2 new Ravnica Novels coming in 2019

gyor

Legend
That is a lot of novels for a company that isn't a novel publishing company. Now that Ravnica is part of the D&D family of settings, I guess this makes these D&D novels, not just magic the gathering novels. Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, 2 new Ravnica novels, Ravnica minis, Ravnica Guild D&D dice, Ravnica Map Set, 3 new Ravnica Sets of Cards, a cool Ravnica trailer, and I think they are going all out for Ravnica.

By the way this is the first time since 2010 that they are publishing an MtG novel. Hopefully it's a sign they will soon be ready to do more FR D&D novels as well, aside from Drizzt novels of course.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is WotC publishing the novels, though, or have they licensed MtG like they have with D&D novels?

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I looked at the pick of the book cover and noticed the publisher on the spine, Del Rey. I wonder if Del Rey would be interested in publishing none Drizzt FR novels.

gyor

Legend
"Planeswalkers from many disparate realities will team up with the Gatewatch against Nicol Bolas and his unstoppable army who has claimed dominion over Ravnica. The book will feature well known characters, like Chandra, Gideon and Jace, alongside all new characters."

Could one of those disparate realities be FR? Elminister is a Planeswalker effectively, so is Mordiekien, and Nazram World Walker. Maybe others.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
"Planeswalkers from many disparate realities will team up with the Gatewatch against Nicol Bolas and his unstoppable army who has claimed dominion over Ravnica. The book will feature well known characters, like Chandra, Gideon and Jace, alongside all new characters."

Could one of those disparate realities be FR? Elminister is a Planeswalker effectively, so is Mordiekien, and Nazram World Walker. Maybe others.

It won't be FR, this is continuing the MtG storyline so it will be separate from anything DnD. It will likely also stick to MtG themes such as the colours of mana rather than DnD terms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I looked at the pick of the book cover and noticed the publisher on the spine, Del Rey. I wonder if Del Rey would be interested in publishing none Drizzt FR novels.
Well, there you go: the game company isn't publishing any novels, they found folks willing to pay for the privilege.Think the D&D novels seem to be HarperCollins, which is a different publisher. Wouldn't expect much crossover.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The MtG novels tend to be awful though. Their reputation is worse than D&D ones as occasionally you get a good D&D ones.

That was circa 2010 from memory the only good ones were the Urzas ones from the 90's.

Zardnaar

Legend
Things like wikis are often better than the source material. Traditionally the Brothers War is regarded as a good Magic series novel. When I used to play often won fatpacts which came with the novels and tried reading Guildpact and Dissention which were part of the Ravnica block.

Alara ones were dreadful along with Odyssey ones. Basically everything from Brothers War to Kamigawa was utter crap (1998 or so through to 2005). Kamigawa novels apparently we're OK.

Have not paid attention to MtG since 2010 or so though maybe they got better recently. The world's were interesting though.

Ravnica block was probably my favourite block of all time for sealed, draft, block and standard games. Think I played Dragonstorm and Gruul/Zoo.

Last edited:

Remove ads