Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you're talking about the 2005 BSG reboot series then it had four seasons, not one. The BSG reboot spin-off prequel series, "Caprica", had only one season.

No the original BSG, it had 1 season and a follow up season with different characters and a different setting.

It wasn't good, rewatched it a few years back.

Ryujin

Legend
No the original BSG, it had 1 season and a follow up season with different characters and a different setting.

It wasn't good, rewatched it a few years back.

That would be "Battlestar Galactica" and "Galactica 1980." The original was very much a creature of its time and the esthetic shows it. Remember, this was the end of the disco era and that doesn't age well. It was pretty great at the time.

Zardnaar

Legend
That would be "Battlestar Galactica" and "Galactica 1980." The original was very much a creature of its time and the esthetic shows it. Remember, this was the end of the disco era and that doesn't age well. It was pretty great at the time.

FOr sure I liked it as a kid but don't remember much until I rewatched it around 2008. Of Galactica 1980 I remember flying bikes and super jumps, that is about it.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
...I identify as a "Star Trek Fan".

/snip

I've been waiting for a new Star Trek show since the last one ended, and followed the development of Discovery closely. And I want to like it. Because having a Star Trek show and not watching or enjoying it causes an identity crisis in how I perceive myself and my actions.

/snip

I want to like Discovery.

This.
I do not like Star Wars, at least the representation of that universe on the big screen. I'm very much in the Star Trek camp.

I think a large part of my disappointment with the show will ebb away if they changed it more to an ensemble cast rather than the focus on Burnham. There is hope that given that Michael has dealt with all her backstory issues now, the format of the show will change, which is something I can look forward to.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Last few episodes we're better, end was good. Burnham was also better, actor is decent.

Treks kind of new remember TOS, TNG, and DS9. More in the Star Wars camp but liked some trek episodes and movies when younger. Quite enjoyed DS9.

It's more expectations, you have a show with GoT level budget but it's not as good as Trek from 25 years ago.

There's so much quality around and over the last 20 odd years you expect more IMHO.

Hussar

Legend
Again, I'll stack up the first two seasons of TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise vs the first two seasons of Discovery any day of the week. Or, if we're comparing apples to apples, the first two seasons of Discovery vs the first season of those four shows. Same number of episodes after all.

No contest as far as I'm concerned.

Sadras

Legend
Again, I'll stack up the first two seasons of TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise vs the first two seasons of Discovery any day of the week. Or, if we're comparing apples to apples, the first two seasons of Discovery vs the first season of those four shows. Same number of episodes after all.

I dunno, T'Pol is all levels of hot :p

You're right. DS9 wins.

The first four episodes of DS9 are amazing. Emissary is the best pilot of any Star Trek show, setting up the conflicts and personalities of all the cast. You walk out of that not just knowing what the story of the series will be, but the interactions, dynamics, and motives of the cast.
Battle Lines (episode 13) is a dramatic shake-up for Bajor that has lasting consequences, building off the growing focus on Bajoran politics. Duet (episode 19) is a masterpiece and one of the best episodes of the series. And the finale, In the Hands of the Prophets, is dramatic and tense without having to rely on explosions and gratuitous SFX, with the tension being the characters you have grow to care about while facing an enemy that can't be defeated by punching it in the face.

The first season of DS9 is rough, but it's also set-up. They're slowly building the universe. It's super apples-to-oranges compared to the one-and-done series of Discovery where the entire plot changes every dozen episodes. But even then, the first season if DS9 is still very different than later seasons, as the tone really focuses on being on a broken and under-equipped station.
And it deals with issues facing the real world. Religion in schools. Rebuilding after wars. Military assistance overseas. Loss of culture. It has a maturity of storytelling simply not displayed by Discovery.

It's also curious why you didn't include TOS in that list...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases