The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Ryujin

Legend
Considering how bad things are in this episode, other than Claire, everyone's hair and clothing and face is all clean, etc.

Costuming/makeup did NOT do its job to reflect how bad things are on the characters.

PLUS:

If the Kalyon's are so superior, why were they so bad marksmanship and tacticians.

As for bad tacticians... why did the rebels leave their base to become living targets? And why was the base not covered from all sides from the Kalyons?

It felt like they rushed to get this strip written/approved/filmed without thinking it through.

Over all, this was one of the poorest outings for the Orville.

The Kaylons were great shots when they started to take the rebel base, because NPCs. They kept missing Mercer and Malloy because PCs/"The Force is strong with them."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Words of wisdom that would shorten many sci-fi movies and franchises to 15 minute action sequences:
cAFOwQ3.gif

Kaodi

Hero
I kind of thought the treatment of time travel was inconsistent. Young Kelly was all like, "we know it will work because it already worked," but then the plot turns out that it did not work. That feels pretty contradictory to me: presumably Commander Kelly already had this time travel incident happen to her and it worked then so why is there some sort of weird time travel two step going on where it both worked and did not work at the same time? And how they solved it with the Doctor just fading away was just weird.

I enjoyed watching the episode, but between that and the black hole stuff it was not very satisfying. Like somehow they can hide in a black hole but ocean pressure is a *problem* . The chronometer business is fine, I mean their ship should have the capability to calculate what the time variance would be. But the fact that they can "see" what is going on inside the black hole is super dumb: if their sensors can accomplish that inside the black hole they should be able to accomplish it outside.

In any case I think the fact that Young Kelly is younger and mildly prettier than Commander Kelly is not that relevant to the dating situation. Like, you could do that some plot with Captain Kelly and most of the same issues would apply: what does it mean to be attracted to a different but completely real version of a person you love but whom you cannot be with?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If they could hide in the black hole safely, why couldn’t the Kaylons come in to take a look? They hid behind a curtain and the Kaylons spent two days peering at the curtain but treating it as an impassable barrier. Obviously they knew they were in there. Did the good guys have technology that the Kaylons didn’t?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If they could hide in the black hole safely, why couldn’t the Kaylons come in to take a look? They hid behind a curtain and the Kaylons spent two days peering at the curtain but treating it as an impassable barrier. Obviously they knew they were in there. Did the good guys have technology that the Kaylons didn’t?

I think the Kaylon didn’t want to waltz into an ambush. They couldn’t see beyond the event horizon, so going in on their prey’s tail would have set them up for taking weapon fire right where it hurt.

Besides the bad physics, though, I wonder why- when they had perfect camouflage- they didn’t simply emerge from the event horizon at a different point from where they entered. THEY wasted 2 days watching Kaylons.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the Kaylon didn’t want to waltz into an ambush. They couldn’t see beyond the event horizon, so going in on their prey’s tail would have set them up for taking weapon fire right where it hurt.

So just send one ship first. Or even just a probe.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So just send one ship first. Or even just a probe.

Ship or probe goes in. Gets blown up. Kaylon receive no data on what happened because the action is on the other side of the event horizon.

Only if the ship or probe returns, do they get data- prey destroyed or disappeared.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases