Poison needle traps

Ristamar

Adventurer
I wholeheartedly endorse a more structured Exploration phase and have been planning on applying it to site based exploration, as well. The Overland/Wilderness Travel rules already provide a basic framework, so tweaking the player options and adjusting the timescale isn't terribly difficult.

In regard to random encounters/wandering monsters, I was thinking of assigning an Active status (High, Moderate, Low, Inactive) that correlates to the frequency of checks and possibly other features of the site. The status could change based on the season, time of day, consequences of the PC's actions, etc.

I'll do a separate thread on this at some point if I get some interesting results in actual play.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

iserith said:
I'll PM you the draft of my Exploration Phase handout so you can see my full thinking on it.

Any chance I could get a copy, as well?

Wyvern

Explorer
Time's not exact measure in this dungeon, anyway. In the arena, time is marked in "half day" intervals measured by a tidal river that ebbs and flows in a 12 hour cycle . . . give or take an hour (in 10 minute increments) because the tide is caused by the breathing of a Great Old One asleep at the bottom of a lake).

Hunger Games: Cthulhu?

Any chance I could get a copy, as well?

Ditto.

Wyvern

Explorer
I don't have the option to send you a PM. I sent a friend request to see if that allows for a subsequent PM. Probably one of the settings you opted out of.

Friended. If it still doesn't work, you might consider posting it on Dropbox or something like that.

Satyrn

First Post
Hunger Games: Cthulhu?

If I'd ever read or watched Hunger Games (and liked it) that would be the case, since this campaign is heavily populated by elements of the stuff I like. It started with monsters, maps, and NPCs drawn directly from Borderlands. But when I realized that the fiend captains the players slay simply reform in their home plane and can come right back for more, I had to acknowledge Shadow of Mordor. It kinda snowballed from there.

My favorite bit is actually the pantheon I'm using: The gods include Aphrodite and Ares (who look and behave exactly like they're on Xena), and Loki and Thor (from the Marvel movies, although this Loki doesn't get to date Taylor Swift).

But no, I'm not a fan of it, so it's not the Hunger Games: Cthulhu.

Wyvern

Explorer
I was mostly being facetious. The second Hunger Games book takes place in a circular, bowl-shaped arena with a lake in the middle and regular timed events. Hence the comparison.

Satyrn

First Post
I was mostly being facetious. The second Hunger Games book takes place in a circular, bowl-shaped arena with a lake in the middle and regular timed events. Hence the comparison.
I enjoyed the facetiousness. But I figured I'd explain a bit more, to say it actually would have been exactly that if I was a fan. I'm now even actually a little disappointed I'm not a fan and can't call it Hunger Games: Cthulhu.

Well, not Cthulhu. I used Tsathoggua instead.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I'll PM you the draft of my Exploration Phase handout so you can see my full thinking on it.

Have you considered consolidating some of your Search options, specifically the options of searching for traps and searching for secret doors? Both processes should have a lot of commonality, and there are many circumstances in which a PC won't know if they've found part of a trap or a secret door without further investigation. By segregating the Search actions, one can make an immediate inference.

FYI, I posted this question rather than PM since others have expressed interest in your document.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Have you considered consolidating some of your Search options, specifically the options of searching for traps and searching for secret doors? Both processes should have a lot of commonality, and there are many circumstances in which a PC won't know if they've found part of a trap or a secret door without further investigation. By segregating the Search actions, one can make an immediate inference.

FYI, I posted this question rather than PM since others have expressed interest in your document.

I view them as tasks different enough from each other to warrant separate tasks. Aside from that, the more options that are on the table for the PCs, the more they have to think about how they want to divide up their labor and how much time they want to spend on it. I'm testing it now in actual play so I'll keep an eye on what you suggest and see if it might work better. So far the current system seems to work and after a couple of sessions I'll ask the players if they see value in combining the tasks.

Remove ads