D&D 5E Chris Perkins is polling settings on Twitter!

hawkeyefan

Legend
I agree with your points on why Dark Sun would be a good choice to roll out, though I doubt that Wizards would. I think that their list of publishing priorities starts and stops with "will it sell?" (That said, I think that Dark Sun is interesting, and I think it would sell... but I'll freely admit that I'm pretty biased about it.)

Well, yeah, definitely. If they put out something that they didn't expect to sell, it'd be a bit weird.

I think he pretty much narrowed the list down to the most likely settings already, with the exception of Ravenloft, which will be coming out soon, and Planescape, which kind of encompasses all the settings.

The four he listed are probably the most in demand and most likely to make a profit. Dark Sun's differences are its strength, but also its weakness. It's very different and so would offer the most in the form of new game mechanics and creatures and lore...but it's also pretty specific. If someone isn't into Athas then they probably won't get any products pertaining to it. Whereas a Greyhawk book of some sort could be easily modified to fit in the Realms.

It'll be interesting to see what they wind up doing, if this poll is indeed indicative that they are actually planning a new setting.

I would be shocked if we saw ANY 300 page campaign setting book any time within the next three to five years (unless it was for a completely new setting). Simply because usually 250 of those 300 pages is strictly story and fluff... and unless you were going to advance any of those setting's timelines, those 250 pages would be a virtual reprint of stuff you can already buy right now. But does anyone actually WANT any of the timelines of those four settings moved forward and advanced? I'm willing to bet probably not. So all WotC would need to do would be to provide an Adventurer's Guide that goes into how the 5E PC game mechanics should be adapted to the world, any new setting-specific PC mechanics then need to add in, and a basic world structure for a specific part of an of those settings in order to get the campaigns off the ground. And if any DM wanted more setting info... they could just go to DMsGuild/DnDClassics and buy the massive amounts of setting material already published and which would all be still completely valid.

100 years of mostly undocumented massive changes in the Forgotten Realms says hello.

Beyond that, I agree with what others are saying, that Planescape, or at least coverage of the planes, is probably something already in the pipeline. Every edition has had at least its version of the Manual of the Planes, and I would be surprised if something like that isn't due for 5e sooner or later...

Nickolaidas

Explorer
Yay!! Dark Sun won!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

That said, I *so* don't want to see 'just a module' for Dark Sun. It's a very different Campaign Setting, and the adventure *must* be released alongside an Athas Player Handbook or something. The way I see it, if it's one book, it must cover the following things:

01) Character Creation Chapter (containing the new races and classes)
02) Psionics (an extensive chapter on their use and lore, in the same vein as in the PHB)
03) Bestiary (at least 50 unique to Athas monsters, with extensive care to the Dragon Kings)
04) Bestiary Conversions (a guide to show you how to convert and add psionics / the Mystic Class to psionically friendly monsters from the MM, like the Mind Flayer and the Yuan-ti)
05) Equipment (10-15 pages devoted to unique items and weapons for Athas - like the Obsidian ones)
06) Adventure (A 30 page chapter which has a beginning adventure for levels 1-4)

Bad Fox

First Post
Yay!! Dark Sun won!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

That said, I *so* don't want to see 'just a module' for Dark Sun. It's a very different Campaign Setting, and the adventure *must* be released alongside an Athas Player Handbook or something. The way I see it, if it's one book, it must cover the following things:

01) Character Creation Chapter (containing the new races and classes)
02) Psionics (an extensive chapter on their use and lore, in the same vein as in the PHB)
03) Bestiary (at least 50 unique to Athas monsters, with extensive care to the Dragon Kings)
04) Bestiary Conversions (a guide to show you how to convert and add psionics / the Mystic Class to psionically friendly monsters from the MM, like the Mind Flayer and the Yuan-ti)
05) Equipment (10-15 pages devoted to unique items and weapons for Athas - like the Obsidian ones)
06) Adventure (A 30 page chapter which has a beginning adventure for levels 1-4)

Even as someone who voted for Dark Sun, I'm not sure if I'd call a 1% lead "winning." ;)

However, I definitely agree that the setting has unique needs, and I expect that this is something that Wizards is keenly aware of.

When you say that an adventure *must* get released alongside a Dark Sun Adventure's Handbook (or whatever), you're right. There is simply no way to do a Dark Sun adventure without also releasing setting-specific character building tools. A Dark Sun adventure is just too far removed from vanilla D&D.

So, the question for me becomes: does this make it significantly less likely that we'll see a Dark Sun release? Is Wizards too stuck on their current release format to experiment with something different?

I hope not, but I guess we'll just have to play the waiting game.

MechaPilot

Explorer
When you say that an adventure *must* get released alongside a Dark Sun Adventure's Handbook (or whatever), you're right. There is simply no way to do a Dark Sun adventure without also releasing setting-specific character building tools. A Dark Sun adventure is just too far removed from vanilla D&D.

So, the question for me becomes: does this make it significantly less likely that we'll see a Dark Sun release? Is Wizards too stuck on their current release format to experiment with something different?

Well, it might not need a whole new setting book. I suppose they could always sell some kind of download key with each Athasian Adventurer's Guide so you can get a digital copy of the original setting.

Nickolaidas

Explorer
Well, it might not need a whole new setting book. I suppose they could always sell some kind of download key with each Athasian Adventurer's Guide so you can get a digital copy of the original setting.

Nononono ... Nothing vital for any d&d campaign should only be released as a pdf file, imo. Campaign setting player guides should be released as hardcover books, imo. They are the core material for a campaign, besides the three books.

Unless you're talking about quick guidelines that are posted online before a true, bulky book comes out. That, I have no problem with.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
PDFs tend to sell more than books nowerdays. Its just the way of the industry

But hey, I'm just happy Dark Sun won! Would have been fine with Ebberon as well, but I am verrrry "eh" about Dragonlance as a setting

Remove ads