7 Years of D&D Stories? And a "Big Reveal" Coming?

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

When asked what he was working on, WotC's Chris Perkins revealed a couple of juicy tidbits. They're not much, but they're certainly tantalizing. Initially, he said that "Our marketing team has a big reveal in the works", and followed that up separately with "Right now I'm working on the next seven years of D&D stories". What all that might mean is anybody's guess, but it sounds like there are plans for D&D stretching into the foreseeable future! Thanks to Barantor for the scoop!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm not holding my breath, but I kind of hope it's OGL. COME ON PERKINS YOU PROMISED. And you know how excited certain people get when all you do is non-anounce the cover of something through a book distributor! OGL! OGL! :p

A campaign setting is a possibility. It's something they've probably been thinking about how they want to do for a while now, maybe they've figured out how to do one of 'em. Maybe "Alice in Wonderland" is one of those ideas? (I was thinking how Alice in Wonderland captures the vibe of Planescape rather well in certain ways...). Maybe something totally different.

ANYWAY, I am a little excited to see what is in the mix.

Honestly I go back and forth on whether I think we'll ever see 5E under the OGL, but it would solve the issue of ongoing support... Wizards wouldn't have to invest any more resources into 5E than they are now, and the floodgates would open to keep the hardcore gamers satisfied, while still being incredible unlikely that third party books would end up on shelves at Walmart and Toys R Us where they really want to see 5E...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Jesus, there is literally NOTHING WOTC can say that will fail to elicit a negative reaction from some people. They could say they're mailing out $100 bills to everyone on EnWorld, and people would bitch it's not $500 or that it would be better if they spent that money on producing X or this is just a secret plot to get our mailing addresses or see this is proof they agree with us that they've been doing a bad job or whatever.

Staffan

Legend
Designed by Kobold Press and Sasquatch Studios respectively. But I know layout is no joke.

I don't get why people act as if books written by freelancers is something new for D&D. Ed Greenwood has never been employed by Wizards or TSR, and yet there are literally dozens of books written by him that people have no problem giving TSR/Wizards credit for. The same goes for Keith Baker, though on a smaller scale. I think most of the Known World Gazetteers were written by freelancers. D&D has always been built on a foundation of freelance work.

ccooke

Adventurer
Jesus, there is literally NOTHING WOTC can say that will fail to elicit a negative reaction from some people. They could say they're mailing out $100 bills to everyone on EnWorld, and people would bitch it's not $500 or that it would be better if they spent that money on producing X or this is just a secret plot to get our mailing addresses or see this is proof they agree with us that they've been doing a bad job or whatever.

Don't be silly. $500 would be too greedy, and nobody here would do that.

Besides, anyone with a functioning brain can see that it should clearly be two $50 bills. I mean, what if we lose one?

[size=-3]Sorry. It's been a long week.[/size]

Grimjack99

First Post
From what's been said, I think the days of massive settings with aggressive release schedules, like we saw in 2nd edition, are not in the immediate business plan. I think that they'll return, but later on down the road. It seems the AP approach is the direction they're taking for now. That said, Chris is working on revisiting one of the old settings, and coming out with a revised and updated version. My best bets would first be on Planescape, or second Spelljammer. This will probably be a major release, but unsure if it will be an AP, full splat book coverage, or a combination of the two.

5E's tone harkens back to that wonderful flavor of 2E, but with update mechanics that give the game a good flow. From all the great comments, it sounds like a lot of gamers are missing the feel those big setting releases had. I still enjoy getting out my box sets for Planescape, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer. As I look thru them, I think how great it would be to have them updated to a 5E version. Alas, I don't want to feel the pain, I just want to see the baby.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I'm of the opinion that we won't see a full fledged OGL, but something more restrictive. Like a guide to building modules, APs, and MMs without stepping on WotCs copyright, along with some boilerplate text that needs to be included in every book that explains the 3rd party nature of the publication and a logo to go on the front or back cover indicating that it's 5e compatible, but 3rd party.

I don't think that they're going to put their rules under a open license or anything like that.

Staffan

Legend
I'm of the opinion that we won't see a full fledged OGL, but something more restrictive. Like a guide to building modules, APs, and MMs without stepping on WotCs copyright, along with some boilerplate text that needs to be included in every book that explains the 3rd party nature of the publication and a logo to go on the front or back cover indicating that it's 5e compatible, but 3rd party.

I don't think that they're going to put their rules under a open license or anything like that.

Because that worked out great for them in 4e.

Rygar

Explorer

For many years people in the Magic the Gathering community insisted that WOTC could put $100 bills in Mtg packs and people would still complain. Then, when WOTC released Zendikar, people discovered WOTC did just that. And $500 bills. And $1000 bills. And even a few $5000 bills.

And people complained about it.

(Zendikar's initial release saw WOTC spike packs with cards from old sets, all the way up to and including Moxen and Black Lotus, which sell for thousands)

Remove ads

Remove ads