D&D Movie/TV (Yet another) D&D Movie Speculation thread.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Clearly. Who else would have thought of an adventuring party with four halflings, a dwarf, an elf, two fighters and a DMPC?

The deviations from the text usually bring the films closer to D&D and even Warhammer tropes. My wife was able to stomach the Hobbit films by looking at them as Warhammer movies that happened to rip off plot elements from Tolkien, though I couldn't quite make the leap to enjoy them even with that crutch.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's my speculation: any movie that starts with the intriguing, inspired premise of "recognizably based on D&D" will be, at best, a C-grade movie.

Probably even worse than books with the same premise.

Caveat: the only possible exception is if it's a movie about people who play D&D. Stranger Things and The Guild showed how that concept can work.

You say "C-Grade" like it's a bad thing. If I get a Transformers quality movie with Owlbears in Happy Meals, then I'll be happy.

Still, one could as easily have said that any movie about Lego playtime would necessarily be terrible, and one would have been wrong. There is no necessity to the subject matter being a good or a bad movie: look at the mess Peter Jackson made of solid literary material in the Hobbit movies, versus the genius of the aforementioned Lego franchise.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
You say "C-Grade" like it's a bad thing. If I get a Transformers quality movie with Owlbears in Happy Meals, then I'll be happy.

Still, one could as easily have said that any movie about Lego playtime would necessarily be terrible, and one would have been wrong. There is no necessity to the subject matter being a good or a bad movie: look at the mess Peter Jackson made of solid literary material in the Hobbit movies, versus the genius of the aforementioned Lego franchise.

A mess?

Well, they were certainly deviations from the source, which is extremely frustrating for me, but they were still (overall) very good movies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A mess?

Well, they were certainly deviations from the source, which is extremely frustrating for me, but they were still (overall) very good movies.

They got pretty bad reception from the critics, particularly as the "trilogy" dragged on an on and on for no reason. They did OK, I suppose, and I wouldn't really expect much better from a D&D movie, but it would be inherently less obnoxious to the source material.

Pauln6

Hero
A mess?Well, they were certainly deviations from the source, which is extremely frustrating for me, but they were still (overall) very good movies.
They were not the two movies with no love triangle that they should have been because studio committees interfered and made them worse. There may be a moral in that story. Drow would not be my go-to antagonists personally. I've had way more fun with evil clerics, orcs, ogres, demons, and giants over the years. I'd rather they saved a dragon for the third movie... How about a serialisation of the Age of Worms? The finale of that has a dracolich 😁 and plenty of scope to shave it down to three movies.

They were not the two movies with no love triangle that they should have been because studio committees interfered and made them worse. There may be a moral in that story. Drow would not be my go-to antagonists personally. I've had way more fun with evil clerics, orcs, ogres, demons, and giants over the years. I'd rather they saved a dragon for the third movie... How about a serialisation of the Age of Worms? The finale of that has a dracolich 😁 and plenty of scope to shave it down to three movies.

Planning trilogies out from the start never works.

Almost every successful film trilogy has been an accidentally trilogy after a successful one-and-done film. LotR is a big exception, but everything about that movie was a fluke: even getting the same people together to make more movie couldn’t replicate the success.

Remove ads