Gaming w/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse Issue 1

Voda Vosa

First Post
Uomo smiles again. "Well yes of courrse we are all important, but you have to admit Laurra is even more so. No rreason to hide the inforrmation misterr Phoenix, I alrready know; one would figurre that a masterr spy and the ultimate hackerr worrking togetherr might get that additional tiny piece of inforrmation, yes?" the 'Russian' says, and his expresion turns grim.

If my deception roll fails I'll use Ultimate effort, spend a HP and make it a roll of 20 (so a 33).

Bought a bunch of skill points with the 5pp and Ultimate effort (Deception). Changes are in the RG.

Last edited:

BBs

First Post
Despite being a bit scared, Laura attempts to look at Mr. Phoenix's actions. Seeing his recovery was well-timed, there was something more that Phoenix wants with her, she just can't place it. What does he want me so badly for that's more than any other mutant? What is it he's planning with me? Something just doesn't add up, better keep a close eye on him. Great start, thinking of how to spy on my new boss, wonderful. She keeps her eyes on Phoenix to attempt to see anything more.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
*Placeholder*
OOC: Phoenix gets a 24 deception to Oppose Uomo's attempted Trickery, just barely beating you, so you'll have to spend that HP. On the plus side, your 33 gives you two degrees of success.
Heading to work now, will try to post the update from my phone if I have time, wanted to get the roll done b/c I can't do it on phone. If I don't get a chance, I'll post it after work.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Phoenix eyes Uomo thoughtfully for a moment before responding "Yes, It would appear we underestimated your information gathering skills. If they are truly that formidable, they should be put to good use in our employ. Very well, I admit our interest in Laura is more than just humanitarian. She is, as you have surmised, a unique specimen among our kind. The transferal of life energy that she is capable of shouldn't be possible, but if it is, think of the ways it could help, the healing we could do. Imagine, Comrade, if disease and injury and death were to all of our kind as they are to you." He smiles as his gaze shifts from Uomo to Laura, looking proud.
"But first, we very much need to know how she does it, what makes her.. 'tick'. Oh don't worry my dear, no invasive testing or locking you in a lab, nothing like that, no no.. just a sample of your DNA for our labs to test. And we will, of course, provide you with a safe and secure location to rest after your ordeals down south... unless of course, you feel comfortable enough with these fine folk to help them on their next mission?"

[sblock=Computer]
Genie seems distraught at his words, ignoring his question about her own affiliation. "But we don't hurt people with our hacking.. Not like that ice golem attack, working with these terrorists.. I saw the security footage of what they did in Washington. Why would you help people like that? And giving them that poor girl.. I thought you were a better person than that, you're like me.. "
[/sblock]
OOC: Uomo's trickery has gotten some information out of Phoenix, and seems to have reinforced in him the notion that you are useful and trustworthy.
His desire to use Laura's powers to 'help' seem legitimate, but you feel that is not his only motivation. There is still more he is unwilling to divulge at the moment, but pushing any harder will likely be going too far.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
[sblock=Computer]
OOC: Somehow I missed that there was a visual VR environment at play, or I'd have given a description of an avatar fro Grid. I'll throw it in here, and apologies for the temporal muckup.

Grid tensed. He'd chosen a square-jawed, muscle-bound action hero type as his avatar, but it was clear from her responses that Genie wasn't nearly as convinced of his heroism. He'd never been good with moral dilemmas; that's what landed him stuck in Gryphon's lap to begin with. It certainly didn't help that his natural inclination that information should be free was at war with all this covert stuff he was now embroiled with.

He wanted to just up and tell the other hacker what was going on. She certainly seemed nice enough. But if he'd learned nothing else since his powers flared and he found himself dragged into the mutant power struggle, it was that few if any folks were what they seemed.

That, at least, gave him an idea.

"I don't know how you got as good as you are, but I had to learn not to trust anything on its face, you know?" His avatar shifted then, from square-jawed hero to black-clad ninja to oversized puppy and back to its original action star look.

"Only way to hack the truth is to never trust what you get handed, especially by the media. I wasn't in Washington, so I can't tell you what went down there, but I can tell you we were down south trying to help.

"If you've been hacking security information, you should know how much those agents wanted to get their hands on Laura, and it wasn't to throw her a party. We didn't snatch or hand over anyone; we helped her get out of a bad situation, and she chose to come with us. The golem thingee was over-the-top, but for all the flash and dazzle, it was just a distraction. We weren't out to hurt anyone. I can't say the same about the agents who were stalking Laura."[/sblock]

BBs

First Post
Laura listening firmly shook her head side to side "I do not need a break, I'm more than willing to help with the next mission" Although I'd love to stay and see what you're up to, I'd much rather be safe and far from here for anything that has to do with tests ... she shivers a bit at the thought of tests "Perhaps you can wait to stick a needle in me after the mission, when I'm more ... comfortable?"

