Now You Can Play With Vin Diesel's WITCH HUNTER Class!

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

Find the PDF over at Geek & Sundry here. It's a fully illustrated 20-level class for D&D 5th Edition, with three Orders to choose from - Order of the Ghostslayer, Order of the Profane Soul, and Order of the Mutant.

Watch Vin Diesel's D&D game below.

[video=youtube;yLEMb_RIZ3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o[/video]

Also, I currently have a 8th. level Barbarian. Do you think it would be more beneficial if I'm looking to be a badass melee combatant to stay pure Barbarian or maybe dip into Witch Hunter a tad? If so, how would you do the multiclass to accomplish this?

Provided that you have picked bear totem at lvl 3... get 8 levels into the Mutant Order and run Potency and Precision mutagens, grab the Great Weapon Master feat and increase your Str and Con (20 Str and 18 Con will be perfect) as much as you can. If you start running out of hit dice - swap Precision for Reconstruction. Top if off with 4 levels of Battle Master Fighter. Grats, you win DnD.

daddystabz

Explorer
My lvl 8 Barbarian is a Berserker, not Bear Totem currently.

Any other multiclass cool synergies with other classes and Witch Hunter?

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
I like it, and have already approved it for my games with the HD increased to d10. Why d10? Because I very much like the function of the blood rite, but looked at quick and dirty damage math and saw the class fall behind if it didn't use that ability. Since being a front-line character with wizard HP sounds unfun (and is what Blood Rite on one weapon with d8 HD leads to), I went with d10.

Orlax

First Post
I like it, and have already approved it for my games with the HD increased to d10. Why d10? Because I very much like the function of the blood rite, but looked at quick and dirty damage math and saw the class fall behind if it didn't use that ability. Since being a front-line character with wizard HP sounds unfun (and is what Blood Rite on one weapon with d8 HD leads to), I went with d10.

It's why they are supposed to pump con, and why the mutagens all run off of your con mod. 16 con basically makes it so you keep up. It's why I suggest a dex build for them. Go with dex, con, wis as your high stats and watch the world burn. Though the d10 does reduce the madness a little bit so I see the reasoning.

Orlax

First Post
My lvl 8 Barbarian is a Berserker, not Bear Totem currently.

Any other multiclass cool synergies with other classes and Witch Hunter?

The issue is that really the only class that would stack awesomely with witch hunter is fighter because you can push number of attacks. Seriously number of attacks is the witch hunter's best friend it's either great weapon and polearm master or crossbow expert and sharpshooter for this guy, possibly dual wielding but that really makes you a glass cannon and unless you are going with precision mutagen the other two will net you more damage. However that means you are mainly fighter with like three levels of witch hunter thrown in to get the extra d4 of damage on all of your attacks. Like three levels of witch hunter headed into the ghost hunter order (to get your wisdom to damage because hey more damage) then all into fighter for sheer number of attacks. Throw battle master on there (or heck even champion since you're rolling so much damage on a hit). Even still I'd want to see the breakdown on the math of of having a d4 to all of your attacks on a mostly fighter build as compared to having a d12 to all of your attacks on a mostly witch hunter build. Either way at least dipping fighter to get action surge is a major boon for this guy

Orlax

First Post
What mutagens do you all think are the most essential/best?

I think precision is a top contender, add reconstruction next to it and the downside of precision is way less terrible. Cruelty is awesome because the witch hunter is trying to push number of attacks to get more damage (blood rite damage goes on every hit not just once a round), but it's downside is pretty rough. Celerity is pretty awesome on the lead up to level 7 (seriously crossbow expert and hand crossbow, because potency drops your dex and that's real bad). Outside of those it is fairly situational and really just what makes sense for your campaign and character.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My only issue with it is that I think the hit point reduction on blood rite is totally unnecessary. I'd probably replace it with regular damage. And possibly give it some sort of bonus if you activate it mid combat.

pdegan2814

First Post
My only issue with it is that I think the hit point reduction on blood rite is totally unnecessary. I'd probably replace it with regular damage. And possibly give it some sort of bonus if you activate it mid combat.

I think just taking damage is too easy, given how long the Blood Rite effect lasts. The whole idea behind it is that the Witch Hunter is siphoning some of his life force into the weapon to enable the effect, he's not just cutting himself. If it was just damage it would be way too easy to use many of them a day, swapping out damage types whenever you wanted for maximum effect, provided you had a competent healer in the group, or stayed stocked up on healing potions. By making it an actual HP reduction for the day, the player has to think more carefully about when to use it and which Rite to activate.

Remove ads

Remove ads