Celestial Patron Warlock, Blade Pact

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
What the OP wants is to persuade their DM to give them a finessable staff.

There are other options if you leave out one of the initial stipulations. Such as race = Tortle.

So I think the OP wants to a Celestial Patron Warlock base on the back story who can use a staff. Really a Celestial Warlock 1 / Monk X would do that but then the character would actually be a monk.

Perhaps you are correct in that the "optimal" Celestial Patron Warlock is actually a tome lock with shillelagh, booming blade/green flame blade, hex, Polearm Master (not for but end strike but for opportunity attacks when they enter reach), then war caster so you can use booming blade/green flame blade on your opportunity attacks to make the most of hex instead of hitting twice

Str:10 Dex:16 Con:14 Int:8 Wis:8 Cha:16 with Armor of Shadows 13, +3 dex = AC16

I think I like the Human variant with Moderately Armored Feat with Scale mail 14, +2 dex, +2 shield (+ 6 lbs) = AC18 with 1d6+3 quarterstaff best but I like the defense and I the the OP is like you said more interested in a functional staff.

Quartz

Hero
I'm liking the idea of Monk. How about reskinning a Monk of the 4 elements with abilities appropriate to Good and Light rather than elements?

You might even invent an opposing Monk of Darkness.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So I think the OP wants to a Celestial Patron Warlock base on the back story who can use a staff. Really a Celestial Warlock 1 / Monk X would do that but then the character would actually be a monk.

Perhaps you are correct in that the "optimal" Celestial Patron Warlock is actually a tome lock with shillelagh, booming blade/green flame blade, hex, Polearm Master (not for but end strike but for opportunity attacks when they enter reach), then war caster so you can use booming blade/green flame blade on your opportunity attacks to make the most of hex instead of hitting twice

Str:10 Dex:16 Con:14 Int:8 Wis:8 Cha:16 with Armor of Shadows 13, +3 dex = AC16

I think I like the Human variant with Moderately Armored Feat with Scale mail 14, +2 dex, +2 shield (+ 6 lbs) = AC18 with 1d6+3 quarterstaff best but I like the defense and I the the OP is like you said more interested in a functional staff.

I am really thinking this path through currently. I like the idea of eldritch smites is the main issue here. However, I also wanted some utility as an ambassador/herald of the patron, so the ritual magic would make this part MUCH easier. For me, GFB is fine, but giving up all of the blade pact invocations would be hard.

I will give this hard thought as the weekend approaches and I will likely be playing him!

And unfortunately the text of eldritch smite says "you can expend a warlock spell slot", which means multiclassing isn't going to do you any favors, although I suppose you could take magic initiate to get one more slot per day.

ES feels like it fits into my long-standing belief that the (non-hexblade) bladelock is really supposed to be a magical assassin, since it seems like it is really there so you can take out one enemy in quick order, not mow through hordes of enemies like a paladin (spending spell slots on divine smite like they grow on trees), barbarian, or fighter (if you think hordes of enemies are in your future, you might as well take EB).

Warpiglet

Adventurer
And unfortunately the text of eldritch smite says "you can expend a warlock spell slot", which means multiclassing isn't going to do you any favors, although I suppose you could take magic initiate to get one more slot per day.

ES feels like it fits into my long-standing belief that the (non-hexblade) bladelock is really supposed to be a magical assassin, since it seems like it is really there so you can take out one enemy in quick order, not mow through hordes of enemies like a paladin (spending spell slots on divine smite like they grow on trees), barbarian, or fighter (if you think hordes of enemies are in your future, you might as well take EB).

These are wise words. However, as to the spell slots, my plan (if I act!) would be to take a level of divine sorcerer or bard (must be thematically appropriate) so that I can burn 1st level slots on protection from evil, comprehend languages or detect magic (If I do not take eldritch sight).

