D&D 5E 5e's new gender policy - is it attracting new players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again... you're quoting the wrong person. I have no idea about giantish languages, and the post my quote links to have nothing to do with giant languages....?
Sorry. Only explanation I can think of is that the quote tag for one of your posts somehow got stuck in my clipboard and so I was pasting that instead of the proper quote tag for Tia. I've made extra sure it won't happen this time! :)

Yeah. Somehow your name ended up in a quote of my post.

Which he also totally missed the point of.
Nah, I got the point, I just wasn't as interested in it as I was in the implicit linguistic theory.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Lots of big words,
Thanks.
but I don't think they show that you understood the argument.
Oh.
I'm not making any claim about who is with or against anyone; I am observing that the measurable effect of media which do not include particular categories of people, is to marginalize those people in society. If only some media are inclusive, people are more marginalized.

You said that any media that isn't supporting your position is opposing your position. How is that constructively different from 'if you aren't for us, you're against us?' Because instead of 'you' you only meant 'media'?

D&D matters to me, because I've been playing D&D for most of my life and it's one of my major social activities.
Dittos. But it's a game I play with friends, not something with which I choose to make social statements.

If properly controlled studies show that a given thing is having a given effect, saying so is just plain truthful.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Is this in response to claiming that D&D is too niche to really matter in the broader culture war, or to my saying that defining a problem so that almost everyone is included in the problem is a poor start? If so, what properly controlled studies are there on those topics? That would be excellent reading.

The thing here is, no one is advocating that D&D become some major battleground with thousands of hours of speeches about it in the Senate or anything. Just, you know, maybe sometimes an occasional character in a module who isn't hetero by default. This is not a particularly hard request to satisfy, it gives a clear and measurable benefit, and it does not appear to do any harm. Why not?

Again, I'm now a bit confused. I started with that. Plus using designated blank spaces for people to add in their own, if they choose to. You said that wasn't good enough because not everyone would choose to add LGBT, and I asked why that was a problem, D&D isn't a proper vehicle for social change. And then we ended up here. If we agreed to start, what happened?

I didn't say "equal time", and people do in fact appear to be able to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant categories. I was not talking about "erasure", specifically. But really, you think I'm "going too far" by suggesting that it would not hurt anyone if an occasional NPC were gay?
Whoa, had a weird out. This bit you're responding to here wasn't even something you said -- it was a response to another poster (Tia). You most certainly didn't say those things, we are agreed.

Right now, there's lots of blank space; the issue people are observing is merely that there's no non-blank space that isn't heterosexual.
You've missed the nuance of my proposal. Right now, the blank space isn't really blank, it's just unstated. Most NPCs don't have anything one way or the other. My proposal is to put in a call out that this NPC is unfinished -- no name, no gender, no orientation -- and tell the DM that they need to supply that information. Make it explicit like I just did, and you will have more people have to personally think about gender and orientation than you will just putting in a gay transgender NPC. Many will put down 'cis straight' for sure, but they'll at least have had to think about it for a moment.

But, as I said above, my proposal and specifically including LGBT NPCs aren't enemies.

Except that this isn't even remotely close to what I said. I did not say that anyone who isn't with us is against us. I said that media which are uninclusive contribute to marginalization. If you disagree, feel free to come up with citations to disprove the existing work in the field showing the effects of media representation. And even if you have such citations, you're making a heck of a jump from anything I said to anything you're responding to.
I love that I have to show citations to refute you (if that was my desire) but you didn't have to show citations to make your point.

That aside, you did say that any media not on your side is opposing you. It's a very short leap from there to 'if you're not with us, you're against us (so long as you're media).' I omitted the parenthetical to make a rhetorical point. Media that isn't inclusive doesn't contribute to marginalization -- marginalization is occurring due to other factors and media that isn't inclusive does nothing to combat that. That's not contributing, it's just not helping. D&D not having gay NPCs doesn't marginalize gay people. D&D having gay NPC won't unmarginalize gay people. It's not a binary condition. The root of this is the conflict between the theory that media reflects society and the theory that media drives society. You're in the latter camp. I'm in between the two. I just don't see D&D as anything large enough when viewed from at the theatre level of the culture war to matter -- it can't drive anything. It's in the reflection camp. Insisting on tactics useful for media that does have power to drive (movies, music, TV, some internet) for media that's largely reflective isn't a good use of resources. Push your agenda where it makes a difference and it'll show up in D&D. Push it in D&D, and it'll stay there (maybe).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, now I'm back to intentionally looking for offense in 20+ year old sourcebooks. It's not shocking that your found it. No one is shocked by that. Pointing to that as a big 'background history of racism' is pointless.

