Best Psionics Resource

Retreater

Legend
My upcoming campaign is going to feature psionics (partly because I'm using the same setting for concurrent 4e and 5e games).
What resources do you recommend for psionics in 5e? There seem to be many options on DMsGuild.
Specifically I am looking for something that will provide a similar level of depth to other spellcasting classes (wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, etc), where a culture can replace arcane magic with psionics.

aco175

Legend
The new cover thread is saying that Wizards is coming out with 4-5 supplements this year. One os ship/pirate themed and another Eberon by the looks. Not sure on if Dark Sun will make the cut.

Retreater

Legend
The new cover thread is saying that Wizards is coming out with 4-5 supplements this year. One os ship/pirate themed and another Eberon by the looks. Not sure on if Dark Sun will make the cut.

I'd love to see a DS book down the road, but it's not so helpful to my campaign that's starting this month. Haha

jgsugden

Legend
I'd love to see a DS book down the road, but it's not so helpful to my campaign that's starting this month. Haha
The UA article that outlined an approach to psionics is a good start and will likely be the easiest thing to transition into whatever final psionics option WotC adopts.

Vael

Legend
My upcoming campaign is going to feature psionics (partly because I'm using the same setting for concurrent 4e and 5e games).
What resources do you recommend for psionics in 5e? There seem to be many options on DMsGuild.
Specifically I am looking for something that will provide a similar level of depth to other spellcasting classes (wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, etc), where a culture can replace arcane magic with psionics.

Unfortunately, Psionics continues to be in flux. Mearls seems to have a brand-new concept for Psionics every other month or so. I haven't looked at third party iterations, but the current model, the Mystic (version 3) is a functional 1-20 class, but I don't know if I'd bet the campaign on it.

I've played the Mystic, and it's okay(?). Dunno, it was a one-shot adventure. There's a lot of ways to specialize the class, but I'm not sure how well they play at higher levels, the Psionic Mastery class feature is frustrating and obtuse.

I'd expect a new playtest of Psionics sometime this year, but not sure when. And, personally, I'm not comfortable using playtest material in a full campaign. Silly one-shot? Sure.

And, for me, the wait on Eberron and Psionics has been frustrating, as I like Psionics, and Eberron is my favourite setting.

Yaarel

He Mage
We are still waiting for 5e psionics.

In the meantime, it is ok to simply put on a ‘psionic’ tag onto any class or class archetype that feels psionic to you.

For example, I treat the entire Bard class as a psionic class − with its mental magic of charm, illusion, and divination, its psychometabolic healing and transmutation, and its telekinetic sound and light.

Mechanically, the main characteristic of a psionic spell is, there is never a material component, and the player can choose between verbal, somatic, or concentration to gain the proficiency bonus of a focus.

Spells with a costly gp component are a pain in the neck, and I handle these on a case by case basis. Normally, simply restrict the number of times one can cast them (such as once per day, or once per week, or similar).

Rellott

Explorer
I’m a fan of the psion class published by Paradigm Concepts in their Arcanis setting/campaign guide. I like the whole setting, but the class by itself is pretty cool too.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
You could also just take the easy/not very interesting approach of treating psionics as casting a spell but needing no components to do so. That's how the Monster Manual does it, and it can work as a stopgap.

Remove ads