In this way, I would save my higher level slots which recharge for smites. If something comes up that requires one of them for survival or story, that is one less eldritch smite that day! Its always a resource management issue.

And my only problem with warlock is that they make it just barely too tight. I think they are one spell a day and one invocation behind at all levels of play and those two boosts would be nice. In abseance of them? I get really analytical and careful.

I think this really hurts the blade pact the MOST because always on detect magic and so forth takes pressure off of those few precious slots.

These are wise words. However, as to the spell slots, my plan (if I act!) would be to take a level of divine sorcerer or bard (must be thematically appropriate) so that I can burn 1st level slots on protection from evil, comprehend languages or detect magic (If I do not take eldritch sight).

In this way, I would save my higher level slots which recharge for smites. If something comes up that requires one of them for survival or story, that is one less eldritch smite that day! Its always a resource management issue.

And my only problem with warlock is that they make it just barely too tight. I think they are one spell a day and one invocation behind at all levels of play and those two boosts would be nice. In abseance of them? I get really analytical and careful.

I think this really hurts the blade pact the MOST because always on detect magic and so forth takes pressure off of those few precious slots.

I agree. My issue with the bladelock isn't that you can't be a front liner, but that the amount of work to do so seems excessive. I tend to be down on what I call the 1/3rd martials (full casters with swords) as implemented in 5e though, so I might be biased. Storywise, I think they could have made a good case for bladelocks as skirmishers (do damage then get out of the way before the other guy can hit you back; playing fair is for paladins:devil:), but it feels like you have to be midlevel to do that successfully (and even then maybe only with feyblades), so that doesn't quite work either.

ClaytonCross

So I play a Tomelock and I eased my limit of spell slots 3 ways.

1. This may sound crazy but I took magic initiate Warlock the first level spell being Hex. Because Hex is a warlock spell and I know it Sage advice clarified that I can indeed cast it using my pact spell slots. This meant at I had 3 spell slots at low levels, one only for hex but it gave me a good back up option AND since it counts to spells known I was able to pick a different level 1 known spell give me another option.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.01.pdf
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/24/can-wizard-use-magic-initiate-feat/ <- Jeremy Crawford pointing out to some personally.

"Magic Initiate
If you’re a spellcaster, can you pick your own class when you gain the Magic Initiate feat? Yes, the feat doesn’t say you can’t. For example, if you’re a wizard and gain the Magic Initiate feat, you can choose wizard and thereby learn two more wizard cantrips and another 1st-level wizard spell."

2. Rod of the pact Keeper, I made it a mission of my characters to free up his resources and started researching for it in game. I was allowed to find out it existed, search it out, and purchase the uncommon one. It adds +1 to hit, +1 to Spell DC, and as an action once each day I can restore one spent Pact Spell slot all the way up to the spell slot 5 version. (This gave me the ability to sacrifice a turn to restore a spell slot which opens up some casting options with my other combat options aren't good.)

3. While buying the Rod of the pact Keeper, I just happened to find a pearl of power which is like having second rod of the pact keeper BUT when it restores my spell slot it can't come back higher than a 3rd level slot even though I have 4th level slots.

4. I have not achieved this yet but I am currently looking for a "ring of spell storing" its taking some time because its a rare item, they can hold 5 spell slots which means it can hold anyone spell when I hit level 9. At lower levels it actually works better because even if I cast a level 1 spell, it counts as a level 5 slot. HOWEVER, my magic initiate ability casts at level 1 so I can put 5 level 1 hex spells in it.

