LOST: Season 3 Episode 3 ***SPOILERS***

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Sir Brennen said:
Though for a show which claims that the goings-on of the island are all scientifically plausible...

There is about as much real and/or hard science fiction to LOST as there is Star Trek, which is to say very little.

I wonder if the Others are feeding children to the polar bears. Or if they did that in the past - even if by accident - and are now trying to replace their yung un's.

Spirit Boone rather blithly forgave Locke. And Locke as part of a weed toking commune seems out of character. I guess the break up with Helen hit him hard. Still don't know how he ended up crippled.

I still want all of the Others die to horribly.

And for pitys sakes, can't the writers do anything with Hurley other than use him as a comedy prop?

occam

Adventurer
Taelorn76 said:
so apparently Desmond can now see the future.

I don't think so. He mentioned Locke's upcoming speech as if it were a fact he knew, not something he had seen in a vision or somesuch. As if someone had gone back to the year 1863 and made comments about the Gettysburg Address before it happened, which most Americans-- er, many Amer-- uh, some Americans could quote, at least in part.

So it could be time travel. Or it could be something else. The Valenzetti Equation has got me thinking along Asimovian lines:

Alvar Hanso, Valenzetti <- psychohistorian Hari Seldon
Hanso Foundation, Dharma Initiative <- (First) Foundation
Others <- Second Foundation, if not leftovers of the Dharma Initiative itself
Oceanic crash survivors <- ?
something yet to come, or perhaps the Incident <- The Mule

Perhaps Desmond, via Penelope, had access to some of the predictions of the Hanso Foundation, and has knowledge of some forthcoming nearly-inevitable events. Some of the psychohistorical predictions in the Foundation series were really precise. (And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go read those books!)

Some other comments:

When those two new people on the beach showed up, for a moment I felt like "Hey! Who said you could speak?"

And in retrospect, I agree with most of the comments about the wayward writing in this episode.

Taelorn76

First Post
occam said:
Perhaps Desmond, via Penelope, had access to some of the predictions of the Hanso Foundation, and has knowledge of some forthcoming nearly-inevitable events. Some of the psychohistorical predictions in the Foundation series were really precise. (And if you don't know what I'm talking about, go read those books!)

To know that Locke would give that speech he would then know he would be stranded on an island pushing a series of buttons for 2 or 3 years, and not taken part in the race around the world.

Aaron2

Explorer
Taelorn76 said:
Saw this on ABC.com and thought it was pretty intersting. It shows how all the characters are connected.

Connected

I've seen that. It says that the psychic that told Claire to get on the plane was the same one that told Mr. Eko that he was a fake. If he was fake, why did he go through all that trouble to get Claire on that flight; going so far as to tell her that he had arranged an addoption?

I'm sure this is old news. I was just wondering what the deal was.

Aaron

Reynard

Legend
Taelorn76 said:
To know that Locke would give that speech he would then know he would be stranded on an island pushing a series of buttons for 2 or 3 years, and not taken part in the race around the world.

Not at all. If the "implosion" kicked him hours/days/weeks into the future and then the effect "wore off" and he ended up naked in the woods, it would explain his knowledge without suggesting he should have known better than to go sailing.

TogaMario

First Post
Ok, did anyone else notice that Locke was involved with a large commune of pot farmers? It seems very off that they didn't show closure on his backstory for that episode. I'm left wondering what happaned to Locke ... and everyone else, for that matter.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Desmond has predicted the future before. He told Jack that the surgery on the woman who eventually becomes his wife would work. I think this was when Jack first met him, when he was running up and down the stairs in a stadium.

Taelorn76

First Post
TogaMario said:
Ok, did anyone else notice that Locke was involved with a large commune of pot farmers? It seems very off that they didn't show closure on his backstory for that episode. I'm left wondering what happaned to Locke ... and everyone else, for that matter.
I would think that something left that open will be explored in a later flashback.

Taelorn76

First Post
JoeBlank said:
Desmond has predicted the future before. He told Jack that the surgery on the woman who eventually becomes his wife would work. I think this was when Jack first met him, when he was running up and down the stairs in a stadium.

I don't think he actually said the surgery would be succesfull. I think Jack said it was imposible, and Desmond said somethink like anything's possible and to believe in miracles. I will watch the episode when I get home tonight to verify.

Remove ads