About Spray Primers

slorak

First Post
The Madhatter said:
I must try this tile medium you speak so highly of.
Like I said - I have found that if you pre-mix it you run the risk of it crackling over time as you get close to the bottom of the bottle. That said I am very pleased with how tight it dries to the model. Mixed with a little black ink and the details really pop out. The stuff is real cheap to. I think it is only a couple dollars for a bottle which when cut 50/50 with water will last a good long time. I need to get a fresh bottle myself as before now I had pre-cut the bottles.

Another intersting thing is if diluted well enough it makes a good protective layer on the model as it dries dead flat. Again if it is not thinned enough it can "crackle" as I have loathed to find out!

Cheers,

-Mike

Painfully

First Post
Tamiya Fine (White or Grey): One of the best spray primers out there. Very fine grain. About $7 a can, so not something for any misers out there. Takes a long time to dry. Not always easy to find in stores.

Floquil Figure Primer: Very similar to Tamiya in quality. Also takes a long time to dry. Commonly found in model train hobby stores. I would use this if I couldn't get my hands on Tamiya Fine Primer.

Krylon: My standby. I use this for 80% of my figs. Three dollars gets you a hefty 12oz. spray can. Dries fast (label says 15 min), and doesn't run (unless you oversprayed). Widely available in most hardware stores, craft stores, and Wal-mart/K-mart stores. A good quality primer.

Citadel/Armory: I stopped using these brands. Basically, if you buy these brands, you like to spend money IMO. My experience with Citadel has been that they have consitency issues from batch to batch as well--it is not an experience I feel I should be paying for IMO.

Remove ads