D&D 5E Concentration: Addressing Player Concerns

neobolts

Explorer
Concentration - one of the oddest mechanics in 5e, and one that some of my players are not happy with.

Buff stacking in previous editions was a real issue, but has the pendulum swung too far the other way? There's a perception that concentration spells often aren't worth taking.
a) They have low reliability since they can be knocked out by an attack at any moment. Taking a more reliable spell often seems like the logical choice.
b) They can't be stacked. Can't fly while stoneskinned, etc.

So, I was thinking about a magic item that might ease this for players.
Item Ideas:
-It could be keyed to a specific concentration spell so as a DM I don't open a Pandora's Box.
-It could remove the concentration property from that spell.
-It could make that spell not break on damage.
-It could be cast alongside another concentration spell (allowing two concentration spells).

What do people think...
1) Is your group avoiding 5e concentration spells?
2) Do you houserule concentration in your game?
3) What sort of concentration tweaking magic items would you design/allow?

godfear

Explorer
I've considered writing a feat or magic item to allow a caster to maintain more than one concentration spell at a time. So far, though, we've only played through about 5th level, so I'm hesitant to start hacking already.

Not at all. They cast concentration spells all the time.

No. Concentration keeps the game balanced and simple. Buff-stacking is gone for good.

Probably none, but an item that emulates that combat casting feat (don't have my books with me, don't remember the name) would be ok.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
We don't have any problems with concentration, than again most of my players are either new players or returning old (1st and 2nd edition) players.

Warder

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Concentration - one of the oddest mechanics in 5e, and one that some of my players are not happy with.

Personally, I wouldn't call it odd--I'd call it a return to older-edition fixes to a problem introduced in 3e. Concentration checks in 3e were far too easy to make.

Buff stacking in previous editions was a real issue, but has the pendulum swung too far the other way? There's a perception that concentration spells often aren't worth taking.
a) They have low reliability since they can be knocked out by an attack at any moment. Taking a more reliable spell often seems like the logical choice.

I think they're definitely still worth taking. They've ceased to be no-brainer spells, which seems like a pretty much straight-up improvement to me. As for "low reliability," I don't think that's strictly fair. You roll concentration when you take damage--so don't take damage if you want to use them. The mechanic encourages exactly the kind of behavior one would expect from a bathrobe-wearing hand-waggler: stay the bloody hell away from nasty things with large [teeth/pointy things/blunt objects].

And removing the stacking thing...as you already said...was precisely the point. Less buff tracking. Less bonus stacking. Less "half of my strength comes from the buff spells we stack pre-fight."

Item Ideas:
-It could be keyed to a specific concentration spell so as a DM I don't open a Pandora's Box.
-It could be cast alongside another concentration spell (allowing two concentration spells).

What do people think...

Key items to specific spells--"Ring of Invisibility," "Boots of Flight," etc. Do not remove the concentration property from the spell--that would make the item that does it much too powerful. I suggest doing one of the following:
1) Give a significant bonus (say, +5) to Concentration checks for maintaining the associated spell.
2) Allow a second Concentration spell, but if the player has to roll for Concentration, they must roll separately for each spell. (Note: This increases the odds that one of them will go down, but decreases the odds that both will.) Allow the player to decide which spell expires, if only one breaks.
3) If the player casts the spell in a higher-than-normal slot, they get one "freebie" Concentration check for every level higher than the base spell. These "free" checks are spent only when the player rolls a Concentration check and fails--a successful check does not affect the number of "free" checks remaining. If the benefit of this item is applied to a spell cast in a higher slot, the player must forgo any extra benefits that would apply from spending higher slots. (This one might make sense as a universal item, or a school-specific one, rather than specific to an individual spell--it might feel a little limited if it was just the one spell.)

Sadly, I have no group right now, my DM and his wife went AWOL in December. I would not houserule Concentration unless I felt it was severely debilitating a player's experience. Casters are naturally very powerful; they generally do not need the DM actively smoothing the path for them.

See above for tweaks. The above items would probably be Uncommon, Rare, and Very Rare respectively. That is, I can see a small cottage industry of magical "trinkets" (rings/necklaces/jewelery, wands/foci/implements, and clothing items like boots, gloves, or cloaks) which are specifically keyed to certain spells. They don't bequeath spellcasting ability to someone who lacks it, but they sort of pre-configure the spell for you or the like. Maybe something like "these items 'prime' the Weave for a particular spell--making it easier to maintain."

The second benefit would be items that essentially "store" a particular kind of cast spell. It still requires your concentration to hold the spell inside, but the requirement is reduced enough that it becomes possible to hold two spells at once. Both can be disrupted, but you at least stand a chance of keeping one of them. It sounds like a nice, magical-seeming yet also mechanically significant item, the equivalent of giving a Fighter a nice fiery longsword or whatever.

And then the last benefit is pretty dang potent--it still requires some expenditure of effort, but having those "freebies" last through successful checks is a dramatic improvement. With a high-enough slot, it can essentially guarantee that you'll maintain a spell for the duration of a combat. Even a single slot higher could make a world of difference, especially for a character that already has good Con, proficiency with Con saves, or War Caster.

Diamabel

First Post

Item Ideas:

What do people think...

What I have found thus far, playing as a wizard:

Concentration is reasonably reliable, as long as you build around it..high constitution, resilient(con), warcaster, etc.

Here are my primary concerns with the concentration mechanic:
-If you don't/can't build around concentration, it is extremely punishing. Most of the primary casters are forced into feat taxes to have any hope of maintaining concentration reliably.
-The concentration tag on some spells is unwarranted, making those spells virtually worthless, (Blur, for example) since they are such an inferior choice for the single spell you can concentrate on.

Gecko85

Explorer
So far it's been fairly easy to avoid losing concentration. On paper it may seem like concentration spells might be unreliable, but in practice they haven't been.

fuindordm

Adventurer
5e does provide a mechanism for stacking concentration spells: potions. You could hand out a formula or two as treasure and let them spend the money and time making them if they really want them.

Zaran

Adventurer
I would say keep the One Concentration spell rule but take out the checks altogether. I don't think they are balanced. No spellcasters besides Eldritch Knights have Con as a Proficiency. The ranger would never cast Hunter's Mark at higher than level 1 because one low row wastes it. I've seen a Paladin roll Spiritual Shield and get hit on the first attack and lose the spell. It's not a fun mechanic. I would much rather throw out the Concentration check then have the few times when it would be cool for damage to remove a spell. If you want to get rid of buff spells use dispel magic.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
(2) I house ruled it:
Flip the DC mechanic to maximum DC of 10 or half damage.

I'm not interested in constantly rolling for Concentration - since saves are not autofail on '1' there's basically a damage threshold where we even bother making a roll. Eventually some casters won't need to make one.

Remove ads