Of course it isn't. This wasn't meant to be a shocking revelation, just to support the broader points of vigilance and intentional counteracting.

We all know racism exists, existed, and will continue to exist. The important thing isn't that you can find some obvious unintentional racism back in the day, its how much has changed since then. That passage doesn't exist in today's D&D. Instead, we have call outs to be more inclusive of things that would have caused a public outcry in the days that DOMA and DADT were being passed in Congress. Those are dead, and that mindset is fading. Pointing out that it used to exist is like saying that we need to be careful going outside because once there were velociraptors.

Velociraptors don't exist. Bigotry and discriminatory effects and things like that still clearly do. Those things are not dead and that mindset is not fading in all corners. This thread wouldn't be 100+ pages long if there was nothing to discuss. The blurb in the PHB is notable because it is exceptional, after all.

If we start actually forgetting that we're better and working hard towards being even better than that, then sure, drag out the history books and point to where we've done this all before. Until then, it's just looking to be offended so that the righteousness doesn't fade.

It's not about being offended, it's about including these ignored elements in new stories and caution against doing similar things today. No one's clutching at pearls because someone was a bit racist once upon a time, but unless you somehow imagine that racism is "fixed," it's still relevant to discuss the ways in which it happens - especially the unintentional ways from 20 years ago, because those ways are still happening today (even if D&D itself is getting better).

What WotC did with the diversity statement is a good thing. It's moving in the right direction. It's leaps and bounds above what's come before. 1989 source books have little to say about where we are or where we are going. It's a nice platitude to say 'don't forget the past', but that only works if we're actually in danger of slipping. I don't see that.

If you don't see that, it's because you're lucky, not because bigotry (especially unintended discrimination) doesn't exist.

What I do see is people eager to enact massive social changes, and angry that it isn't happening faster. This is one of the fastest social changes in Western history -- less than 10 years from no chance to national recognition of marriage rights. Suffrage didn't happen that fast, nor did Civil Rights. I see things moving quickly and well in the right direction, but taking militant stances like 'failure to have things that look like me is erasure!' or 'if you're not for us, your against us' are ridiculous things to start saying when you're winning the culture war. It's a fast way to see some pushback from the middle that's happy to go along so long as you don't paint them as heedless bigots on the wrong side of history.

This isn't a political agenda, it's just noting that these things happen without thinking, and that you can pull a lot of cool ideas from the things that the past forgot.

seebs

Adventurer
You said that any media that isn't supporting your position is opposing your position.

No. I said that media which excludes people from representation results in reduced acceptance of the people excluded.

How is that constructively different from 'if you aren't for us, you're against us?' Because instead of 'you' you only meant 'media'?

It's not a claim about taking positions, and it's not a claim about intent or goals, solely a claim about outcomes. Books with no black people in them reduce, however marginally on an individual-book basis, social tolerance of black people. Books with no gay people reduce, however marginally, social tolerance of gay people.

Dittos. But it's a game I play with friends, not something with which I choose to make social statements.

Unfortunately, humans are social animals. We are always learning about our society, which means that any time you do social things, you are making social statements. If you do not choose to make social statements, that just means you aren't deciding which ones to make; you still end up making social statements.

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Is this in response to claiming that D&D is too niche to really matter in the broader culture war, or to my saying that defining a problem so that almost everyone is included in the problem is a poor start? If so, what properly controlled studies are there on those topics? That would be excellent reading.

On the former. I would also argue that the correct way to start is by studying what is true, and not by dismissing any question of truth in favor of arguing whether something is tactically advisable to say. Start by learning what is true, then think about how to approach it tactically.

Realistically, it does appear that by and large, almost everyone is part of most social problems, because that's how humans work.

Again, I'm now a bit confused. I started with that. Plus using designated blank spaces for people to add in their own, if they choose to. You said that wasn't good enough because not everyone would choose to add LGBT, and I asked why that was a problem, D&D isn't a proper vehicle for social change. And then we ended up here. If we agreed to start, what happened?

I was pretty sure your post explicitly said "do not include LGBT people, just add blank spaces so that some people will and others won't".

And it doesn't matter whether you like D&D as a vehicle for social change. All social activities are vehicles for social change, or at least influencing the direction of society. They can't stop doing that no matter how much we might want them to, because that is simply not how human societies work.

You've missed the nuance of my proposal. Right now, the blank space isn't really blank, it's just unstated. Most NPCs don't have anything one way or the other. My proposal is to put in a call out that this NPC is unfinished -- no name, no gender, no orientation -- and tell the DM that they need to supply that information. Make it explicit like I just did, and you will have more people have to personally think about gender and orientation than you will just putting in a gay transgender NPC. Many will put down 'cis straight' for sure, but they'll at least have had to think about it for a moment.

That's a neat theory, but it's not actually true in general, because that's not how people generally work; they generally just put in whatever they think is the default instead of thinking, because that's easier.

But, as I said above, my proposal and specifically including LGBT NPCs aren't enemies.

You presented your proposal as a thing which ought to be done instead of including them, so far as I could tell.

I love that I have to show citations to refute you (if that was my desire) but you didn't have to show citations to make your point.

Well, that's the nice thing about advocating the position that's generally accepted in the field; you can just point out that in general, studies have consistently shown that representation matters, and be done. If you want to show that it doesn't matter, then you're proposing that I reject the mainstream position of the field, and that's something I am uninclined to do without stronger evidence.

That aside, you did say that any media not on your side is opposing you. It's a very short leap from there to 'if you're not with us, you're against us (so long as you're media).' I omitted the parenthetical to make a rhetorical point.

The point you made was that you were comfortable with misrepresenting what I said.

Media that isn't inclusive doesn't contribute to marginalization -- marginalization is occurring due to other factors and media that isn't inclusive does nothing to combat that. That's not contributing, it's just not helping.

This is an interesting claim, but it contradicts what I know of the state of the art, so I am not willing to accept it without strong evidence.

The thing you may be missing is that people use all their exposure to things-about-people as part of how they understand what people are like, and what kinds of people are normal/acceptable and what kinds are out of the normal acceptable boundaries. Humans are innately predisposed (mildly) to xenophobia; if something is not depicted as part of your world, it will be received with some degree of hostility more often than not. (More generally, the human brain has a huge bias towards equating "familiar" and "good".)

D&D not having gay NPCs doesn't marginalize gay people. D&D having gay NPC won't unmarginalize gay people. It's not a binary condition. The root of this is the conflict between the theory that media reflects society and the theory that media drives society. You're in the latter camp. I'm in between the two.

No, I'm not in the latter camp. I'm in the camp that thinks that both of these are at least somewhat true.

I just don't see D&D as anything large enough when viewed from at the theatre level of the culture war to matter -- it can't drive anything. It's in the reflection camp. Insisting on tactics useful for media that does have power to drive (movies, music, TV, some internet) for media that's largely reflective isn't a good use of resources. Push your agenda where it makes a difference and it'll show up in D&D. Push it in D&D, and it'll stay there (maybe).

That's simply not how people work. All the things people experience influence them. D&D may not influence all that many people directly, but it can be hugely influential because the players are so much more immersed and involved in the worlds they create and participate in. Furthermore, it has significant effects on players of D&D, and as it turns out, I care about that particular category of people because I interact with them disproportionately often.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I heard about the HERO vote. That's horrible that people would do that. I always thought Houston was such a progressive city.

I keep looking for sarcasm tags on that progressive city comment, but I can't find any. You might be thinking of Austin.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
Houston elected a Lesbian mayor, so I thought that was a good sign that Houston was relatively progressive?

Cities in general are relatively progressive. But when nobody actually shows up to vote, bad things happen.

That nobody showed up to vote, though, shows the depth of a lot of problems. Trans folks are going to keep getting hurt if our allies (we make up less than 1% of the population; we literally CAN'T win political fights by ourselves) don't care enough to show up.

EDIT TO TIE INTO TOPIC: And that's a fair bit of why representation is important. It's part of what gets the people not directly affected by these things thinking about them - a rather large part. Trans folks are, like I said, less than 1% of the population; we can't arrange things so everyone knows and loves an out trans person in their own lives. We need the media - we need television, we need film, we need video games, we need tabletop games. We need D&D.

Last edited:

Fedge123

First Post
D&D is so bad it's a wonder that anyone who isn't a knuckle-dragging, misogynist, racist, homophobe, can even crack open one of the rule books without turning into a black pudding, weeping and quivering in the corner. Think of the children, and other sensitive persons.

If those who know better than you and I don't ban the books, the covers should at least be wrapped in plain brown paper and come with a Surgeon General's warning! Trigger-warnings anyone? If people want to buy this material they should be forced to get it from some sleazy guy in a trench coat down some back alley. Cash (or barter) only!

"Want to play a fantasy role-playing game?" Well that line has certainly earned me a few slaps and disgusted looks over the years, although come to think of it, there was that cute redhead who wondered, "Do I have to wear a costume?" But, I digress ...

Hello!?!? Wake up people and get with the Program!!!

D&D and the typical player are so offensive and awful I don't know where to even begin ...

Think about your typical D&D adventure: A group of players meet in a tavern (are under-age players even allowed to do that??), on the edges of civilization and venture into the untamed wilderness to kill monsters and savages for the glory of their deities, or their kingdoms, or greed! Might makes right! There are so many brutish, inferior races and creatures in Dungeons and Dragons for players to kill it becomes hard to imagine them as anything but The Other. It's blatant colonialism and imperialism. A proxy race war! Diversity only exists for the players to exterminate. If Leni Riefenstahl were filming the D&D movie it would look like Triumph of the Will set in Faerûn!

Just look at the PHB - players choose their Race before they choose a class! So much for judging by the content of our character eh? MLK is rolling over in his grave...

You ever notice all the plusses humans (read: White Male Imperialists) get to add to their attributes? That's no accident. Those greedy dwarves who crave gold? If that doesn't set your anti-semetic radar buzzing you need to report to sensitivity training. Elves, gnomes, half (not three-quarters or two-thirds)-lings, Tiefling the Devil race ... Half-orcs? WOW, what can you say there? Rape culture anyone? There's just too much to racially deconstruct with a postmodern enlightened mind I'll need to do a graduate school thesis.

You want to discuss Class Warfare? Just read this forum. Warlord anyone?

The new multi-cultural pictures? That little blurb about the new gender policy in fifth edition? Greedy corporate lip service! It's just the exception that proves the rule! Like that Drizzit Drow character (Or however you spell it, I can't do weird foreign names). Poor guy – he's rejected by all: too good to be accepted by his own people, misunderstood, an outcast. Yeah, right ... as if we can't see through that ruse!

Don't even get me started on the Drow ... Hello? Underdark = Under Class. Black skin = Evil. And they're slavers to boot! Ha! Sweet Home Alabama now there's a clever twist! Plus the Drow have that whole 'Queen of the Spiders', caught in Her web, matriarchal, psycho-sexual torture thing going on (Side Note: nothing wrong with BDSM, it's a valid lifestyle choice, the original FRPG) but it just perpetuates all the misogynist stereotypes against strong, powerful women. Out Of The Abyss is just code for The War on Women.

The earlier editions of D&D are even worse - I can't define pornography for you, but I know it when I see it! Remember all the pictures of naked and topless females in the old books? It was so bad I used to have to hide them under my bed so my Mother wouldn't see. Remember that illustration of the Succubus? Wow, that kick-started the teenage hormones didn't it? Woot!

What? Right. I'm offended. I need to make a saving throw.

;)

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If you don't see that, it's because you're lucky, not because bigotry (especially unintended discrimination) doesn't exist.
Really? So it's getting worse than it was five years ago, when gay people couldn't marry? Or ten years ago, when DADT was the law. Or 20 years ago, when racism was much worse than today? Or 60 years ago, before civil rights?

Things are progressively (see what I did there?) getting better every day. We aren't slipping, we're improving. Don't take my statement as thinking that everything is hunkydory, but it's definitely moving in the right direction and at a good clip.

seebs

Adventurer
The claim was "in danger of slipping" (emphasis mine), and that seems a safe bet, because it is the default state of all moral or ethical goals to be "in danger of slipping".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads