• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin, Oath of the Anti-Arcane

Elon Tusk

Explorer
A friend of mine asked if I could make him an anti-magic paladin.
Here's what I came up with:

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 4.24.19 PM.png

What needs tweaking?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

I created this over my lunch hour because I wanted to get it back to my friend quickly.
I had picked out Detect Magic but then realized I didn't know how Oath Spell leveling worked so when I went back to select spells I forgot that one - I'll switch out Shield for it.
I picked Teleportation Circle as a way for the paladin to follow a mage, but I wasn't completely happy with it. Perhaps Hold Monster works better.

The oath name is kind of clunky.
Maybe Oath of Purity?

Alexemplar

First Post
Some thoughts...

First, as mentioned before, Detect Magic definitely needs to be on their list of spells. Better yet, allow them to detect magic when they use their Divine Sense.

Secondly, I don't generally see too many NPCs using concentration spells specifically. Make it broader by allowing them to prevent an enemy struck from casting spells at all. Or censure them, making them take some damage every time they cast a spell or maintain concentration on a spell.

The Oath of the Ancients Paladin also gets an anti-magic aura. I'd just re-use the wording.

Finally, I'd put Spell Interruption on a short rest timer and possibly make it a reaction. Being able to shrug off spells every once in a while is one thing. Being able to cast Dispel Magic/Counterspell pretty much at-will seems a bit much. Then again, I doubt the DM will generally want to ever waste even a single NPC action trying to target a character with this feature with a spell, making it kind of moot.

Other features that could be interesting. Taken largely from the anti-magic Templars of Dragon Age and Protectorate of Menoth from iron Kingdoms...

Passive bonus like advantage on attack rolls or bonus damage when the target that just cast a spell or is under the effects of a concentration spell. Could apply to summoned monsters as well.

The ability to treat weapons as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance. Or ignoring all defense bonuses/resistances that come from spells when attacking and dealing damage.

The ability to turn demons (possibly fey), since this trope of the Holy Anti-Arcane Knight usually works under the assumption that arcane magic involves dealings with malevolent spirits. Although again, it'd be very similar to the Oath of the Ancients.

Remove ads