D&D 5E Why a New D&D Video Game Should Be 16bit/2D

I just want a D&D game that stays 100% accurate to its rules. Maybe even allow to switch on and off variants.

Actually I want two games like that. One based on 4e and one on 5e.

Lanliss

Explorer
In what specific ways are Terraria or Stardew Valley D&D style fantasy RPGs? Where are the hex-crawling, dungeon-crawling, roguelike, etc.. elements in Terraria or Stardew Valley? For what specific reasons would someone who wants to play a D&D style fantasy RPG (like the Infinity Engine games or NWN1/2) even consider playing Terraria or Stardew Valley?...

No Hex crawling on terraria, but otherwise it is all exploration, delving into dungeons in a randomly built world, and getting better loot to help you survive longer. Sounds pretty similar to D&D to me, since I don't personally consider hex crawling a requirement for D&D. Only thing it is missing is classes and skills.

How exactly is Terraria "not" a Exploration/combat RPG? It has magic, a breadth of weapons that mostly behave differently, magic items that give interesting abilities.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Looking at Terraria now, it looks awesome lol.

It can be quite addicting.

2016-01-16_00001.jpg

Sammael

Adventurer
I just want a D&D game that stays 100% accurate to its rules. Maybe even allow to switch on and off variants.

Actually I want two games like that. One based on 4e and one on 5e.

ToEE was 100% accurate to 3.x rules. It sucked, because PnP rules do not translate well to computer games - instead of immersive gameplay experience, it ended up being boring as hell.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
ToEE was 100% accurate to 3.x rules. It sucked, because PnP rules do not translate well to computer games - instead of immersive gameplay experience, it ended up being boring as hell.

That's kind of the crux - folks seem to believe that character sheets, dice, classes, hit points and all that jazz that are parts of pen and paper RPGs require representation within a digital format, otherwise they're not playing an RPG. Especially designers wishing to capture a demographic conveniently boxed and labelled 'D&D players'.

Which is understandable. And we need to recognize that these are elements that are required to play a pen and paper rpg (usual exceptions for various systems apply). They are not, however, the game itself. We roll dice to randomly generate a value, which can be used to determine an outcome, be it a save, a hit point value, the chance of being hit by a meteor and so on.

Likewise, a character sheet is a handy, low cost method of tracking and remembering various values which are used during play.

A level system is form of feedback, empowerment and reward - a player can associate a level with various qualities, a higher level indicates more powerful qualities and a new level itself is clear reward for an accumulation of successes.

And so on..

However, these are various elements of D&D that collaborate to form the mechanics are not the game - they are the parts of a machine that make a game possible.

So when folks talk about a 'D&D game' I tend to worry. Creating a quality gaming experience can be really tough. And because of the subjective nature of each of our D&D experiences, the clear common ground tends to be the trappings of the system itself - so naturally, designers tend to focus on that. D&D? That means ..character sheets and.. levels and classes and hit points, right? Better get them in there! Otherwise how else will our audience know they're playing an RPG, right?

Not really. For me at least, I could do without some or all such trappings and still enjoy an RPG experience in a digital format. I don't need the actors in a (typically abysmal) movie to whip out a character sheet for me to know I'm watching a D&D movie. Likewise with a D&D game. What I do want in a movie is obviously a matter of my own personal tastes (giant robots, sentient squid women and a midget chase scene, along with excellent cinematography and character development) - each to their own.

So for me, a D&D computer game, whatever that really is, should be prepared to hide and even throw away the trappings of the pen and paper system, and instead focus on delivering a quality gaming experience. Or, better yet, embrace the digital format and develop a system that empowers players and DMs to carrying on playing - but better - using the digital format to enhance the experience.

Zardnaar

Legend
Have you played Starbound? Builds on Terraria's core gameplay, adds procedurally generated planets. Space ship, cute sci-fi etc. Good stuff.

Any major differences between the PC/Console/Xbox versions. PC one is a lot cheaper, I would prefer to blob out on the couch.

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think the issue there was, for me at least, that the player side of the game stuck to the 3.x rules as close as it could, but the DM side of the game (how many monsters of what types you encountered at once) adhered to the actual module rather than adjusting for the 3.x assumptions for encounter design, resulting in a poor experience overall because the difficult of the game was pushed well above that which someone following the 3.x DMG's guidelines for encounter building would have.

At least that's how I remember things, it's been a while since playing it, but I distinctly remember the game starting with too many giant frogs and then going immediately into being outnumbered by bandits.

Remove ads