D&D 5E Products You Would Like to See WotC Publish For 5E

What Products Should WotC Publish for 5E?

• Big Fat Campaign Settings (ex:FRCS)

Votes: 71 58.7%
  • Small Campaign Setting Gazateers (ex:The Dalelands)

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Big Fat Player Oriented Rules Option Books (ex: PHB2)

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Smaller (targetted) Player Oriented Rules Option Books (ex:Sword & Fist)

Votes: 36 29.8%
  • Full Sized Adventure Paths (ex:HotDQ)

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Smaller Modules (ex:Forge of Fury)

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • DRAGON Magazine

Votes: 54 44.6%
  • DUNGEON Magazine

Votes: 67 55.4%
  • Big Fat DM Oriented Rules Books (ex: DMG 2)

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Focused DM Oriented Books (ex:Dungeonscape)

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Additional Monster Manuals

Votes: 64 52.9%
  • Monster Focus Books (ex:Draconomicon)

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Setting Specific Monster Books (ex:Monsters of Faerun)

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Genre Mashing Books (ex:Heroes of Horror)

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Edition "Style" Oriented Books (ex:"Grognard's Guide to Old School D&D")

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 2 1.7%

Reynard

Legend
Note: This is about what products you want to see from WotC, either out of the in house design team of the very selectively licensed products we have seen thus far, NOT support from third party "unofficial" companies like Frog God or whatever.

The poll is also multi-option and I made sure to put "other" because I am sure I forgot some things and/or my biases got in the way.

neobolts

Explorer
-Books similar to Paizo's NPC Codex and Monster Codex
-Manual of the Planes
-Planescape/Spelljammer Campaign Setting
-Oriental Adventures (maybe modernize the name to Wuxia Adventures)
-Wall Maps for any campaign setting they publish
-Dungeon Delve

Manchu

First Post
Edition "Style" Oriented Books (ex:"Grognard's Guide to Old School D&D")
What an interesting idea! What did you have in mind?

I really enjoyed the monster-focused books from 3.5: Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, Drow of the Underdark. I'd like to see similarly background-heavy monster books 5E. I also loved Dungeonscape. That sort of thing would be very useful for players who are new to D&D in 5E. I was not new in 3E and found Dungeonscape very helpful indeed.

LandOfConfusion

First Post
I completely skipped 4E. I have seen the D&D team say that a large release schedule was bad for 3E and 4E. I really liked the books for 3E. My only complaint with them was they typically contained prestige classes and feats. That got a little monotonous. However I still liked the books. If the 3E books just expanded on the game rather than just adding prestige classes and extra feats they would have been great. Again I skipped 4E so I don't know how the release schedule was or what the books were like. This snail's pace of book releases for 5E is terrible IMHO though...

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
How about a supplement with some new sub-classes, like--oh, I don't know--elemental pact warlock and elemental cleric?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd like to see both Dragon and Dungeon, because those two can cover a lot of material that would otherwise be in a separate publication.

I'd like to see a refresh/reboot of 2e's Creative Campaigning, Castle construction/realm management, and Complete book of Villains. Yes, that material is still useable in 5e as is, but it's not in print and a refresh for 5e would be great, I think. Creative Campaigning is an excellent resource, especially for new DMs.

Gnarl45

First Post
What I want the most from WoTC is properly tested player options but I don't want to be overwhelmed with niche options like in 3e or 4e. I'd like the common archetype options to be seperate from the unconventional ones so I don't have to pay for something I don't need.

I'd also like to see adventures, DM help, and campaign settings but only if they manage to do better than the garbage they've been trying to sell me the past years. I'd rather they publish less and of better quality. What I've seen so far is pretty average.

Umbrathys

Explorer
I would really like to see a play tested (different from magic) Psionic rule set (classes, sub classes, setting info, monsters, etc.), which is essential for the campaign I am designing.

neobolts

Explorer
-Books similar to Paizo's NPC Codex and Monster Codex
-Manual of the Planes
-Planescape/Spelljammer Campaign Setting
-Oriental Adventures (maybe modernize the name to Wuxia Adventures)
-Wall Maps for any campaign setting they publish
-Dungeon Delve

Wanted to explain my own choices in a little more detail now that I have a moment to do so.
The things I'm looking for are:
1. Thematic setting materials with some player options (planar theme, wuxia theme) vs a specific fantasy world being trotted out.
2. Fallback tools for busy DMs when the session isn't as prepped as usual. (NPC Codex, Dungeon Delves)
3. More variants of common humanoid monsters. This was 4th edition's greatest success. Made an eoncounter with a bunch of goblins more vibrant without any extra work from the DM, great for random encounters. Monster Codex by Paizo does this too.
4. Wall Maps

What I don't want (and don't expect from WotC's current philosophy) is rampant PC option creep. No more heaps of feats and class options.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I really like Wizards' stated strategy of giving us our setting, adventure, and monster material through APs and supporting player and dungeon master options through free downloadable focus articles. Clean and efficient.

Remove ads