This means all together I could actually be capable of casting 10 spells as a warlock before getting my 3rd pact slot at Warlock level 11. Though with limited options and needing to sit out turns at times to recharge slots. I would also point out that 3 of these options are magic items and don't impact character design its just a matter of if your GM will let you find them and if your willing to attune all 3 because they do all 3 require attunement. Magic initiate got me 2 extra cantrips putting me more inline with a sorcerer in early freedom of casting and gave me a third daily spell option which has really helped because typically we only have 1 fight a day a the rest of the group stops to recover which really hurt my warlock as a caster. On the other hand if your going to be a Tomelock staff fighter, Warcaster is more important to you than Magic initiate. Also keeping in mind many weapons and armor don't require attunement so their may not be a conflict with you taking the magic items for this. This is not really useful for Eldritch smite but if we are honest Eldritch smite on a thirsty blade pact of the blade could use all for spell slots at level 19 in the first two rounds... hats a 20d8 nova but then what? The fifth level spell Enervation does 4d8 damage of 10 rounds (40d8) while healing you and only uses 1 spell slot so you could use it 4 times for 160d8.... so in the end your not really going to want to use Eldritch smite after level 9 and other options like hold monster might do less damage but let you beat the crap out of enemy who can't fight back … that's offensively and defensibly better for you I think.

Booming blade at level 5 adds 1d8 on hit and 2d8 more if they move (and it scale up for free at 11 & 17) + 1d8 shillelagh + 1d6 hex with warcaster+polarm master you can do that again if they move to attack you or move away.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Warlocks don't get enough spell slots for eldritch smites to be anything but a novelty.

Indeed. You can, at best, cast one defensive spell and keep spell slot in reserve for when things go terribly wrong. If you are reaaaaly eager to use Eldrich smite, you`ll get one a fight and that`s it.

ClaytonCross

-some text omitted for space but I did not add in anything other than emphasis-

So I am envisioning a former mercenary veteran who was reasonably honorable, but became involved with a very, very angry angel he now is instructed by.

1. Would like to try to be single classed (possibly one level of divine sorcerer at some point for both theme and variety). But bonus points for single class ideas.

2. Looking variant human (way outside chance half elf or dwarf)

3. Main themes: I am going with a herald/prophet motive. Somewhat like Gandalf...but more into melee solutions.

4. I am going blade pact. For thematic reasons, thinking staff as main weapon and likely polearm master at some point.

-omitted-

1. Want to be durable

2. Want to be as good in melee as possible with one offensive feat allocated (i.e. Polearm Master OR GWM, not both) considering alternatives or open to ideas.

3. Moderately armored considered at some point as is Tough.

4. I want some ability to seek out and find threats. Considering Eldritch Sight vs. level in Divine Soul Sorcerer and possibly Survival. So tight on feats, wondering if ritual caster is possible with priorities on fighting.

5. Eventually want Tomb of Levistus, but at level five will likely be indulging in thirsting blade and eldritch smite.

-omitted-

The ONLY ONE I really don't want is "just play paladin." It is not what I want to do. The image of a guy in a scale shirt with cloak, hood quarterstaff and arcane things is where I want to go!

Not taking eldritch blast or related invocations. First cantrips likely friends and minor image with the freebies of light and sacred flame...

Ok I stripped down your original post for focus, lol. I saw that your considering a Pact of the Tome Build but its bugging me that We don't have a really strong Pact of the Blade. (I think the one starting with Moderately armored met most of your goals and is workable but you really didn't like the shield and staff for AC18 and I feel we can do better,) You have a lot of conditions here and I don't think I can meat them all. So I am going to try to choose just two that you had some flexibility with as possible changes that could achieve your goal.

