D&D 5E Feats / Multiclassing

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Both, for sure.

If they're in the PHB, then they're in (and I'm saying this sight unseen; it's a principle that I'll make work, one way or another). Options in the DMG are not automatic. In the case of "Variants" within the PHB they'll I expect generally be used: of the variants in 5B, I like encumbrance, the alt-human, point-buy, spy, and skills with different abilities; playing on a grid will be used sometimes; and I am only hesitating on equipment sizes. If it's just one or two that are outliers, again I'll probably use them and make them work.

1of3

Explorer
[MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION]: You are being stupid. My tower, my monsters, my traps, their PCs, everyone's game.

That's great.

GM: "While exploring the tower a demon appears!"

Player 1: "No, I don't like that. What do you guess think."

Player 2: "Ya, interesting suggestion for what is in the tower but we are low and HP and spells and that sounds tough."

Player 3: "I concur, but I do think we find treasure."

Player 1: "Yes, I like that idea there is treasure here."
lol Collaborative roleplaying to the extreme.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Yes, and yes. In fact we're waiting (mostly) patiently for the PHB so we can start setting up my daughter's second class of Druid.

I really like the new approach to multiclassing, and yes, it's story based. Of course, my campaign is designed to allow the players to utilize most of the options that are available if they choose. On the other hand, I'm a fairly tough adjudicator when it comes to the rules, so I make them work for it.

I'm not a fan of optimization - min/maxing - munchkinizing, whatever you want to call it. On the other hand, I can't particularly stop a player from doing so, although I do like to have some story explanation for it. But be prepared for your opponents to take advantage of their abilities too!

Randy

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I will definitely allow them. Feats are uncommon enough that I'm not worried about them. If I see a feat on a non-human before 8th lvl (6th for fighters) I'll be shocked.

As for multiclassing, the prerequisites and the likely limitation on proficiencies gained from multiclassing address my problems with 3.x style multiclassing. It's not as fun as 4e Hybrids, but then few things are. ;)

Greg K

Legend
[MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION]: You are being stupid. My tower, my monsters, my traps, their PCs, everyone's game.

If that is how you run fine. When I run, PCs exist in my campaign setting. I determine the rules of the campaign setting and how things work in the world including the limits and circumstances of what options are available to the PCs.

the Jester

Legend

No need for name calling, dude.

It's a playstyle thing. For some of us, the DM is definitely the 'owner' of the campaign. For others, campaign ownership is far more distributed. You're in the latter camp, and that's fine, but there's nothing wrong with being in the "DM ownership" camp either.

Paraxis

Explorer
Both.

Multiclassing is more than likely the best way to optimize and min/max in the game, why would I want to remove that option from my players? The fun of building a character away from the table is fun for a good number of people.

I plan on multiclassing in the one game I am playing right now, started as a rogue using just the Basic rules and now that he is already level 2, I think I will take levels in ranger now, the bonus move/hide/disengage action is just too nice to give up.

Both.

Multiclassing is more than likely the best way to optimize and min/max in the game, why would I want to remove that option from my players? The fun of building a character away from the table is fun for a good number of people.

I plan on multiclassing in the one game I am playing right now, started as a rogue using just the Basic rules and now that he is already level 2, I think I will take levels in ranger now, the bonus move/hide/disengage action is just too nice to give up.
...I'm not sure I can even read this as a serious response to the thread. You trolling? Either way, you have my sincerest apologies.

Remove ads