Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker Trailer

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Look, clearly Palpatine survived the fall into the reactor, and then survived the Death Star explosion, and then survived the fall into Endor's gravity well, and has just been chilling out waiting for somebody to come pick him up.

New Sith power: Survive Infinite Falls.
For Palpatine, the exploding reactor was just a push so he was falling in another direction.

Mercurius

Legend
It looks good...or, at least, there is nothing that stands out as "Uh-oh."

That said, not sure how I feel about the Palpatine implication. I mean, if he's not dead after ROTJ, then he's virtually unkillable. I suppose he could be a force ghost, and then maybe we can have a rematch of him and Luke as force ghosts. Or would they need proxies?

One other thought: maybe this will allow them to redeem Kylo Ren, and say that he was in essence possessed or at least strongly influenced by Palpatine's urgings. Maybe what needs to happen for the Force to be "healed" is for someone to not only turn away from the Dark back to the Light, but do so and live...Anakin did it, but died and thus was never really tested.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That said, not sure how I feel about the Palpatine implication.

Yeah. I'm not sure this is a creatively rich direction. I am hoping for something in the "Project Cinder" line, in which Palpatine left behind plans that would reach fruition only after a long period of time.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah. I'm not sure this is a creatively rich direction. I am hoping for something in the "Project Cinder" line, in which Palpatine left behind plans that would reach fruition only after a long period of time.

That makes sense to me. The problem seems to be that none of the Ep 7-8 villains are really evocative - not Darth Emo, Snoke, or the First Order. But at this point, it would be odd to introduce a new villain...so maybe they decided to circle back around to the tried and true Palpatine.

MarkB

Legend
I get a strong impression that Rey and Kylo will end up teaming up in this one. The scene at the start simply doesn't work as a confrontation - Kylo in his starfighter could have ripped through Rey with a barrage of laser fire before getting close to her, or wiped her out when she made her leap just by flying slightly upwards.

It feels like either a training exercise, or the set-up for a combo move - maybe Rey winds up riding on top of Kylo's fighter as they head in against a mutual foe.

Zardnaar

Legend
That makes sense to me. The problem seems to be that none of the Ep 7-8 villains are really evocative - not Darth Emo, Snoke, or the First Order. But at this point, it would be odd to introduce a new villain...so maybe they decided to circle back around to the tried and true Palpatine.

They don't have time to develop a new villain. They can use the Emperor without resurrecting him though either his legacy (they have hinted at this in the new books) or as Umbran said something like Project Cinder where Palpatine left behind Droids with his personality/instructions in them.

I liked most of the trailer but I thought the TIE fighter jumping was kinda lame along with Palpatines laughter at the end, the rest was quite good. The TIE jumping was more Sonic the Hedgehog to me a'la The Clone Wars (bit much/silly), and Palpatine laughing was more "really they're going there". Palpatine resurrected, surviving in spirit form, or legacy is a good question to raise though see how they execute it.

In the new canon they confirmed that Palpatine is basically Anakins father, he could theoretically survive as a dark side spirit in the wreckage of the Death Star II. Rey could be a force experiment 2.0 a'la Anakin was one thought I did have as Palpatine's spirit could conceivably create a new person. Just hope they don't go with Palaptines spirit tries to possess Rey as he created her with the intention of getting a new body (its been done before). There is also a little something left behind on Jakku in the new canon.

Mercurius

Legend
If Palpatine survived in any form what I question--aside from just the improbableness--is the time gap...what is it, 30 years? What has he been doing?

The new body for Palpatine thing is intriguing.

Zardnaar

Legend
If Palpatine survived in any form what I question--aside from just the improbableness--is the time gap...what is it, 30 years? What has he been doing?

The new body for Palpatine thing is intriguing.

It was an idea from the old EU and the new one as they had Palps create Anakin. The old EU he had clone bodies he oculd switch between.

In both EUs Sith spirits are a thing, they are generally tied to a location like a tomb or whatever. Yoda came across Darth banes spirit on Korriban.
If you have played the KoToR games similar thing with their spirits. So some fragment of Palatine surviving makes sense in universe old and new canon. With clones and spontaneous creation of life being possible along with possession there are several ways they can go. Palps laughter could be a flashback, spirit, clone, resurrection, AI program, or possession. Resurrection would be kind of a groan, the others are a bit more interesting. It would also tie the 3 trilogies together. If Rey isn't technically a Skywalker but was created in a similar way and claims the Skywalker name, whats in a technicality/name.

Last edited:

Remove ads