Killed by your own party member!

Ginnel

Explorer
Well I thought this was worth creating a thread about its not even a you had to be there moment, I think its funny but then you do have mileages and variations an all ;)

Our party consisting of:
Dubious Tiefling Warlock
Heroic Tiefling Paladin
Beer loving Dwarf Cleric with a great axe
Mercenary Dragonborn
and an pious Half Elven Warlord

We got ambushed an evil web from an ettercap trapped us and two bugbears charged our front flanks (one on a drake but that doesn't really matter)
The Warlock "cunningly" teleports free of the web into the open tunnel aiming to blow apart the ettercap as a bugbear jumps down and gets a garotte around the warlocks neck with the ettercap spewing forth another gob of web at the unlucky warlock.
Meanwhile the fight ensues and the warlock is looking a bit unhealthy less than 50% hit points and all that malarky. The dwarven Cleric heroically decides to try and strike the bugbear with his Greataxe using a "Healing Strike power" to aid the warlock as well, but while he's saying "natural..." the DM goes "the bugbear yanks the Warlock backwards putting him in the way of your blow"...20" shocked faces around as the numbers are added up for this massive crit which was with a viscious Greataxe (extra damage on a crit) decapitating the Warlock.

Oh how we laughed :D I personally find it even more amusing as the guy playing the warlock is one of these ones who seems to always roll 20's and high numbers, but he forgot his set of dice today and had to use someone elses.
Oh well bonus for my dragonborn who ended the fight with the drake mount on a leash.

P.S. short version of it.
Warlock "cunningly" teleports out of web trap but is jumped by a bugbear
Bugbear had Warlock grappled with Garotte.
Dwarf Cleric with uber Greataxe tried to assist by hitting the Bugbear with a power called Healing Strike which would have made the regained hit points for the Warlock.
The bugbear used a power to drag the Warlock into the way of the blow the resulting nautral 20 from the Dwarf doing more than enough damage to kill the player outright.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Just last night a similar thing happen to my party. My fighter used his big daily (6d6 damage!) and it hit the party rogue. Man....so much damage, but fortunately our rogue was at full so he lived.

Shroomy

Adventurer
We were fighting a pair of wraiths led by a mad wraith. A nasty encounter all around, made even nastier by the fact that the mad wraith caused our fighter to attack my character, and you guessed it, despite his poor rolls for the majority of the combat, he crits me with a natural 20. Luckily, he didn't kill me.

Though last night, we learned (while "visiting" Carcosa, what a cheery place) that our star pact warlock's missing master willing became a mind flayer. I'm deeply suspicious of him, so there may be an accident in the near future ;).

Korgoth

First Post
That's some pretty great stuff!

I must admit, I got a "team kill" one time in a modern game. One of our party members was being held at gunpoint by a villain. My character had a pistol on him, as did another. We both decided to take our shots. My buddy flubbed it and shot our girl in the leg... my character flubbed it and got her in the heart.

Fortunately both our characters were stone cold I guess because we were also able to close out the bad guy. So our team gave as good as we got, I guess you could say. :cool: And if you're going to team kill, at least team kill the annoying one.

The player of that character wasn't too impressed with our gung ho approach, but then again her character wasn't around to complain about it so it was all good.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We've had some pretty amazing friendly fire incidents of our own, but the best of ours, bar none, happened in S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks .

Our high level party was venturing deeper and deeper into the starship when we spotted a group of police robots at the far end of a hallway. This wasn't our first encounter with the "cops," but this was the first time we'd encountered a group of them- up to that point, it was solo 'bots only...and always just as we rounded a corner. So we knew the 'bots were tough, and we needed to take care of business quickly.

So my PC- not the primary spellcaster of the group- uses a high-level ring of spell storing to cast a 21st level Delayed Blast Fireball on the lead 'bot on max delay- we needed time to get away to a safe distance, after all.

Because all of the previous encounters started at less than 30' of range, we had no idea that the 'bots top speed was something like 90'...

They closed in the first round, and were in melee combat with us for a few rounds when the DBF went off. The 'bots were all destroyed, but everyone in the party was gravely wounded (including 3 fatalities). We had no choice but to retreat.

That was about 20 years ago...they still rag me about that one.

jensun

First Post
While we havent had any fatalaties yet it is not uncommon for our group Wizard to routinely catch the fighter in his various AoE effects.

One of the most amusing incidents involved him immobilising the Fighter with Ice Storm while he was stuck in the Clerics Blade Barrier.

Shemeska

Adventurer
We almost had a TPK a few years back. PCs are all stuck in an extradimensional maze, being attacked by a few dozen dretches, two shadow fiends, and a vrock with some character levels. So the half-celestial PC decides to go for his big guns right away and lets loose with a Holy Word as the first action in the combat.

And 4 of the 6 PCs are non-good, so they get nailed by the spell, deafened, stunned, etc. And the vrock is sitting there, effectively immune to the spell on account of hit dice. Great idea, but almost nuked the party before the tanar'ri even got involved. :)

Phaezen

First Post
3.5 obscuring mist and area area effect spells are a deadly combination. Especialy when the dm removes mini's that are in the obscured area that no-one can see.

Good times.

Phaezen

Remove ads