• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New playtest packet available.

Matt James

Game Developer
The Barbarian was playtested at Winter Fantasy and was really powerful. I expect it will be toned down a bit. I have not looked at the spread yet from the actual playtest document sent out (for creation of one).

Klaus

First Post
But the ultimate goal is to stop you from taking damage, right?

I mean, I'm not agin' it. It's just odd. I suppose it's a slightly different way of doing Damage Reduction? Hmm..

I think that's the intent, to give barbarians some form of damage reduction even when not raging. But then we have the resistance to slash/pierce/bludgeon while raging at a higher level.

There are quite a fe 3e relics in the barbarian that don't particularly need to be there, like Fast Movement. If a barbarian's player wants his character to be a fast skirmisher, that's what the Skirmisher specialty is there for.

And there's a disconnect between the raging abilities and the martial damage dice. Why not use the MDD to fuel certain barbarian abilities?

Klaus

First Post
They can start by removing the totally unneded "martial damage bonus".

From every class, while they're at it.

Well, the Known Issues part of the Read This First document does indicate that they know certain characters are dealing too much damage.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I thought that was cha as a bonus to ac for chain mail bikinis :)

When I wear my chain mail bikini I sometimes think my cha mod becomes a penelty to everything boys do around me. Then again I seam to have the same effect with all my bikinis :devil:

So I like the barbarian so far, but I do miss some of the feel of the 4e barbarian. One of my friends told me that this packet was suppose to have a warden like barbarian, did I miss it, or was he miss informed?

Remove ads