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=computer]
"Just because you weren't there doesn't mean what they did wasn't wrong..."
Genie bites her lip, her own form flickering to that of a younger girl, then a large cat, before returning to the 'supermodel' avatar.
"But you're right, those agents weren't good guys either. Seems like nobody's on our side. Everybody's got their own agendas."
She looks back up at him then "Hey you never really answered! you said you were helping her but you didn't say why you're working with the hive. You could've helped her without them, you guys're really strong."
[sblock=Insight 10]
Though she seems rather smart, Grid is getting the distinct feeling that 'Genie' is a lot younger than she seems.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

<Cabin>
Phoenix's eyes flicker at Laura's reluctance, but his smile never fades. "Of course my dear, wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable. We're all in this together after all. Obviously the sooner we can study your DNA, the sooner we can get the ball rolling, but whenever you're ready.."

He clears his throat and returns his gaze to Uomo "Well if that's in order, I have two missions I need done quickly, one is a bit less.. noble seeming.. than the other, though I assure you, both are necessary. The driver has mission briefings on both available in the car, just tell him which you'll be pursuing so that we can find someone to perform the other. Now apologies, but I really must get back to my deliberations."

He leans back in his chair then, closing his eyes as he presumably resumes communing with his hive.

Once you are back in the van, the Driver hands you two large envelopes full of information.

[sblock=Mission 1]
The Lyon's foundation has been secretly funding a laboratory seeking to find a 'cure' for mutation. The real secret however, is that they're really searching for a biochemical way to target those with mutated genes and eliminate them.

Phoenix would like you to put a stop to their research, and/or find a way to deter future such projects. The lab is located in Las Vegas, and is heavily guarded by a hired mercenary company.

Independant research shows that there is indeed a Lab doing 'mutation normalization' research, though there is very scant evidence (A few odd chemical orders and the 'security') that they are working on chemical weapons.
The mercenary company protecting the facility is notoriously ruthless, highly trained, and very expensive - A bit of overkill for such a supposedly 'humanitarian' enterprise.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mission 2]
The daughter of a prominent Chinese businessman was kidnapped two days ago. Chinese authorities have little to go on, and no ransom or communication from the kidnapper has arisen yet, though it has been confirmed that he is a mutant.

Chinese feelings towards mutants have been very neutral, but this incident is starting to garner animosity. If the young girl is rescued by other mutants, it may help sway them away from support of anti-mutant groups. Not to mention the debt of the wealthy father.

Independent research shows that the businessman is head of a software firm. They have no known connection to anti-mutant groups.
Security footage Grid is able to hack into from their estate shows a masked figure with super-human strength wading through guards to steal the girl, shrugging off bullets as he goes. Most definitely a mutant.
[/sblock]

OOC:
OK, so I'll likely be out of communication for the next week, during that time feel free to deliberate amongst yourselves (In and out of character) as to which mission you feel like pursuing, or if you want to cut out on Phoenix and return to Gryphon/do something else.
I've put some of the extra info I figured you'd ask about into the two missions, the information I figured your characters would be able to quickly gather with their own impressive skills. I presume you'll have more questions that I hadn't forseen, but there should be enough info to at least get the discussions rolling.

I know first sentiment will be to go save the young girl, but if you haven't already thought it, Uomo would be thinking that they have no motive on WHY the girl was taken, or if she's even in any danger, while the lab is much closer, and a (slightly) more credible threat.
Also, if you guys don't trust Phoenix to be able to handle either of these properly, keep in mind you do have other resources you could try to call in to handle one of them, if you so choose, but do so wisely as it may tip your hand.

After I return and you've picked your next course of action, I'll be starting a new thread for the next chapter, and you'll each be getting a few points of my choosing determined by your actions, how you handled phoenix, and which course you choose next.

jkason

First Post
[sblock=computer]Grid pauses a moment, then finally says, "If you know there are multiple groups with some mojo going on all after someone you want to help, which is easier: going it alone and trying to break your own hole in the wall as well as fighting them all off, or piggybacking on someone who's already tunneled in and who'll cover your back? Cuts out one line of competition and makes the job easier, right?

"I mean, come on, don't tell me you've never co-opted machines into slave nodes when you needed the extra processing power?" he finishes a bit playfully.[/sblock]

"Kidnapping is bad, but I have to tell you guys, I don't know if I'm up for more international travel," Terry says when reviewing the missions. He holds off letting the others in on his little tete-a-tete until they're out of the van and thus away from the driver's eavesdropping.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"No need to rush the tests comrrade, we'll be back with those missions finished in no time!" Uomo reassured Phoenix. Internally, he was laughing at his successful trickery.
Keeping his Russian persona up, Uomo gets into the van, accommodating his big frame into it not without difficulties. He examines the content of the envelopes, and makes a couple of phonecalls, as well as something on his personal computer.
He then exposes the case.
"I think tilting the balance in favour of mutants in the People's republic of China will be certainly something all of you would be interested. I mean, they are the most powerful country, no need for them to hate mutants over some kidnapping. An odd one, since we were given no motive, nor there has been any ransom request. I would like to know if the girl is a mutant or not. That might change things. On the other hand is a 18 hs flight to China, so I guess we can accomplish more remaining in this country for now. Specially in this research facility, there might be interesting information about Lyon's fundation I might be personally willing to obtain. I don't have to tell you what Lyon's foundation is all about. I think this is more within our general aim. We have a harder target though. This mercenaries are not amateurs. For what I've gathered, these are professional troopers, they'll shoot first and ask later. And it will be a headshot. Ma, cosi è la vita, verità?" he finishes.

Meaning: But, such is life, right?

Zerith

First Post
Felix remained quiet in front of Mr Phonix for the briefing, when they got to the vehicle he, literally, hoped in before making his way into a middle seat and keening down on it until everyone was seated, at which point he would site on the seat normally

“Sir..” Felix began to comment while looking to Uomo with one ear raised practically high. “As I’m sure you’re aware, while a world power China is not ‘the strongest’ sure their military is hug but the general lack of logistical back bone forces it into a defensive poster. As far as their economy goes, their massively depended on export, if they embargoed any major nation it would hurt them more;
furthermore with India’s booming industry the world not be long lacking if China started to close down its own industry. Worst of all, for China, is their one child policy, I could go into detail but it is beside the point..; China’s workforce is aging without enough fresh blood to maintain it.

In the end, China is a world power, but by no means is it the definitive world authority.”
Felix spoke be throwing in his two cents about what he figured they should do.

“As for what mission we should do, I vote for the lab. While it’s the least time sensitive of the two as the nature of research is tedious; even if they mean to whip us out they would have to make their bio weapon powerful enough to work on those of us with regenerative powers and otherwise enhanced constitution, invasive enough to get around the world, wide spread enough to target all metas, while also being narrow enough to not harm the public at large. They would want their weapon to have a one hundred percent death rate in metas: if one of us lived through it not would we developed immunities that could prevent other attacks from working, but the bio weapon could mutate in our bodies and become equally deadly to normal humans; if the bio weapon would then mutate, the human rce would be facing an extinction level event on a global scale, other kinds of life on earth might also face the same fate.

Anyone who has thought the idea of using a bio weapon on metas at large would come to the conclusion, it’s just too risky; assuming of course, their sane. Meaning those developing this weapon, if they are developing a weapon, are either crazed or so over confident that they think nothing could go wrong once they get it finished: the possibility of a unproven unready bio weapon shoots up do to this insight.

Meanwhile we have a kidnapped girl, and while I’d love to help her, we can’t ignore the numerous risks this lab poses, further, with a eighteen hour flight, one way, the trail would be cold by the time we get there, and who knows what could happen at the lab in all the time it would take us to get on a plain, fly over there, attempt the mission, and then return. Honestly, the lab is also the mission we’re more suited towards, the objective is clear cut, get in, find out for certain that their goal is either humanitarian or villainous and then take action. Meanwhile the kidnapping is massively outside of our general skill set; I’ve had rudimentary training with this kind of scenario and we can only assume....”
Felix prattled on before turning his gaze to Uomo “that you’ve had plenty of experience in this kind of thing, the bulk of us would be running around in circles, fumbling with the local dialect and looking comically out of place. If we do the job at the lab swiftly we can get to the kidnapping without too much of an addition delay, unlike the lab.” Felix spoke, nearly ending with a yawning meow as he stretched his arms and shoulders before saying one last monolog.

“As for initial recon, it should be right up my alley, I should be able to get fairly close without rising too big of an alarm, I will add, however, that if they think we’re metas that might want to simply knock us out if they can do so easily enough, perhaps with dart guns or the like, regardless of if their trying to ‘cure’ us or murder us; we would be valuable lab rats in either case, much more so then corpses; the mercs would likely be able to claim bonus pay by doing so; I also don’t think they would go for the bonus long if they felt at all threatened. But these are just my thoughts and opinions.” He chimed before finally giving his mouth a rest and tilting his head while shrugging his shoulders.

Remove ads