from Cally and Cheif. I think the reason she's not appearing too much is because she went off to do a movie or some such. I could be wrong.

I do wish the actress luck, but I really hate Cally, and honestly less episodes with her, the better. That said, I think she comes back before the break, if I'm not mistaken.

satori01 said:
Why is Lee Adama not the XO? It is realistic for battlefield commissions to be scaled back, but wouldn't you want the guy that commanded the other battlestar, as the person at the helm of your surving battlestar when the Admirial is not on deck?

Just my opinion...

Lee was never a command officer - his brevet promotion to Captain was basically because he needed someone he could trust to run Pegasus. Tigh made a mess of command before, Kara is too unstable, Helo was dealing with Athena's depression, and no one on Pegasus could be trusted. That about rounds out the people that really could take command. Lee is the only one left.

As an aside, do we know if Lee was actually promoted to Captain? I don't recall him being addressed by his title, and I don't take the nameplate on his Viper as definite proof.

Anyway, so why is Lee not XO? Well, Tigh outranks him, and has held command before. Adama made it pretty clear that Tigh is still his right-hand man, once he gets his crap together. Barring that, who would be put as CAG? Your choices are Kara (unstable), Kat (too new), Helo, or Lee. Between Lee and Helo, Lee is the better pilot, and CAG is a pretty important position (as important as XO, IMO), one that Lee has held through the entire series (and possibly before on another ship, have to rewatch the mini).

In addition to all of that, right now there is an overabundance of pilots. We don't know Helo's skill as a pilot, but he was second to Boomer, so I think it's safe to say he's not a hotshot, like Lee, Kara, or Kat. In this aspect, he's not really needed as a pilot. On the other hand, he seems like good command material, plus Adama can keep him close in case something goes wrong.

Characters are married, but one character drives off the husband, and another is never seen in a scene with his wife again?

Well, realistically Kara was borderline tortured for four months... and considering what she went through, and given her ability to mess things up with people he is close to, I found this highly realistic. RM has said in the podcast for Collaboraters that Anders will be back. Though honestly, I'm kinda surprised Adama didn't keep on for some (pseudo) marine presense.

As for Lee and Dualla... well, aside from the fact that I'm not a fan of them together, I'm still biased against it because Billy was one of my favorite characters. Still is - look at Roslin post-Billy compared to pre-Billy and what she's lost, just because of him. Anyway, the point I was going to make is that neither of them have really been involved in the episodes that much, so having a scene with the two of them isn't as important as moving the main plot along. I suspect we'll see more of them once we get an episode that focuses more on Lee.

Volaran

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
As an aside, do we know if Lee was actually promoted to Captain? I don't recall him being addressed by his title, and I don't take the nameplate on his Viper as definite proof.

Commander, not Captain, based on the rest of the post. We saw him as a captain previous to "The Captain's Hand", and a Major briefly in that episode. Adama gave him the Commander rank pins, which we then see him wear, and he is referred to as "Commander" numerous times between that episode and when the Pegasus was destroyed. I don't believe he has ever been verbally referred to as a major since then, so people have been going by the Viper name plate. I do believe with the nice close-ups in this episode, that he was wearing a major's collar pins.

That said, given where Lee's talents are focused, I can see him having requested pilot duty. I think he's pretty aware thst he allowed himself to be soft when in command of Pegasus. That seems unlikely to happen while active as CAG.

Steel_Wind

Legend
LightPhoenix said:

In the opening scene of Torn, Apollo opens the show after the credits on a flight maneuver. Callsign and Rank are on his viper. He is Maj Lee Adama "Apollo".

He held the rank of "Commander" while in charge of Pegasus.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Like I said before, and people seemed to not have read: I don't consider that absolute proof. VFX team could have not changed it. Heck, in the mini, as far as I can remember, Adama's Viper's nameplate was not updated. While it is evidence, IMO it isn't conclusive at all. Which is dumb, because I do think it was a brevet promotion to Commander, but I don't think his promotion to Captain was one. So until someone calls him Major, I remain skeptical. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just don't think we've been given adequate information to think he was demoted all the way to Major.

Volaran

First Post
No, I think we understood that. My main confusion was that you seemed to be using "Captain" and "Commander" interchangably, which is clearly not the case in the Colonial Fleet. It made you somewhat difficult to understand in context.

Joker

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Like I said before, and people seemed to not have read: I don't consider that absolute proof. VFX team could have not changed it. Heck, in the mini, as far as I can remember, Adama's Viper's nameplate was not updated. While it is evidence, IMO it isn't conclusive at all. Which is dumb, because I do think it was a brevet promotion to Commander, but I don't think his promotion to Captain was one. So until someone calls him Major, I remain skeptical. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just don't think we've been given adequate information to think he was demoted all the way to Major.

Someone did call him Major in The Captain's Hand (Se2e17) when he takes over command of the Pegasus when the commander goes to fix the jump-drive.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Volaran said:
No, I think we understood that. My main confusion was that you seemed to be using "Captain" and "Commander" interchangably, which is clearly not the case in the Colonial Fleet. It made you somewhat difficult to understand in context.

Oh. I feel dumb now. Sorry, my fault! :)

Yeah, the brevet was definitely to Commander, but his promotion to Captain may or may not have been one... so I did mean to ask if any has called him Major or Captain since the fourth eppy when Pegasus was destroyed.

Joker

First Post
satori01 said:
Too much of the recent episodes is restoring things to 'normal', making the whole colonization aspect fade away. It feels too Star Trek-y to me, tumultous events happen, and then next episode, or a couple of episodes later, everything is hunky dorey, (which in BSG terms means strife and discontent).

Well, Galactica does still have a lot of visible damage.

Speaking of which, is it me or are Cylon Baseships a lot more fragile than Battlestars?

Gunslinger

First Post
A very "meh" episode overall, middle of the season filler. BSG is at it's weakest when it deals with story arcs which are fully contained within 1 episode.

Joker

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Oh. I feel dumb now. Sorry, my fault! :)

Yeah, the brevet was definitely to Commander, but his promotion to Captain may or may not have been one... so I did mean to ask if any has called him Major or Captain since the fourth eppy when Pegasus was destroyed.

I'm missing something here. Why would he lose his rank of Major in the first place?

Remove ads