Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

MarkB

Legend
Thing is that it seems they've played with what the Prime Directive actually is, over the years. In the TOS days it was about not messing with less advanced (non star-faring) cultures so as not to alter their independent growth and development. Screwing with the Eminiar VII-Vendikar war wasn't mentioned as a Prime Directive issue, because they were both developed cultures. In later years it morphed into not interfering with *any* cultures, developed or otherwise.

The Prime Directive was always about not interfering with pre-Warp cultures. The Federation also avoids interfering in the internal affairs of other powers, but that's not part of the Prime Directive.

Hussar

Legend
The Prime Directive was always about not interfering with pre-Warp cultures. The Federation also avoids interfering in the internal affairs of other powers, but that's not part of the Prime Directive.

Yeah, I was going to say. They more or less defined the Prime Directive as not interfering with pre-warp cultures, which Eminiar VII-Vendikar certainly were. Never minding that world they go to where everyone is stuck in 1930s Chicago. :uhoh:

But, yeah, breaking the Prime Directive is hardly something new.

In TNG, they seemed to have extended that, however. IIRC, Picard explicitely mentions that due to the Prime Directive, they can't interfere in the Klingon Civil War. (Only when the Romulans became involved they could interfere). This doesn't sound like it would have been a Prime Directive case in TOS.
I'd say it had become a bit overzealously applied in the later series. (Though maybe one of the most offensive cases of it being applied was in ENT, where the Doctor refused to save a dying species. Though in that case, it wasn't the Federation's Prime Directive, it was only a Denobulan thing, so it's not quite the same.)

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, I was going to say. They more or less defined the Prime Directive as not interfering with pre-warp cultures, which Eminiar VII-Vendikar certainly were. Never minding that world they go to where everyone is stuck in 1930s Chicago. :uhoh:

But, yeah, breaking the Prime Directive is hardly something new.

"Pre-warp cultures" was never mentioned until the TNG days.

In "A Piece of the Action" there was an effort to try and mitigate prior interference, caused by the book "The Gangs of Chicago."

Mallus

Legend
And season 3 is a go! Bring on Captain Saru and his new aggression ganglia with deluxe spike-throwing action.

re: the Prime Directive - I like to think of as aspirational. Or maybe propagandistic. It's either who the Federation *want* to be or who the Feds tell themselves they *are*, despite that frequently -- and entertainingly -- not being the case.

Mallus

Legend
"Pre-warp cultures" was never mentioned until the TNG days.

In "A Piece of the Action" there was an effort to try and mitigate prior interference, caused by the book "The Gangs of Chicago."
In "Armageddon" the Enterprise is transporting that jerky diplomat whose whole mission is to open official relations with the isolationist Eminiari (sp?). No mention of pre-warp.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I got scooped. I was going to post the show was renewed. Also Section 31 is expected to premiere after season 3. I can hear Nerdrotic and Geeks & Gamers crying in their beards now.

Ryujin

Legend
In "Armageddon" the Enterprise is transporting that jerky diplomat whose whole mission is to open official relations with the isolationist Eminiari (sp?). No mention of pre-warp.

No mention of the Prime Directive that I can recall either, though I haven't seen that episode in a while.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I think it's because of mishaps with Enterprise they create The Prime Directive. It's done either during the shows run or shortly after. Captain Archer didn't have the same limitations since in some cases he was the first to do them.

MarkB

Legend
So, The Search For Spock is over, but Spock's Brain still has some assembly required. And now they're going to Talos IV, some time in advance of the Enterprise's scheduled first visit.

Not much else stood out for me about this episode. Time anomaly was timey-wimey, Section 31 was gratuitously evil, pretty standard stuff.

Remove ads