CB's Pathfinder Beta -- Burnt Offerings

Walking Dad

First Post
Sivan

"I will help you as good as I can. If there are lives and order in danger, there can be no other answer. No other duty can be of more importance." Sivan replies honestly.

[sblock=Sivan]Sivan senses that there is something unctuous about the Mayor. Her answers come very quickly and she seems unusually willing to trust her town to the safety of relatively untested strangers. The mayor's last statement about getting Tac released from work smacks of corruption--guaranteeing a bid for work will be successful if the guild does the town a favor by lending Tac? Plus, there is tension evident between the sheriff and the mayor--the sheriff did not seem happy at the idea of paying what amounts to 800 gp for the hire of mercenaries, while the mayor was all too willing. Just to clarify, 800 gp would be considered an usual sum. Altogether, something doesn't add up.[/sblock]
A knock at the closed office door is answered by the sheriff, who admits a pair of serving men who bear trays of bread, a crock of butter, honey, a basket of oranges, and flagons of water. The sheriff, mayor, and Shalelu fall silent in tension as the serving men lay the food on the middle table between chairs then quit the room with a nod to the sheriff and mayor. After closing the door, Sheriff Hemlock invites his guests to eat, saying, "Break your fast, if you like. The honey is from Grinstead's farm, just outside the town walls." Shalelu takes Sheriff Hemlock up on his invitation, selecting an orange, which she peels and eats--filling the room with scent.

Mayor Deverin coughs and, looking uncomfortable, says, "It was confirmed by the watch that Father Tobyn's grave has been defiled and that the bones are missing. I'm sure it's just a case of goblin mischief, but we'd like to keep the incident quiet. Since you've agreed to serve as adjunct guardsmen in Sheriff Hemlock's absence, I'll ask that you refer any inquiries--not that I expect many, mind you--to my office."

[sblock=Taran]
Since there's no mention of finding any gold on the goblin corpses searched in the junkyard then am I to conclude that Gorvi and his boys were in fact searching the bodies either as they were loaded up or unloaded from the cart? Just making sure I'm understanding what my PC witnessed.
Gorvi and his boys most definitely searched the bodies as they carted them, yes.
My character has a decent swim speed if it changes anything; he could swim out and drag the carcasses back if he sees them floating away. The deceased dog (there were two actually) deserves a token burial. My character will drag the carcass(es) up above the high water mark on Chopper's Isle (where few people go) and dig a shallow grave for it/them. It's the least he can do for his slain 'kin'.
Done. 10 more gold pieces recovered from the goblin, and the dog buried above the high-water mark.

The night's activity will fatigue Taran. -2 to Strength and Dexterity until he can recoup with 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep/rest.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

Tac lights up at the Mayor's offer and his cousin's decision to sign on, as well. By the time the food arrives, he's clearly delighted by the turn this morning has taken. He slathers bread and honey on his bread.

He has a very healthy-sized bite in his mouth when the Mayor mentions the priest's missing body, at which point, the young man's buoyancy dissapates. He chews and swallows the bite in his mouth with some effort, and begins trying to clean the excess honey from his fingers.

"That was actually ... Father Tobyn ... it's what I didn't want to tell you in front of everyone last night. It's very unsettling, and obviously El knows a lot more about goblins than I ever will, but it doesn't seem very ... mischief-y, does it?"

mfloyd3

Explorer
"That was actually ... Father Tobyn ... it's what I didn't want to tell you in front of everyone last night. It's very unsettling, and obviously El knows a lot more about goblins than I ever will, but it doesn't seem very ... mischief-y, does it?"

"No, it wasn't just goblin mischief," Elyra explains. She eyes the mayor and the sheriff carefully.
"I checked the tracks. There was someone else -- A human, an elf, someone human-sized -- Was with the goblins at the gravesite. They were wearing light boots or shoes, not heavy boots." She pauses, trying to judge the reception of this revelation.
"I think that person was in charge. They stood guard while the goblins dug. And it was Father Tobyn's grave they were looking for -- They searched the graveyard before they found it." She looks at the sheriff. "Remember the coins we found on that goblin, sheriff? There is something definitely wrong here."

Walking Dad

First Post
Sivan

Sivan is a bit confused by the mayor's bearing, but concentrates on task at hand. "Was it a local minting? And had the good father any enemies?"

ooc: Can someone sense if Sivan uses his detect evil ability?

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia remains silent, arms folded over her stomach as she listens, and a conflicted expression on her face. Two hundred gold is enticing...but this is her home. Still, she has expenses to meet. But her family lives here.

Finally she shakes her head and says, "Elyra's right. I saw the graveyard myself, and some of the coins the goblins had. Not to mention the ladder that let them scale the wall in the graveyard."

Then with a deep breath she adds, "And I don't want the two hundred gold. I don't need payment to protect Sandpoint. Keep my share."

Walking Dad

First Post
Sivan

Then with a deep breath she adds, "And I don't want the two hundred gold. I don't need payment to protect Sandpoint. Keep my share."

"I will take enough to cover my expanses. The rest will go to the cathedral for a shrine to Shelyn!" Sivan nods at the sorceress's words.

ooc: Can someone sense if Sivan uses his detect evil ability?

When Elyra mentions the human-sized tracks she found at Father Tobyn's gravesite, Sheriff Hemlock frowns and opens his mouth to ask a question but is quickly but off by Mayor Deverin, who says, "Light boots or shoes could have been anyone in town. We'll have to watch for more evidence, which I'm sure will turn up over time if we do have someone in Sandpoint bent on devilry." Sheriff Hemlock turns his head and scowls out of sight of the mayor, then looks back to Elyra, his eyes full of question. When Elyra mentions coins, the sheriff looks doubtful. "I'm afraid in the confusion of yesterday I don't remember any coins, Elyra. Refresh my memory?" If shown the coins or if a verbal description is given, the mayor and sheriff will confirm that the coins are not locally minted. "Doesn't even look/sound like it came from Magnimar, not by my reckoning," says Sheriff Hemlock of the coins.

Detect evil does not grant a saving throw, nor does it offer spell resistance. Additionally, there is nothing in the spell description that would indicate anyone standing within the cone-shaped emanation would automatically sense the spell. The only case I can think of for a "target" to know Sivan is using detect evil would be if someone possessed and used Spellcraft to determine what Sivan is doing based on the verbal, somantic, and/or divine focus elements of the spell.

In reply to Sivan's question whether Father Tobyn had any enemies, Sheriff Hemlock is the first to speak. "None. Father Tobyn was loved by all--he never feared to lay hands on the sick, nor to collect alms for our wayward souls. Perhaps his only fault was being overly zealous at times--a turn off to visitors from time to time--but those who knew him best loved him well."

Sheriff Hemlock appears startled by Talashia's declaration to work for free for the good of the town, and switches his attention from Sivan and Elyra to Talashia. Though quiet, the Sheriff has a hard look at the lass, his eyes upon her for long moments. When Sivan states that he will use a portion for expenses but intends to give the remainder to the Cathedral for a shrine of Shelyn, the sheriff grunts and nods. "That's in keeping with the spirit of the Cathedral, Brother. No doubt Father Zantus will be delighted."

Mayor Deverin is quicker to respond to Talashia than is the hard-staring sheriff. "Sleep on it, Talashia. I'll give the gold to your comrades to hold for you, in case you meet with ill favor along the way and find yourself in need of funds. That reminds me..." Mayor Deverin gets up and walks behind Sheriff Hemlock's desk and hauls out a small but heavy lock box. Unlocking the safe with a key from a cord at her belt, the mayor reaches inside and pulls out four sacks, which she hands round. Inside are battered but serviceable gold coins, 200 of them by the look of it. The mayor holds the fourth sack out, "This would be Talashia's. Who will hold it in her stead?"

One leather coin pouch containing 200 gp given to Sivan, Elyra, and Tac. A fourth pouch (intended for Talashia) also offered. Let me know where the fourth pouch goes.

mfloyd3

Explorer
When Elyra mentions the human-sized tracks she found at Father Tobyn's gravesite, Sheriff Hemlock frowns and opens his mouth to ask a question but is quickly but off by Mayor Deverin, who says, "Light boots or shoes could have been anyone in town. We'll have to watch for more evidence, which I'm sure will turn up over time if we do have someone in Sandpoint bent on devilry." Sheriff Hemlock turns his head and scowls out of sight of the mayor, then looks back to Elyra, his eyes full of question. When Elyra mentions coins, the sheriff looks doubtful. "I'm afraid in the confusion of yesterday I don't remember any coins, Elyra. Refresh my memory?"

Elyra hesitates. "The bag of coins I took from the goblin," she explains. "The ones I gave you to give to the injured." She tries to keep her tone neutral, but it is obvious to all she is painfully aware that she is approaching making a very serious accusation against the sheriff.

OOC: See page 7 of this thread.

Remove ads