I will answer 10 questions about Mordenkainen's Tome

What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?
What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Does the book contain anything explicit on using it with different D&D worlds/settings (like how SCAG had sidebars with suggestions for renaming or similar conversions of new class and races elements to non-FR settings), or does the “multiverse” conceit operate as if the material is basically the same (if only mythologically) in all games?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can you give us a quick description of the Oblex (monster)?

Oblex Spawn is a Cr 1/4 tiny ooze. Green. Amorphous and Aversion to Fire. Does bludgeoning and psychic damage with its pseudopod attack.

Adult Oblex is CR 5, medium. Eat memories does psychic damage and memory drains the target - -1d4 from ability checks or attacks. Each time it increases to d6, d8, etc. until d20 when the victim falls unconscious. Oblex learns all its languages and proficiencies. Sulfurous Impersonation lets it assume the appearance of a memory drained victim.

Elder Oblex is CR 10.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Does the first section detailing the Blood War provide enough info to run a Planescape campaign (or provide any tantalizing hints that we might see future Planescape products for 5E)?

It doesn't detail Sigil, so I'd guess no. I've never run a PS campaign though, so I'm not super qualified to judge what's needed to run one.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Does the book contain anything explicit on using it with different D&D worlds/settings (like how SCAG had sidebars with suggestions for renaming or similar conversions of new class and races elements to non-FR settings), or does the “multiverse” conceit operate as if the material is basically the same (if only mythologically) in all games?

Various mentions in sidebars, but not additional rules. Like the Halfling chapter has a sidebar which mentions Halflings in FR, Greyhawk, Krynn, Athas.

jgsugden

Legend
Oblex Spawn is a Cr 1/4 tiny ooze. Green. Amorphous and Aversion to Fire. Does bludgeoning and psychic damage with its pseudopod attack.

Adult Oblex is CR 5, medium. Eat memories does psychic damage and memory drains the target - -1d4 from ability checks or attacks. Each time it increases to d6, d8, etc. until d20 when the victim falls unconscious. Oblex learns all its languages and proficiencies. Sulfurous Impersonation lets it assume the appearance of a memory drained victim.

Elder Oblex is CR 10.
It sounds like an update on Obliviax... stealing the name of the stuff you make in grade school. Cool. I think I like Obliviax, but I can't seem to remember if I enjoyed using it...

Remove ads

Remove ads