D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Hussar

Legend
Special effects I'll give you. But pacing? Good grief, Star Wars ANH is glacially paced. For an adventure movie, it spends an awful lot of time walking around the desert looking lost.

And, as far as never surpassed, well, how do you measure that? Dollars brought in? Well, Avatar blew Star Wars out of the water years ago. Number of fans? Well, I have to give Star Wars that one, it's certainly got its fans. Disney wouldn't be building a Star Wars theme park for nothing. :D

But, again, how much of Star Wars is the movies and how much of it is the marketing around the movies? No other movie franchise has as much money around the movie as the Star Wars franchise. Between toys, collectibles, games, theme parks, whatever, Star Wars is far more an industry unto itself than just a series of movies.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
And, as far as never surpassed, well, how do you measure that? Dollars brought in? Well, Avatar blew Star Wars out of the water years ago.
:devil: Must … resist … urge … to deliver ... dissertation … contrasting … Gold Standard currency … with paper money … and … bore audience … describing inflation ! :-S

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A D&D movie ought to include Ian McKellen as Gandalf, in a Shire-like background, for a cameo - to tell the Heroes that they need to get back on their own path.

Hussar

Legend
:devil: Must … resist … urge … to deliver ... dissertation … contrasting … Gold Standard currency … with paper money … and … bore audience … describing inflation ! :-S

Sorry, even adjusted for inflation, Avatar still beats out Episode IV according to IMDB.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Special effects I'll give you. But pacing? Good grief, Star Wars ANH is glacially paced. For an adventure movie, it spends an awful lot of time walking around the desert looking lost.

Well I guess it depends on one's viewpoint. IMO most modern movies are essentially set on 1.25x speed. I feel like I never get a breath in before something else is happening. It's the pacing equivalent of a song mastered post "loudness wars" compared to ones that have actual dynamics.

And, as far as never surpassed, well, how do you measure that? Dollars brought in? Well, Avatar blew Star Wars out of the water years ago.

As I said elsewhere, I'm trying to consider things beyond just dollars, although that is, of course harder to quantify. In terms of raw dollars, it's hard to make any kind of comparisons over time. I know Hollywood loves to report on raw dollars, but anyone with any knowledge of how money works knows it's necessary to adjust for inflation. By that score, you're right, Avatar still wins, though of course it benefits from a much more global-sized audience, but in terms of cultural impact, not even close.

Number of fans? Well, I have to give Star Wars that one, it's certainly got its fans. Disney wouldn't be building a Star Wars theme park for nothing. :D

But, again, how much of Star Wars is the movies and how much of it is the marketing around the movies? No other movie franchise has as much money around the movie as the Star Wars franchise. Between toys, collectibles, games, theme parks, whatever, Star Wars is far more an industry unto itself than just a series of movies.

Modern Star Wars is, in my view, very different than old Star Wars of the late '70s. Modern Star Wars is a giant machine. It is very much in the belly of the beast.

At the time, the Star Wars trilogy were a cultural phenomenon in a way that few movies since have been but in many ways it came out of the underground. Partly this is because of the culture of the time, which was much more homogeneous. I was just a little kid then and only barely remember seeing it in the theater. I wasn't totally gaga over it for a bit... probably just too young, but it hit fairly quickly. There really wasn't anything like it before and, for better or worse, the kind of crossover toys, music, etc., just hadn't really existed before. In a lot of ways I liken it to Elvis or The Beatles in terms of influence. In terms of gross earnings, neither compare to artists today.

If you look on the linked IMDB page above, the original Star Wars cost $11 million, so in terms of bang for the buck it's right up there with Gone With the Wind. While Titanic and Avatar made more, they also cost a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgsugden

Legend
Why would you have any faith absent any information about the director, actors, plot, or anything else? There’s nothing to have faith in yet.
And that makes it the perfect tie to have faith. We have faith in the unknown, not the known. Except in D&D where the Gods are known to be real. That always bugged me. If ceris worship Gods that are known to exist, how can it reallly be faith...

Yes, obviously a movie that isn't even in production is going to be a total disaster. Just like The Last Jedi was a total flop if you believe the internet. Terrible really, only the top grossing movie of 2017.
"Top grossing movie" and "good movie" are orthogonal. There are many good movies that make no money and lots of money making movies that suck.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A-lister Male lead says to me "Not an ensemble cast" and thus not a "party of adventurers" style show. And thus less like D&D than it should be.

Lots of leads are in ensemble casts. For example, Jumanji. Or Lady Hawk. It's a pretty common device to emphasize one character as a perspective for a larger portion of an ensemble movie.

Remove ads

Remove ads