D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation up on dndbeyond!

Some stuff I noticed:

Both Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter are in, so congratulations to those who put that thread together. Grungs, Dinosaurs, Yuan-Ti, Kobolds, Fire Newts, and Vegepygmys are copied from Volo's; I don't own that on dndbeyond, so I'm not sure how the website handles you having access to them from one book but not the other. Either way, it's clear that Wizards don't intend to make you buy Volo's to use the adventures, which matches the general homebrew campaign tone of the book ("Here's how to write Mind Flayer stories!")

Having the Indiana Jones background in the game is amusing, and will certainly make some people pretty happy. A quick google reveals that a 'Yklwa' is some kind of short spear, used in real life by Zulus and in the Forgotten Realms by Chultans.

latest

One thing I was genuinely surprised by is Ras Nsi; as far as my limited knowledge goes, he was a Yuan-Ti NPC in the 2e Skullport book, so he's popping up again after a fair old while.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=32659]Charles Rampant[/MENTION] One interesting tidbit about Artus Cimber from the Tomb of Annihilation Adventurer's League Primer...

[section]Some characters may be tempted to claim
ownership of the Ring of Winter and Artus’s prized
dagger, Bookmark. As Artus is completely unwilling
to surrender these items voluntarily, characters
must use force or magic to obtain them. Given
Artus’s importance in Faerûn, this spells the end of
an adventuring hero’s career.

Characters involved in facilitating the theft of
Bookmark or the Ring of Winter are permanently
and irrevocably retired from Adventurers League
play—some crimes are beyond forgiveness.[/section]

Sounds like there's a book or adventure in the pipeline that may be drawing upon Artus and the Ring of Winter.

One thing I was genuinely surprised by is Ras Nsi; as far as my limited knowledge goes, he was a Yuan-Ti NPC in the 2e Skullport book, so he's popping up again after a fair old while.

Ras Nsi is a major Chult character. But he was human back then not a Yuan-Ti. (Which is adressed in the adventure. After failing to take over Mezro and when it vanished, he ended up joining up with a group of Yuan Ti worshiping Dendar. He managed to intergrate himself well with them and they allowed him to preform the ritual that turns someone into a Yuan Ti and so he became a Malison. (And later took over the whole group.)

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Anyone running this on a laptop, I highly recommend getting a browser extension that allows you to resize images. As much as I love the high res maps in D&D Beyond, the browser's limited ability with them, i.e. tiny or HUUUUGE, is annoying. If anyone has recommendations for an extension for any browser, please tell me. Currently I'm using "Image Autosizer" for Opera which allows me to double-click to fit to width which is mostly OK, but for running a game, I'd happily use whatever browser and whatever extension would allow me more control over image sizing.

Keegan Miller

First Post
Can y'all tell me what the dagger "Bookmark" does? it's literally the only thing I need info on from this book. I DM my own home games and I've already used Artus Cimber with the RoW as an NPC, but I hear he has this dagger now. So if it wouldn't be much trouble can someone tell me what it does so I don't have to buy a whole book just to see the one thing I'm interested in? Please and thank you!

Last edited:

Can y'all tell me what the dagger "Bookmark" does? it's literally the only thing I need info on from this book. I DM my own home games and I've already used Artus Cimber with the RoW as an NPC, but I hear he has this dagger now. So if it wouldn't be much trouble can someone tell me what it does so I don't have to buy a whole book just to see the one thing I'm interested in? Please and thank you!

Just to tell you on D&D beyond you can buy individual magic items stats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/25

If you don't feel like spending 2 bucks for it or like 5 bucks for all of it. I will give a simple disciption

It's a +3 dagger that can activate a few features as a bonus action. Namely making the dagger's pommel glow, Turn into a compass, Cast dimension door, or Compulsion.

Keegan Miller

First Post
Alright, thank you lol. So it just lets you do those 4 things as a bonus action? That seems like an odd item to retire characters over (it was on a list of items adventure league considers too inappropriate for players to have)? Or is there a little more to it than that?

Last edited:

Remove ads