LOST: Season 3 Episode 3 ***SPOILERS***

Yeah, the flashback lacked an ending.... I hope we'll get to see the rest of the story someday....

Next week, it's back to the captured Losties... I hope they stop focusing on one group or the other, and show us both in one episode....

The_lurkeR

First Post
That was dissappointing. :(

The writing just felt off, and not as good as I've come to expect. Why were the beach characters all hanging around like there was nothing going on? All the "leaders" are missing, there was a crazy explosion... and nobody went looking for any of them? Charlie actually gives Locke a hard time about showing up a day later!? No questions about what happened, or what are they going to do? Nobody cares that the hatch and it's resources are gone?

Charlie didn't seem at all like the character we've come to know.

Hurley seems to have no passion about telling what happened or getting help, it's almost like he knows this plot point means nothing this week.

Desmond gets just one scene, and when he's back at camp, he doesn't put on any more clothes, instead choosing to throw rocks in the ocean?

Locke has a flash back with no resolution, or point? It didn't really seem to fit Lockes character. Locke used to have visions in the forest (many characters did), why did they have to come up with the 'sweat lodge' deal? Why if that was part of his character, would he have only now done this? We used to wonder if Locke was being mislead, or 'turned' by the island somehow, now in this episode it's made so straight-forward and simplistic. I was looking forward to Locke getting his passion and determination back, but this just felt sort of awkward... the whole episode felt that way.

Watching LOST used to include those moments that made you go "whoa!". This episode had none of that energy, there we no surprises, no revelations, it was boring.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Filler mostly - I liked it, because it builds on Locke's character, there was a lot of stuff in his vision quest and his flash back. It was also good to see him and Charlie bonding again, Locke, Eko and Charlie, mmmmmm, can you say the three wise men to Claire and the baby.

Ambrus

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
Anyone catch the name of the new characters they're introducing - the guy and girl on the beach? I think one was Paolo.
I didn't catch their names, but having random people on the beach talking was the most surprising part of this episode for me. Locke's vision quest and Desmond's precognition were such non-events for me by comparison. When they started talking to Hurley I was like "Whoa! Who said you guys could speak!" I was half expecting Hurley to do a double take in shock. :confused:

The episode did have a strange disconnected feel to it I thought; random people in the jungle, random bear mauling, randomly naked guy, random spirit quest, randomly mute character, randomly talking characters, random psychic powers. Meh.

Taelorn76

First Post
Ambrus said:
random bear mauling
About that, When the bear grabbed and dragged Eko, you would thinkn that he should have a pretty severe wound form that. Yet they don't even focus on bandaging him or using a splint. Nothing.

Aaron2

Explorer
The_lurkeR said:
That was dissappointing.
Agreed.

This has been my main compaint with the show for a long time. These guys are hanging out at the beach, all day every day with nothing to do, yet they never seem to talk to each other about all the wierd stuff that happens. Nobody went to the hatch, nobody tried to find Locke or Mr. Eko (I'd expect Bernard to at least care). Then Hurley shows up and no one bothers to ask him what happened. It's so frustrating to watch. I think they use this as a way to keep "suspence" in the story. No one (not even Jack, Sawyer and Kate with the Others) ask any question so the audience never knows anything. That way the writers can change the fabric of the universe without being tied down to stuff they have already said.

Although I was down on it at first, at least the characters in Heroes act rationally (the cheerleader trying to find if her real parents had powers, the brother rationalizing that his powers only work when around other people with powers etc). I guess I'm too invested in Lost to stop watching. Its not like there is anything better on TV Wednesday night.

Aaron

Last edited:

CrusaderX

First Post
The_lurkeR said:
Locke used to have visions in the forest (many characters did), why did they have to come up with the 'sweat lodge' deal? Why if that was part of his character, would he have only now done this?

That's a very good point. I still love the show, but the writing last night was rather sloppy.

Sir Brennen

Legend
theLurker said:
Locke used to have visions in the forest (many characters did), why did they have to come up with the 'sweat lodge' deal? Why if that was part of his character, would he have only now done this?
Except Locke was trying to receive a vision on purpose, not wait around for the island to present one at random. I had no problem with him using the sweatlodge to that end.

Though for a show which claims that the goings-on of the island are all scientifically plausible, there was an awful lot of mystic/psychic events happening in this episode.

Arnwyn

First Post
That was a filler episode - I found it boring and disappointing. While most of the people in this thread have made great comments, I think Ambrus said it best (paraphrasing): just a bunch of random people and random events.

I, too, am quite frustrated at the lack of action of any of the Losties. A big explosion, people missing, and people are just continuing their day on the beach, hanging laundry, etc? Nobody talking to each other about the strange island? No wonder nobody knows anything. Give me a break.

Sir Brennen said:
Though for a show which claims that the goings-on of the island are all scientifically plausible,
Pffft. That's long since proven to be a load of hooey.

Remove ads