[November] What are you reading?

Krug

Newshound
Finished The Life of Pi. Liked it better the second time around, with the book's environmental message emerging stronger in the light of current news about climate change.

Picked up a whole bunch of books on Cyber Monday, and now reading Howard Andrew Jones' Arabic fantasy collection The Waters of Eternity.

Jhaelen

First Post
Continuing to read Ars Magica supplements. Currently: "Rival Magic" about magical traditions strong enough to challenge Magi from the Order of Hermes. I particularly enjoyed the section about the Muspelli tradition: followers of the trapped Jotuns (and ultimately Loki) who take on giant form (etin-mod) to work their magic.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Finished The Twelve, now going to read Cloud Atlas, before I deign to watch the movie.

The Twelve was entertaining, and a satisfying follow-up to The Passage. The beginning was a little slow, while the author chronicles the days and weeks immediately after the viral outbreak. Which struck me as odd, since that should have been the most dramatic and tension-filled portion of the book, in my mind. But the book really picks up after Cronin jumps back to 5 years after the events of the first book.

Looking forward to the finale of the trilogy.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Well, Agincourt picked up steam for me and then built up to a surprisingly fun ride. Once it got going, it really never let up. The battle sequences and descriptions are something everybody who runs RPGs should read. Soon, on to The Last Kingdom, the first book of The Saxon Tales, also from Bernard Cornwell.

Last edited:

Loonook

First Post
So far I'm very happy with Cold Days. It has some great revelations and ideas in it.

Just wait. The ending seems forced... One of the 'wow' revelations isn't very wow if you know the history of a specific character who may have changed quite a lot in the eyes of the world over the last years.

There's also an extremely forced conversation about a topic in the news that comes out of nowhere.

I just kind of was expecting more I guess? Maybe I need to lower my expectations?

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Crothian

First Post
The forced conversation was ridiculous. It makes zero sense in the context of the book and what was happening. The end did not seem forced at all and depending on which wow you are talking about I didn't see anything wrong with them.

Remove ads