• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Into Darkness - Spoiler Free

EricNoah

Adventurer
Opening soon .... kind of excited .... discuss! (Spoiler free)

What are you hoping to see? What do you think will get short shrift?

Mallus

Legend
I'm hoping to see everything that made the 2009 film great + Benedict Cumberbatch!

I'll think traditional sci-fi a la the best TOS episodes and coherent plotting will --again-- get the short shrift. I've decided I don't care. I had a blast with the first one, it was pure movie magic. The only thing that has me a bit bummed was I didn't see the new film two weeks early at a preview. In fact, I won't see it until Sat.

MarkB

Legend
I watched it on Saturday and was very impressed. The way the film played out was different than I'd expected from the trailers, which was good, and Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I figure that while the size/shape of the crew (number of cast members) was good for TV where you can devote time to the second string, it's too many for feature films and so Sulu, Chekhov, Scotty will not get much screen time. This, I think, will be Kirk and Spock's real "bonding" film. And time for Kirk to bond with Enterprise as a whole (the ship, the crew as a family).

Herschel

Adventurer
Sherlock Smaug FTW! I like Eric Bana, but Cumberbatch should be awesome. Also, with the origin stuff out of the way they can go to town quickly. I'd guess Uhura, Sulu and Checkov will be small roles.

Janx

Hero
From the trailers, I'm not sure how much trekking through the stars they will be doing.

The whole thing looks to be based on earth, with maybe a short trip to the corner star base for groceries.

Not that the old trek movies had much exploring or morality play stuff going on that the TV series had, but at least the ship left Earth and did stuff "out there" instead of everything being a threat to earth all the time (barring ST1 and ST4 which were basically the same threat).

I liked the prior movie well enough, except for the Hoth scene which just seemed contrived. as one friend pointed out with that movie, Star Trek was changed to appeal to the mainstream by becoming Star Wars with lots of laser blasts and rapid ship shots.

ST2a looks to be more of the same, this time set on Coruscant, I mean Earth.

I expect to go see it. And I'll probably like it for being a sci fi movie. But I expect it to drift farther from what Trek is and more to what Star Wars is. And I'm on the Star Trek side of the ST vs. SW conflict.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Eep, I accidentally stumbled on a spoiler somewhere ... I'm trying not to let it bum me out! Maybe it will be cooler than it sounds. In any case, ready to see the gang again. I'm hearing from reviews that the acting is very solid.

Bagpuss

Legend
Saw it last Friday, I liked it a lot, I thought the acting was top notch throughout, Chris Pine is an excellent Kirk. Opening scenes were great....

Spoiler follows.....
[sblock]a bit disappointed it turned out to be a retelling of an old tale, but at least that was done well, still I would have preferred a new story. To much fan service lead to a lack of originality IMHO.[/sblock]

Last edited:

I thought it was really dumb. Like, I enjoyed it for the first 50% or so, but once we got to act three, it went from being a spirited Star Trek-themed action movie to a tedious Star Trek-mocking action movie. Ending with a chase and a fist fight was very underwhelming too.

[sblock]The Kirk-Spock sacrifice switcheroo mildly pissed me off. You don't get to have a heroic sacrifice of your character if I don't really like the character. Kirk is still all swagger, still has never really lost anything in his adult life. In The Wrath of Khan, Spock dying helped Kirk grow as a character, and it was a powerful scene because you could see that the two characters had a long, deep friendship. In this movie (The Ret of Con), Spock doesn't need to learn any lessons. Kirk mock-dying has very little impact, and it does a disservice to the original.

Plus the KHAAAN yell was just schlock.[/sblock]

Cumberbatch did great with what they gave him, but c'mon, it's Star Trek. The triumph over the villain needs to be a moral and ideological one, not a physical one. And after watching the recent J.J. Abrams interview on the Daily Show, I'm not surprised that the movie really missed the point on what Star Trek is supposed to be about.

Bagpuss

Legend
[sblock]The Kirk-Spock sacrifice switcheroo mildly pissed me off. You don't get to have a heroic sacrifice of your character if I don't really like the character. Kirk is still all swagger, still has never really lost anything in his adult life. In The Wrath of Khan, Spock dying helped Kirk grow as a character, and it was a powerful scene because you could see that the two characters had a long, deep friendship. In this movie (The Ret of Con), Spock doesn't need to learn any lessons.[/sblock].

[sblock]I have to disagree, Kirk needed to realise that he is ultimately less important than his crew, and Spock had to learn to accept his human emotions. I agree that the fist fight at the end was stupid and very unSpocklike.[/sblock]

Remove ads