Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

cmad1977

Hero
why, because you don't like my thoughts?
I'm free to think, and above all, write here, anything I want within the forum rules.
and I think wotc has no clear publishing strategy nor decent approach to release schedule. and that hiding that behind 'four years of playtesting are needed for a basic class' is ridiculous and disrespectful of customers' intelligence.

Oof. Someone doesn’t pay attention.

Let me offer the alternative viewpoint: Thinking it is okay that WotC sits on its thumbs crunchwise for year after year sounds an awful lot like mindless fanboyism.
Thinking that WotC has sat on its thumbs crunchwise for year after year sounds a awful lot like hyperbole. Particularly in a post that quotes someone detailing some of the crunch that WotC have been putting out year after year.
You may not like it. You may want them to make more. But you can't deny that they have put out crunch.

To me, the shifts in how many fans react depending on their corporate masters is ridiculous.
Eh. My corporate masters couldn't really care less about how I react to D&D.

"During 3E what WotC did or said was the Worst Thing Ever to happen to D&D and every dissenting voice was fanboyism. During 4E whatever WotC did or said was the Worst Thing Ever to happen to D&D and every dissenting voice was fanboyism (although there were less of those voices).

And now with 5E what WotC does (or doesn't) or says is laziness, incompetence or hatred and every dissenting voice is fanboyism."

In reality, of course, not releasing a single new class in five years is a huge disappointment. There is nothing unreasonable about this sentiment.
Certainly not. You're entitled to state your own personal opinion or sentiment. That you and others were personally hoping for more official base classes for 5e is entirely acceptable and politely stating this preference in a thread about WotC's release schedule would be completely reasonable.

Man, I feel like the boy calling out the Emperor as naked. There are too many people content to discuss which exact week the second iteration of the Artificer comes out, and not enough people questioning the overall dearth of new classes and the obvious fact that WotCs so called "strategy" for new content... is to release next to nothing at all!
Nah. You're the boy calling out that the emperor should be wearing less silk and more fur. :p

People interested in the Artificer class are interested in when it comes out, and are discussing it in a thread created for that exact purpose. Are you upset that there are a lot of them?
Are you upset that a lot of people are happy with 5e's release schedule?

5 years of complaining about WotC's release schedule, and still the complainers haven't found an interesting or creative way to complain. The laziness of the complaining class is beyond dispute. The Troll Overlords need new shills.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
and I think wotc has no clear publishing strategy nor decent approach to release schedule. and that hiding that behind 'four years of playtesting are needed for a basic class' is ridiculous and disrespectful of customers' intelligence.

I'm not sure claiming they're directionless is reasonable, we're just not privy to their internal production cycles. We can see that their intent with UA is to publish these outcomes in books, only the classes and races are made generic so as to not tip their hand as to what is next in line. Although as the artificer is so heavily tied to Eberron, they can only hide that connection for so long.

I don't feel they're hiding behind years of playtesting, that's extremely belittling of the entire playtesting and feedback process and implies malice where there is none.
The mechanical and narrative framework of 5e is also different to past editions, the question of whether a class or subclass fits within that framework and the question of how to design within that framework are things that need to be hammered out and worked upon. The extremely easy fix is to rush it out and do a rush job, but then they'll be decried for their carelessness and inability to test properly.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
5 years of complaining about WotC's release schedule, and still the complainers haven't found an interesting or creative way to complain. The laziness of the complaining class is beyond dispute. The Troll Overlords need new shills.
I like how they call everyone who is happy with how the DnD team is doing things a corporate shill. So thought provoking, I'm sure many have rethought their generally happy position on the release schedule after being called a shill.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I like how they call everyone who is happy with how the DnD team is doing things a corporate shill. So thought provoking, I'm sure many have rethought their generally happy position on the release schedule after being called a shill.

It's even worse if you validate their complaints by telling them that it's okay that they don't like something.

I guess the part where they get upset is when you tell them that them not liking something doesn't mean that it is wrong. And perhaps people like it this way.

Maybe it comes down to people being attached to D&D. I've seen people have the stance that it should be all things to all people because it is D&D. If there are people who don't like the game then it is flawed.

It's funny that this idea is still prevalent after we had 4e.

There was a time when people thought D&D might be dead forever. But now that it is not only doing well but is the most popular RPG of all time, people feel they are entitled to it being a certain way.

I'm thankful it is still going. I'm also thankful that it is exactly what I want. I didn't care for 4e at all but I was happy for those who did.

Remove ads

Remove ads