Here comes "Chaotic Wacky" ......again.

Ymdar

Explorer
Although I know most of my players 4+ years I still create campaign rules document with the most important rule of being:
"Don't be an A**hole."

My go-to method for dealing with Chaotic Disruptive is to rely on group consensus and have the group vote together on courses of action. Not every time, mind you. Just the important ones. D&D is a group activity, and generally speaking this sort of behavior is designed to divert the focus of the game to just one person instead.

Another option, if the rest of the group doesn’t mind this player’s behavior, since you don’t mind, is to start looking at ways not to kill their PC. Sure, chances are the orc chief would want to slaughter this impertinent interloper. But what if they decide to interrogate them? Or the red dragon decides to play with their food and challenges the PC to a riddle game. They get some RP in while the rest of the group executes a rescue operation. Stuff happens as a result of their actions, but the game goes on.

aco175

Legend
My 12 year old son recently started playing with my normal group and that was his only exposure to style and roleplay. He seems to play more or less like the rest of us combined with being 12. It is fine, we both seem to have fun. We recently went to a convention where he was exposed to other people and their style of play. Immediately his next character was modeled after a few halfling barbarians he saw others playing and even named him kind of silly like the convention players had. It seemed to open his view on style of play and should make him a more rounded player.

Nothing wrong with players who want to play certain ways and do not mind having their PC killed off for entertainment. We used to play with a player who would get bored with a concept and have the PC get killed off so he could try a new combo. Maybe exposure to something else is what the player needs to see how others play and then he can modify his style if he chooses.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
What do you guys do about players who INSIST on playing wacky, insane, chaotic, uncooperative, Leeroy Jenkins characters, EVERY....SINGLE....FREAKIN...TIME?!?!

I've killed this player more times in my career as a DM than all of the other players combined. But yet again...here comes another wacky unpredictable character.

Don't get me wrong. I don't actually mind. He's a pretty funny guy. Except that he frequently puts himself in situations where death is literally the only option. Sometimes I feel a little bad because when he inevitable dies I feel like I am punishing him for playing the character he wants to play. (Over and over and over)

To echo others you didn't say if anyone at the table had a problem with it. If not then LEEEEROYYY JENKINS!!!!!

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
We have a rather wacky female player. (Good Friend of my wife and actually quite entertaining most of the time). Predictably, when a magic potion was found in treasure she immediately opened and drank it not knowing what it was, sealing her mouth shut with Sovereign Glue. Priceless, though my comment of 'Why couldn't my wife have done that almost landed me in the driveway for the night.

the Jester

Legend
Or play a ‘chosen one’ where his death would mean the end of the campaign.

In my not so humble opinion, you should never have one pc in a campaign whose death would end the campaign, with the possible exception of single-player games. Otherwise, there should not be a "main character". Everyone should be the main character.

Dispater

Explorer
In my not so humble opinion, you should never have one pc in a campaign whose death would end the campaign, with the possible exception of single-player games. Otherwise, there should not be a "main character". Everyone should be the main character.

Not so much main character, but one that is integral to the quest. I ran a campaign like that, and I was clear about it from the get go, if that character died, it would be over. It worked just fine.

Remove ads