1. You mentioned you wanted to a single class design but were considering a theme appropriate 1 level dip muti-class (which would get rid of your level 19 feat because you want quite a few ASI/Feats) … In the Ver first reply [MENTION=6964935]jmartkdr[/MENTION] pointed out some thing that is true and the fix that is most often used to make it work. Hexblades are cursed with low AC for a melee build and a one level dip for an armor proficiency will free up ATLEAST one feat. Cleric is a full caster with armor and jumps out at first but has a wisdom requirement that makes it a hard build for medium armor which will also need dex and really their is no other full caster than can help you. Paladin is a partial caster with two stats that you need any way because your set on Quarterstaff a which is strength weapon without Monk or shillelagh which both have their own problems and would end up breaking a third requirement or going in a completely different direction. However Paladin is not helping your spell casting slots with a one level dip it would only give you medium armor, divine since, and 5 points of lay on hands. You need two levels in paladin in order to get 1 spell caster level with 2 level 1 spell slots, a fighting style, and divine smite at the lose of your level 19 feat (which may not matter and you basically get "Moderately armored" out of it...but your back to needing that shield) and a two level slow down to your warlock progression (which defiantly will matter). It also doesn't really fit your mercenary veteran back ground and why is an angel granting more power to a paladin? If you can come up with some reason an angel of your paladin deity is personally providing you power in support of the deity you both server instead of letting you just grow as a paladin...ok... but I can't think of it right now and it breaks a third rule of not wanting to play a paladin.
That only leaves one option. You start as a mercenary veteran quarterstaff fighter and then the angry angel finds you. [MENTION=6964935]jmartkdr[/MENTION] mentioned this option to and its the go to for most Pact of the Blade Builds I have seen and for good reason, its just simple the best option for getting what you NEED to make pact of the blade work with the least waste and stray from your warlock design. Fighter 1 gets HEAVY armor on a strength build and a fighting style (defensive or Great Weapon Fighting, which I checked does work with Quarterstaffs if your using it two-handed do to the versatile property) and an added bonus of proficiency with constitution save which will help you keep hex and all those other Warlock spells your not getting anywhere else because taking sorcerer after the fact as you stated will not and even if you took it first you would then be short ANY armor proficiency making things worse instead of better.

2. I could suggest a Human Variant mercenary veteran quarterstaff fighter with starting with pole arm master and chain mail + defensive fighting style (AC17) going warlock at level 2 having already made his/her deal with the angry angel before the campaign but being told it will take some time for the powers to kick in. However, I feel like AC17 is ok but not great and having Great weapon Fighting instead of defensive fighting would not raise your damage but would make it more consistently good while your aiming for 3 attacks per round. So how do you get an AC18 and take Great Weapon Fighting without using a shield so you can use the quarterstaff two-handed so you can use Great weapon fighting style roll 1d8 damage instead of 1d6? …Well, I found a way... not sure how you will feel about it. But if your willing to try alternate Races losing your human variant feat and taking polearm master at level 4... You could be... a Warforged Juggernaut. Now the idea of a Mechanical warlock is er… unusual... but per the makers they were made to be able to be casters by empowering runes inside them, so while a warforge changing blood to a sorcerer doesn't make since to me, an Angel empowering machine of war designed to except such power in order to further its angelic goals works in my opinion. Also, taking the Eldritch invocation Mask of May Faces at Warlock level 2 you can look like human all the time, but you also don't need to eat, or sleep, your resistant to poison, immune to disease, and you can restore your spell slots on a short rest!!! As a Warforged Juggernaut you get +2 strength, +1 constitution, but here is the really interesting part Integrated Protection with heavy armor proficiency gives you 16 + proficiency bonus so your AC18 at level 1 and increases as you level all by itself. ...AC issue resolved... with AC18 you free to take Great Weapon fighter.

Stats: Str 16 Dex 8 Con16 Int10 Wis10 Cha14
...so high HP, good to hit from strength, double carrying capacity (class feature), descent CHA for your herald/prophet plan.

Then just follow the warlock plan I put out before but instead of Armor of Shadows/Thief of Five Fates go ahead and take Devil’s Sight er.. Angelic Sight so you don't need torches then for starting equipment gold for class method and buy a quarterstaff, pouch for your gold, backpack for anything you pick up on the way, … maybe a knife and your done you don't need the rest of it because your taking devil's sight at character level 3. (of course you know longer need moderately armored so your taking polearm master at level 4).

Maybe I am a crazy person but I do believe this is 90% of what you wanted an it works.

Remove ads