[November] What are you reading?

Nellisir

Hero
Finished The Shadowed Sun by NK Jemisin. I didn't like it as much as Volume 1 of the series, but it's still a very well-imagined world, with Egyptian influences, and some deep characters.

Have you read her Hundred Thousand Kingdoms trilogy? I thought it was great.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Reading book 2 of the Grail Quest series by Bernard Cornwell.

Listening to Bioshock: Rapture on audio, and up next is Divergent.

Crothian

First Post
I just finished reading a biography of Chaucer. It was very well done and quite fascinating. I also recently read some of Robin Cook's book as I'd never read any of his before and it saddened me to realize that he uses the same basic plot idea for each of his books. It got old very quickly so I stopped reading those.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Reading book 2 of the Grail Quest series by Bernard Cornwell.

Listening to Bioshock: Rapture on audio, and up next is Divergent.

I'm fairly sure I've been gushing too much about Cornwell in the last few months' threads, so I'll just say - good choice :)

I've been reading a LOT of Louis L'Amour lately. Short stories, mostly. I've had Westerns on the mind, and am in fact a couple thousand words into a fantasy western for NaNoWriMo :)

By the way, if you like Cornwell's historical ficiton, read L'Amour's The Walking Drum. Marvelous stuff. Slightly less grim and gritty than Cornwell, but not by much.

Razjah

Explorer
I'm still working on The Prince and Dracula due to job hunting being foremost in my time. I also started Alexander: the Ambiguity of Greatness because it was on my bookshelf and called to me. I'll eventually finish the books I'm working on, as long as new books don't catch my eye.

Does the National Geographic for this month count? I read that already.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Well, I know a very good book by how I feel compelled to finish it. Ken Follett's World Without End drew me in early but the pacing was such that the more I read, the more I wanted to read, and this seemed to increase as I got into the second half of the story. I basically knocked off the last quarter over the weekend. And, of course, my feeling is further validated by my not wanting it to end and the quick search to see if there was or will be a third using this setting. It uses the same setting as The Pillars of the Earth but 150 years after the close of that novel. Solid prose throughout, and, I'm shooting fromt he hip on this, it seems to rely a bit less on dialog than Pillars because it felt like I was more immersed in the POV of the various lead characters. Now I have to see if my buddy still has the miniseries on his DVR!

Mercutio01

First Post
Recently got bit a little by the magic bug, so I borrowed and read (and reread again) Nick Einhorn's The Illustrated Compendium of Magic Tricks. I have two other books in the mail on card and coin tricks, and I've been working on sleight of hand skills. I also downloaded an e-book by a relatively unknown magician Julian Mather (stumbled across his Youtube "Magic School" and have been working my way through those tricks) on what it would take to put on a show and maybe make a little side money (kids birthday parties might be in my future if I can string together a decent enough 15 minute routine. I'm currently practicing the simplest cups-and-balls trick to work on vanishing).

Other than that, I read all the Walking Dead hardcovers and have to get back to Codex Alera when my wife is finished reading the copy we own. For my commute I'm listening to The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Aaron L

Hero
I'm just about finished with Charles Stross's The Atrocity Archives (I bought it two years ago, started reading it and then lost it, and just found it again recently.) I know about his other stuff combining James Bond-style spy tropes and the Cthulhu Mythos, and I need to get it. I like his writing, and when I read it I just get a big kick out of remembering that it's the same guy who created the Death Knight, Githyanki, Githzerai, and the Slaadi! :)

I bought Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy and Delta Green: Through a Glass, Darkly for my Kindle a few months ago. I finished "Darkly" and liked it, (and was quite shocked at some of the things revealed in it, not having read any Delta Green material beyond the rulebooks) and have only gotten a few chapters into "Denied."

I'm still not that comfortable reading on my Kindle yet, though; I love it and think it's a rad device, but there's still something inside me that wants a real book in my hands when I read. So I usually only read the (many) books on my Kindle when I take it along with me for the wait at the doctor's office or the like. Every so often while I'm laying in bed I get it out and do some reading on it to force myself to get more accustomed to it. I have several dozen books on it: two different versions of the complete works of Lovecraft, an Arther Machen collection, The King in Yellow, Move Under Ground, two different translations of the Elder Edda, Beowulf, The Divine Comedy, Frankenstein, Dracula, and all the other Public Domain stuff I could find. Slowly but surely I'll work my way through them and get used to reading on an e-book reader; I'm not going to stop til I'm accustomed to using my Star Trek PADD book machine. :D

Remove ads