D&D 5E Is it possible that the Revised Ranger is not dead?

Xeviat

Hero
I'd welcome another stab at a variant. I want the beast master ranger to work. I've been trying to rebuild it to have a pet from first level but the design space isn't really big enough.

Remathilis

Legend
By the sounds of it, they aren't going to go and wholesale change the class (IE, anything that invalidates the PHB) so I don't expect wild departures like a spell-less variant or the original Ranger test they floated with the ghost-puppers.

So what can they do to fix the class?

They could design some meatier new sublclasses that replace the current crop. There is already some power disparity between the PHB subs and the Xanathar ones (bonus spells being an example) but that does little fix the main class problems like Favored Terrain or Favored Enemy. Also, some of those newer Xanathar subs are sweet, and hunter is generally liked.

They could likewise add more spells and combat styles, but I fail to see those move the needle and many of those abilities end up shared with other classes anyway.

They could offer alternative class features, but I'm 90% certain that anything that comes out will be better than the PHB options so its functionally optional Errata.

They could, also, just errata the class features to beef those up more. However, that runs into the traditional problem with errata.

Finally, they could just add a new subsystem that plays nice with the ranger (such as a proper animal companion rule not tied to familiars or Beastmaster) but again, that doesn't fix the problem with rangers per se and instead is just a band-aid.

I dunno, any other ideas?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Finally, they could just add a new subsystem that plays nice with the ranger (such as a proper animal companion rule not tied to familiars or Beastmaster) but again, that doesn't fix the problem with rangers per se and instead is just a band-aid.

They should do this (proper animal companion) and give a ranger subcless additional abilities with it. Kills two birds with one stone.

Thats basically my homebrew, use the revised animal companion for anyone that acquires one, and have the ranger beastmaster have a better bond/synergy.

I've always liked the idea of giving Rangers a 2nd-level spell that's their equivalent of the Paladin's Find Steed.

lkj

Hero
Jeremey Crawford spent a little time on twitter dispelling the notion that there would be a completely revised class. And I quote:

"He was referring to the alternative class features we're exploring for various classes, including the ranger. These would be optional rules, not a redesign of a class."

link: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1141455272939884544

I like that they are thinking a bit more globally than the ranger. I like the idea of them exploring alternate features for various classes. Sounds interesting.

AD

Remathilis

Legend
Jeremey Crawford spent a little time on twitter dispelling the notion that there would be a completely revised class. And I quote:

"He was referring to the alternative class features we're exploring for various classes, including the ranger. These would be optional rules, not a redesign of a class."

link: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1141455272939884544

I like that they are thinking a bit more globally than the ranger. I like the idea of them exploring alternate features for various classes. Sounds interesting.

AD

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Meh, please. let's at least make the animal companion optional. Lots of people love it, I really don't. Maybe a subclass, except one that works and doesn't suck so all those fine people who do love their animal friends can also have nice things.

Spreading the bonus spells out to all the subclasses would help. The whole preferred enemy thing can go. I'd replace it with something about analyze foe. Let the ranger be a guy who can figure out weaknesses and whatnot in general, rather than just about one group. Same with terrain, take out the specifics and give him an ability that can be used regardless of terrain. Including underground and in cities.

I'm curious on what would be variant features on other classes other than the Ranger. Don't get me wrong that class needs a bunch of tweaks to make it more appealing in my eyes, but have they ever mentioned anything else other than for example not having the Monk use Two-Weapon Fighting as their "virtual fighting style".

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Meh, please. let's at least make the animal companion optional. Lots of people love it, I really don't. Maybe a subclass, except one that works and doesn't suck so all those fine people who do love their animal friends can also have nice things.

Agreed.

The whole preferred enemy thing can go. I'd replace it with something about analyze foe. Let the ranger be a guy who can figure out weaknesses and whatnot in general, rather than just about one group.

They gave that ability to the Monster Slayer subclass in XGtE.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases