D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

ROFL! He's got a long memory!

Except of course that's not really what they mean in practice because the meaning will shift with levels, which is exactly why the 4e method was better ;)

No. Instead of the 4e method you could as well ue a d6 and say you win on a 2-6 for am easy check 3-6 for a medium and shift it depending on proficiency/class stat etc.
No neef to worry about bonus or level or anything at all. And since you don't add 1/2 level to everything you can just substract it from evrything...

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Oh. I interpreted "It didn't come out in 2000" differently. I took it as meaning "I wish this is what 3e was so that I could've been playing this awesome new game instead." like, the new is way better than the old.

We apparently read it in exactly the opposite way. :uhoh:

And you would be correct. My post was a shot at 3E.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Except, the meaning does not in fact shift with levels. Your ability score maxes out at 20, and proficiency doesn't have a wide range, and you don't increase skills with level directly, so those static numbers remain throughout the game.

I've tried explaining bound accuracy to this esteemed poster and they answered that it was not really different from AD&D (and we aren't talking about skills here, but thaco and saves...)

Perhaps you will have more luck?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Anything easy with a DC 5 I think would just become automatic, I don't think it is worth rolling at that low of a DC.

To be honest, I only make a character do a DC 5 check if it's something that would be challenging for that character. Climb over a 6 foot wall - rogue or monk, don't bother. Cleric in heavy armor? Check please.

Dispater

Explorer
I am mildly annoyed by the fact that the word "hate" has become so diluted that people feel its okay to hate things.

I am mildly annoyed that people are mildly annoyed at people who hate things, i.e. a strong dislike for a game mechanic or idea. its a perfectly normal human emotion to say "I hate thing x" to let of some steam. The cult of positivity has gone so far these days that people are so afraid to appear negative.

Empirate

First Post
Veeery few things I hate about 5E. Actually, I believe I don't really hate anything about it. I do find some things bland, under-ruled, misplaced, and especially, overpriced, but all in all, it's a fine system, which allowed me to reel in new players (my own seven-year-old among them! Yay!), who had never been in contact with RPGs before. That particular job, 5E does extremely well I think!

Remove ads