D&D 5E Is it possible that the Revised Ranger is not dead?

Kurotowa

Legend
Yeah, for the RAW I think you have to give a specific time slot.

But for a given table, it’s whatever works.

I think the only anti-abuse clause I'd want to add up front is that short rests are declared for the entire party, not on a per-character basis. There's just a little too much temptation to minmax if different PCs are picking their short rests at different points.

gyor

Legend

The original tweet from Jeremy is down below.

"Jeremy Crawford
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford

Replying to

@Navy_DM

and
[MENTION=7434]James[/MENTION]Introcaso

He was referring to the alternative class features we're exploring for various classes, including the ranger. These would be optional rules, not a redesign of a class."

I'm curious what other classes might be getting alternate features. I know that some people are unhappy with the Sorcerer's spells know, but I don't think trading metamagic for another feature would solve that (new metamagic however, like one that changes damage type would work well, and metamagics that allow you to use spells in a new way, like metamagic to use an enchant spell on undead ignoring charm immunity on undead, or other stuff).

I not sure what other class would have alternative features?

Kurotowa

Legend

All of them? I fully expect we'll get a Xanathar's type 2020 book with a chapter of alternative class features, instead of yet more new subclasses. There aren't so many classes that they can't hit them all. It's just some will be "new variant the core book doesn't offer" and others will be more "fixes to a class the PHB didn't get quite right but it's still optional if you liked the original version".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The original tweet from Jeremy is down below.

"Jeremy Crawford

[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford

Replying to

@Navy_DM

and

[MENTION=7434]James[/MENTION]Introcaso

He was referring to the alternative class features we're exploring for various classes, including the ranger. These would be optional rules, not a redesign of a class."

I'm curious what other classes might be getting alternate features. I know that some people are unhappy with the Sorcerer's spells know, but I don't think trading metamagic for another feature would solve that (new metamagic however, like one that changes damage type would work well, and metamagics that allow you to use spells in a new way, like metamagic to use an enchant spell on undead ignoring charm immunity on undead, or other stuff).

The Ranger is the only Class in the game where a significant percentage of the population is dissatisfied, true (Mearls said the next most dissatisfactory Class is within the margin of errornof the most popular Class). However, each Class does have Level 1 restrictions that limit possibilities for newer types of archetypes, like the Wizard Spellbook or Cleric Domains. New takes can open up new opportunities for stories.

gyor

Legend
And they should realize that you can't make a full mage without making it a bit overpowered.

And they should realize you can't make a holy knight without making it overpowered.

And they ...

Oh wait, if all of the classes are overpowered, then they ae all balanced against each other.

So declare every other class overpowered and then create a beastmaster of equal power.

We're already got summoners. We already have polymorph. We've already got people who can cast wish. If that power isn't enough to cover a decent 2nd melee combatant then I can't conceive of the power levels you want.

Summoner need some low level work as there is no combat summons at 1st and 2nd spell levels, unless you include the investation cantrips.

gyor

Legend
The Ranger is the only Class in the game where a significant percentage of the population is dissatisfied, true (Mearls said the next most dissatisfactory Class is within the margin of errornof the most popular Class). However, each Class does have Level 1 restrictions that limit possibilities for newer types of archetypes, like the Wizard Spellbook or Cleric Domains. New takes can open up new opportunities for stories.

What do you, how does cleric domains limit the kind of Cleric archetypes you can make?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do you, how does cleric domains limit the kind of Cleric archetypes you can make?

By definition, having elements that work a certain way limit the ability to do something else: 5E subclasses do not change base Class features, as 2E Kits did. What they are talking about is exploring options that rewrite the base Class, i.e. Kits rather than Subclasses.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases