D&D 5E 5th edition force cage spell

tk32

First Post
So, I'm running into an issue of this spell - as written being over powered. (I'm the DM for my group. The wizard of the party also has DMed for many more years than me and also thinks it's overpowered, but used it anyways... :) )

The force cage spell as written is:

"An immobile, invisible, cube-shaped prison composed of magical force springs into existence around an area you choose within range. The prison can be a cage or a solid box as you choose.

A prison in the shape of a cage can be up to 20 feet on a side and is made from 1/2-inch diameter bars spaced 1/2 inch apart.
A prison in the shape of a box can be up to 10 feet on a side, creating a solid barrier that prevents any matter from passing through it and blocking any spells cast into or out of the area.
When you cast the spell, any creature that is completely inside the cage’s area is trapped. Creatures only partially within the area, or those too large to fit inside the area, are pushed away from the center of the area until they are completely outside the area.
A creature inside the cage can’t leave it by nonmagical means. If the creature tries to use teleportation or interplanar travel to leave the cage, it must first make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, the creature can use that magic to exit the cage. On a failure, the creature can’t exit the cage and wastes the use of the spell or effect. The cage also extends into the Ethereal Plane, blocking ethereal travel. This spell can’t be dispelled by dispel magic."

The wizard used it as a cage (meaning it has openings throughout the cage)... Which the creature would have total cover, but all attacks would go through the cage. The Cage prevents the creature from escaping the cage. They could attack, if they have ranged attacks through the cage just like the PCs but probably with disadvantage or cover since they'd be attacking through cover as well.

This leads to a one sided battle that allows pretty much any monster to be neutered. The PCs all took to using cantrips for up to the 1 hour duration to just cast a bunch of spells at the monster. I deemed it took around 15 - 20 minutes to cantrip it to death. The wizard did use a fireball to reduce the time, but overall the spell neutralizes any monster out of the battle. So, If Pcs are up against an adult and even an ancient dragon, boop, force cage. Now just shoot it to death from a distance, it can't do anything.... Yes, it's a 7th level spell and should be powerful. However, most anything could be killed within an hour of being shot at with cantrips and at will ranged attacks.. An ancient lich that has defined death for 1000s of years is just undone by a single seventh spell?

Thoughts on how you've balanced this spell? Or is there any clarification on whether monsters can be killed while in the cage?

Fanaelialae

Legend
It is undoubtedly a top-notch spell, but it is 7th level after all.

For starters, there are size limitations. Anything too big to fit inside is unaffected, so ancient dragons are immune.

Secondly, it generally affects one big creature at a time. Sure you crammed that giant in the force cage, but you still have to deal with his friends. (As in pretty much every edition of D&D, pitting the PCs against a lone big bad is asking for your bad guy to get smoked.)

Lastly, teleportation (even the humble Misty Step spell) can extricate the target (with a successful check) meaning that a creature can potentially escape. Given that you won't be seeing this spell prior to 13th level, frequent teleportation is not out of the question. (It can also be counterspelled.)

It's certainly potent, but it can be dealt with.

Yep, just used it last weekend to trap an Adult Dragon in and blast it do death with ranged spells (using LOTS of spell slots...). This same dragon started the encounter with an unstoppable (box text) blast on the group with its' breath weapon for mucho damage, so no, I don't see a problem with a high level party doing this. Also, there are ways out of the cage - if it has bars then getting really small or gaseous form works, if not then use a method of teleporting or plane shifting using the method provided. If a creature can't do that, then they ran into the new top of the food chain.

tk32

First Post
Initially I thought it was over powered. However, I looked at some content on Dungeonworld briefly and one thing echoed to me. If something made the big bad boss fight at the end too easy to overcome, this is poor work on the DM part not on the players and players shouldn't be punished for this...

If taking one creature out of the battle truly defeats the entire encounter, then let it. Let the story play out... I was more concerned about creatures like Tiamat, or Planar allies that are planes walkers... And you've been caged..... Tough for me to see a God's incarnate being thwarted by a cage... But, there's definitely other spells that would be able to do the same thing without killing the creature.... Sometimes, not being killed is worse than death. :)

In my opinion after thinking this through, this is more of a case to well done on defeating the encounter instead of how dare you!

Remember that a very large creature with wings does not necessarily fit within a 20' cube, in the same way that a human does not necessarily fit within a 5' cube. I feel like that's an important balancing factor for the spell.

tk32

First Post
That part's open to interpretation. Can a huge creature fit.... Yes... Does that mean it would fit if it's wint's are oustreteched and it's flying... NO. But, it could fit, if the wings were tucked in... So, the question becomes from a game play stand point.... Would the creature be forced to fit in the cage? Or would it be able to spread it's wings, legs, and head to fight the cage. In which case, there should be some type of save vs. the spell.

At the same time, no creature is going to want to be caged, so, I would probably lean on the side of if the creature can fit it is caged....

Remember that a very large creature with wings does not necessarily fit within a 20' cube, in the same way that a human does not necessarily fit within a 5' cube. I feel like that's an important balancing factor for the spell.

I agree. I like limiting the smaller cage to Large or smaller creatures and the larger cage to Huge or smaller. Gargantuan won't fit.

Stalker0

Legend
To me the best fix is to only allow the complete sealed version, not the cage version. And I mean you can even allow that with the bigger creatures.

The cage is actually a much stronger version because if the monster lacks for ranged options....it is completely hosed. With the sealed version, both the monster and the party cannot affect each other...which is more balanced. This becomes an "auto banishment" which is more in line with a 7th level spell.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I'd probably allow it a Dex save like the Pathfinder version. If the component were consumed on casting I might rethink that.

Although more likely we just reboot the campaign at 12th.

How thick is an arrow shaft anyway - those 1/2" apart invisible bars seem pretty narrow.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
I'm happy to hear about the conclusion you've come to regard the balance of the spell, but if I may offer one piece of advice: Don't give all your creatures anti-force cage measures. Yeah, make sure your big bad has some way around it, but keep in mind it is a high level spell with a really costly component; if it's not a big encounter, maybe let them get the auto-win.

Remove ads