D&D Modules and Campaigns

Balfore

Explorer
Wouldn't it be nice to see a little extra thought put into a module or campaign, wherein, the writer/editor puts a list of 'needed monsters' and 'named NPCs' at the beginning of each chapter?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Henry

Autoexreginated
It would be nicer, to me, if people stopped using "name in bold" for standard monsters and instead put even an abbreviated stat block with AC, hit points, attacks and damage. It would be more helpful than me having to retype all stats on my notes all the time.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
That's crazy talk! Why, next thing you know you'll be suggesting that published modules have flow-charts, options for adding/subtracting scenarios, and helpful examples of how things played out in real life.
2hand.gif

S

Sunseeker

I'd be happy if it was just a little clearer read. Like, separate the story from the game elements. Every time I open up a campaign book I'm at a complete loss for how to run it because it seems like I'm bouncing all over the place.

Balfore

Explorer
All really good points! [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION], I find that making a Word document, with 2 columns works for me.
First I format the Word doc with 2 columns.
Then I search online for stat blocks for the monsters I need.
Then I use the Google snipping tool, and paste the entire block into a column.
Then, at the bottom, I make numbered lines that look like this:
1. AC 15, HP 45_______________
2. AC 15, HP 45_______________
and so on (however many there are of that monster). That allows me to keep track of HP as we go.

I continue that process for the entire section.
Then I email the doc to my job and print it in black and white (no need to waste ink at home, lol).

Balfore

Explorer
Here's a screenshot.
Back the the main topic...
If there was a list at the beginning of each chapter, it would be really helpful

275dbdef86bb24f96bb74daf43d4d7ce.jpg

pukunui

Legend
I'd be happy if it was just a little clearer read. Like, separate the story from the game elements. Every time I open up a campaign book I'm at a complete loss for how to run it because it seems like I'm bouncing all over the place.
I know what you mean, and what with Chris having to apologize to his DCA crew for stopping the action so he could flip around in the CoS book to find what he was looking for (or in the PHB to find an answer to the players' questions), you'd think that the WotC guys would want to improve on the method of delivery too ...

That's crazy talk! Why, next thing you know you'll be suggesting that published modules have flow-charts, options for adding/subtracting scenarios, and helpful examples of how things played out in real life.
2hand.gif

Quoted for truth!

Many years ago, I read a module that had a section "What happens if there were no PCs" which went through the timeline and summarised the actions of all the NPCs if the PCs had never got involved. It was an excellent "big-picture" summary of the whole module. More module-writers should include this.

delericho

Legend
It would be nicer, to me, if people stopped using "name in bold" for standard monsters and instead put even an abbreviated stat block with AC, hit points, attacks and damage. It would be more helpful than me having to retype all stats on my notes all the time.

I believe part of this is so that the storyline books can be adapted easily to other editions - where the book says "orcs", just substitute the stat-block for the edition you're actually using. Of course, I have no idea if anyone is actually using the new storyline books with other editions...

As regards copying the stat-blocks, I do wish they'd revive the old practice of making the relevant appendix available as a download (as they did with, say, "Red Hand of Doom"). That said, I do understand why they might not want to just give away huge chunks of material. :)

Remove ads