• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.0--11/17/06--Arc 7

Joker

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
As much as this story was superficially about Adama and Bulldog, I think it was really about Saul Tigh getting his crap together. Adama/Bulldog was just a metaphor for Tigh/Ellen, and a way for Tigh to realize that other people probably do understand what he is/was going through.

I liked that Tigh laid out Bulldog no problem. Tigh is one scary mofo when he or his family are threatened. Also, nice subtlety with Tigh wearing his uniform as he rescued Adama.

Good observation. I thought the same thing when Bill asked him "so how would you put that bottle away, Saul."

I kinda liked this episode and hope Bulldog comes back as pilot. He has a similar rapport to Bill and Saul as Starbuck and from what I've heard and seen he seems to be a very good pilot as wel.

Joker said:
I'm missing something here. Why would he lose his rank of Major in the first place?

I don't think he did. When the first series started, Lee Adama was a Captain. He was subsequently promoted to Major. When he took over Pegasus, he was either breveted Commander (meaning he took over and wore that rank on a temporary basis), or was simply addressed as Commander (similar to the way the captain on a US Navy vessel is addressed as Captain, regardless of whether his actual rank is Lieutenant, Lt Commander, Commander, or Captain). I believe based on what was see thus far that he was breveted Commander, then returned to his permanent rank of Major when he returned to his duties as Galactica's CAG. He's probably more effective in that job than he would be as the ship's XO, which is a reason to bump him below Tigh rather than have him retain the Commander's rank.

Part of the confusion, I think, is the colonial rank structure. I'm not 100% certain I've got it right, but it appears that the Colonials use a combined rank structure, unlike, say, today's US Navy and Marine Corps which have different rank titles for the same rank grades. I believe the Colonial officer Corps structure looks something like:

Lieutenant -> Captain -> Major -> Colonel -> Commander -> Admiral,

compared to USN:

Ensign -> Lieutenant (jg) -> Lieutenant -> Lt Commander -> Commander -> Captain -> Rear Admiral ...

or USA/USMC/USAF:

2d/1st Lieutenant -> Captain -> Major -> Lt Colonel -> Colonel -> Brigadier General ...

Edit: This sort of rank confusion happens all the time in today's US military. Back when I was a Captain, it used to be fun to make lodging reservations at Navy installations -- I'd get treated really well, since usually they forgot to ask my pay grade over the phone (O3 versus O6) and wouldn't bother to change my room on check in once they figured out I was a lowly *Army* Captain.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Celt said:
I wonder why the Colonies did not better prepare or try soemthing given the fact they knew the Cylons were rebuilding their forces.
Well, I don't know, but according to the mini-series, it seemed they were pretty well prepared - they had possibly 120 Battlestars for 12 Colonies in a single solar system. Sounds pretty impressive to me, even if not all of the Battlestars were of Pegasus' calibre.

Their whole fleet was in the middle of upgrading to a new, safer and more advanced computer system that was supposed to resist Cylon computer manipulations. Unfortunately, thanks to enemy spies and a (unwitting) human collaborator , this program was sabotaged and, instead of improved performance and safety, disabled their main defence line.

So, their main problem was the lack of knowledge about the Cylon plans and their newest technological (or evolutionary) advances. Which ended pretty badly for them. Still, you can't say they didn't try to prepare themselves. It just didn't work out.

I also wonder if Bull Dog will be back.

Straight from horrible torture to a three-some. Those Basestars are funky places to be.

Indeed. At least TNS Baltars life offers a few fun moments, unlike TOS Baltar who had only hear about failures after failures and had to work with walking chrome toasters or robots-with-exposed-brains. :) But, considering the tortures, in the end it all evens out - life on a Basestar is probably not worth it, at least for human traitors. :)

I feel Adama was overreacting to the spying thing - it seems evident the Cylons were always determined to wage terrible war on humans, even if they had not caught a spy.
I agree, that seemed a bit overreacting. Though, it also is understandable, I think. He lead a mission that broke the treaty, and nobody can really say how much this affected the Cylon plans - even if they were pretty certain about launching an attack, a breach of the treaty by the humans certainly didn't weaken their resolve.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
I don't think he did. When the first series started, Lee Adama was a Captain. He was subsequently promoted to Major. When he took over Pegasus, he was either breveted Commander (meaning he took over and wore that rank on a temporary basis), or was simply addressed as Commander (similar to the way the captain on a US Navy vessel is addressed as Captain, regardless of whether his actual rank is Lieutenant, Lt Commander, Commander, or Captain). I believe based on what was see thus far that he was breveted Commander, then returned to his permanent rank of Major when he returned to his duties as Galactica's CAG. He's probably more effective in that job than he would be as the ship's XO, which is a reason to bump him below Tigh rather than have him retain the Commander's rank.

Okay, so I'm just really confused. I think I'm just going to stop thinking about it. :)

Now I feel bad for causing all sorts of confusion.

Lo siento!

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
It does appear that Lee was dropped back to Major. We've still not seen the reason for him going soft during the New Caprica period. And what about where Helo and Dee end up with all of the reshuffling going on?

Steve Jung

Explorer
I think the reason for Lee's going soft was that he's a warrior and there was no war to fight for a year. Galactica and Pegasus were both undermanned, practically mothballed.

dravot

First Post
satori01 said:
Characters are married, but one character drives off the husband, and another is never seen in a scene with his wife again?

Because the story that they want to tell right now doesn't require it. This week's episode also didn't require much from Gaeta, Starbuck (except as a 30-second plot-pusher), Apollo (same as Starbuck), Athena, Helo, Six, Baltar, Boomer, or many others.

When they're ready to use the others, they'll use them.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I just re-watched the episode, and I was wondering if anyone else found the Raider docking sequence hilarious? I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it honestly seems at first like the Raider takes a crap on the hangar deck. The best part is everyone kneels down.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
That was...was...whoa!!
LightPhoenix said:
I just re-watched the episode, and I was wondering if anyone else found the Raider docking sequence hilarious? I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it honestly seems at first like the Raider takes a crap on the hangar deck. The best part is everyone kneels down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads