ENWorld Fantasy Basketball 2005-06 (Sign up now!)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Black Omega said:
Anyone play in any other fantasy sports groups where someone might be interested?
Quite a few, actually. But I want to wait until the weekend is over before I start asking you guys if I can "troll around" outside the ENWorld boards for takers.

--The Sigil

John Crichton

First Post
The Sigil said:
Quite a few, actually. But I want to wait until the weekend is over before I start asking you guys if I can "troll around" outside the ENWorld boards for takers.

--The Sigil
Same. Just give the go-ahead and I'll fire off a few invites.

Don't we have 10 teams now? That ain't bad...

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
reapersaurus said:
What's wrong with 10 solid participants?

especially when they're all ENWorlders?
The problem is that with 10 participants, everyone's team looks rather like an all-star team (consider that there are 150 starting players in the NBA and in a 10-team league, only the top 2/3 of those are even going to see significant use). With 12 participants, you usually have at least one or two "holes" in your lineup. With 15 participants (the max I set the league for), you tend to be stretched about as thin as comfortable without having to hope that your NBA tenth man gets some minutes in a blowout to get you a few more precious stats.

We haven't gotten any new blood in weeks; I will ask everyone to please carefully choose a couple of people they would like to invite (don't put a blanket announcement out there). I will "close" the league next Monday, October 10th or when we have 15 participants, whichever comes first.

--The Sigil

loki44

Explorer
I agree with The Sigil. I always prefer leagues with more than 10 teams, for any sport. It's more satisfying to me to have to scrounge for those hidden gems. BTW, I'd play if the league was H2H instead of rotisserie. In rotisserie if you fall behind early in certain categories, like blocks or 3's, it's too hard to make up lost ground. With H2H you have a new life every week. There's also more day-to-day management involved.

LeapingShark

First Post
I like 12 teams, it's the tried and proven standard that most leagues use, and most fantasy articles assume. With less, you approach super-teams, and with more, you have almost no chance of picking up a free agent that will be effective as an injury replacement (with 15 teams, another 40 players will gone from the free agent list). But more managers is always better than less, because there will be the inevitable manager dropouts. That said, I'll still play no matter how many teams we have, it's not gonna kill me either way.

Head-to-head is fun. But with hth "basketball", the stats take a backseat to whoever has the most players playing nba games each week. The game becomes less about basketball players' scores, and more about nba schedules (each nba team plays 1-5 times a week, so you can win a matchup with mediocre players as long as they play more games). For that reason, I like it less. Hth works better for sports like football, because every nfl player plays just once a week. That said, I'll still be happy with either method.

reapersaurus

First Post
From the sound of things, I'd definately vote for a 12 team league.
I like the idea of being able to find someone that's worth a damn when I need to go to the Waiver/Free Agent wire.
I remember dreading haveing to decide between Scrub A and Scrub B when something went wrong with my team...

loki44

Explorer
LeapingShark said:
Head-to-head is fun. But with hth "basketball", the stats take a backseat to whoever has the most players playing nba games each week. The game becomes less about basketball players' scores, and more about nba schedules

That's true to a certain extent but I think it balances out over the course of a season. It boils down to making tough choices like, do a drop this marginal guy who's on a hot steak right now (Lee Nailon or Tony Delk pop to mind) but who's only playing twice this week so that I can pick up 3 or 4 really marginal guys off waivers during the course of the week, or do I stick it out with what I've got.

Remove ads