Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

jgsugden

Legend
I believe this is going to end up being a full season of a show that then gets picke up by a network like Netflix. I have to admit, the first time I lstened to them I wondered if this was going to happen eventually, and when they did the animated intro for D&D Beyond I wondered when we'd see it go for real.

Kurotowa

Legend
I am surprised. I wonder about this could be a revolution in the industry of animation. Cartoon studios could use this to test what titles would be interesting for the public.

No. That's the opposite of what makes for a successful Kickstarter. Big Kickstarters come from proven properties and experienced teams. No one's going to throw millions of dollars on an unseen title from someone trying to move up a rung on the production ladder. They want Order of the Stick prequel books because they know and love OotS. They want Critical Role animated episodes because they know and love Critical Role.

Kickstarter is great for tapping an existing audience. If you're trying to get an actual kick start for something brand new, you have to set much more modest goals.

Total tangent: Legendary (owners of Geek and Sundry and Nerdist) recently announced pulling the plug on Project Alpha. I wonder if losing Critical Role in any way contributed to that.

I'm wondering if their retconning the dragon character out of the campaign entirely?

Tiberius appeared in the Dark Horse comicbook. But they are leaving him out of the animation. And I assume if they start documenting stories from the stream he would be left out of that too. Their split with Tiberius' player is well documented elsewhere.

Shame to not have Trinket in his adorable rolly-polly armor. Awesome to have him doing the furrowed brow that Mercer would always do when acting out Trinket bits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiberius appeared in the Dark Horse comicbook. But they are leaving him out of the animation. And I assume if they start documenting stories from the stream he would be left out of that too. Their split with Tiberius' player is well documented elsewhere.

Unlike a comic book they would either have to have Orion voice the character or hire someone else, which would be pretty contentious. I don't see them wanting Orion around for something that requires voice work. I doubt they ALL have issues with him, but (avoiding too much speculation) there is probably still at least "awkward blood" between him and one or more of them, and they are definitely "unified front" group. He also just seems like a difficult person to work with and has publicly insisted on his ownership of the character.

Fortunately for them it's fairly easy to forget that Tiberius existed with however many hundreds of hours of post-Tiberius episodes Vox Machina had.

akr71

Hero
Total tangent: Legendary (owners of Geek and Sundry and Nerdist) recently announced pulling the plug on Project Alpha. I wonder if losing Critical Role in any way contributed to that.

Yes, I wondered the same, but I also wondered if the Critical Role team saw the writing on the wall. They may have known Project Alpha's days were numbered and it may have been a contributing factor into opening their own studio and their own Twitch and YouTube channels.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Unlike a comic book they would either have to have Orion voice the character or hire someone else, which would be pretty contentious. I don't see them wanting Orion around for something that requires voice work. I doubt they ALL have issues with him, but (avoiding too much speculation) there is probably still at least "awkward blood" between him and one or more of them, and they are definitely "unified front" group. He also just seems like a difficult person to work with and has publicly insisted on his ownership of the character.

Orion has been embroiled in other controversies after his break with Critical Role.

Orion has been embroiled in other controversies after his break with Critical Role.

Good point; you are very right. I was focusing on things I wouldn't have to look up details for and that seemed more directly relevant to his time with critical role or the Tiberius character, but he definitely did some sketchy stuff after parting ways with the show.

Good point; you are very right. I was focusing on things I wouldn't have to look up details for and that seemed more directly relevant to his time with critical role or the Tiberius character, but he definitely did some sketchy stuff after parting ways with the show.

People still ask if he's ever coming back. [sblock=SPOILER]Even after Vox Machina found Tiberius' dead body and no one suggested Pike resurrect him.[/sblock] And the answer was always 'no'. I doubt they even answer any more.

Remove ads

Remove ads