Ravnica Table of Contents & More

Thank you.

Rossbert

Explorer
Obviously we don't know a lot with the book not out, plus I didn't play the card game enough to know any flavor text (all my knowledge coming from the design pages and the book).

But I think the crux of the arguments come down to some people doubting how much a person's kingdom job and neighbors influence their lives, and possibly an overestimation of how much material a setting can realistically have in it first foray into print.

Of course Ravnica will have much less than Faerun, Athas, Sigil or Eberron. It has a couple hundred pages to put forth the important concepts and enough game material to get going. I counted well over a thousand pages of Dark Sun material. Heck, I had that much Al-Qadim. by last week. Forgotten Realms has more novels than I can count about one person.

Ravnica will probably have plenty of stuff to get someone who likes that setting and the themes going but will obviously have a very open landscape to be filled in by players and DMs since they only have the one sourcebook and a handful of small novels.

I'm okay with that, in part because I get the idea of Ravnica (and love me some Simic, I wanted to be a genetic engineer when I was younger), and in part because I always felt a little uncomfortable getting into a Forgotten Realms game because I thought I needed to read 20 years of material to know what is going on and what is being referenced.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/closer-look-keyrunes-2012-11-16

Some info on some of the Keyrunes. I am curious about how signets and keyrunes will translate providing many and using many in a game system with out mana. Maybe it can be used to restore say a first level spell or two in the case of the signet, but in the case Keyrune spend a 3rd level spell slot to activate it's ability to become a creature. I assume the creatures will have the construct type no matter the creature they resemble.

Eubani

Legend
Full Caster Subclasses - Check
New spells - Check
No Martial subclasses - Check
No new Fighting Styles or manoeuvres - Check
No new Classes that showcase the new world - Check
Little player material at all - Check

Are the designers utterly incapable of learning from past mistakes?

gyor

Legend
New spells - Check

They do have a martial side bar so maybe it will having fighting style or something. Plus the Sword of the Paruns will likely rock for fighters and maybe Rogues.

They did have a fighter subclass for this book, the brute, but it was too unpopular.

Honestly an MtG inspired setting is the worst setting to look for pure martial abilities, everything seems to be magically changed and even by the standards of MtG magic is insanely common place.

gyor

Legend
Obviously we don't know a lot with the book not out, plus I didn't play the card game enough to know any flavor text (all my knowledge coming from the design pages and the book).

But I think the crux of the arguments come down to some people doubting how much a person's kingdom job and neighbors influence their lives, and possibly an overestimation of how much material a setting can realistically have in it first foray into print.

Of course Ravnica will have much less than Faerun, Athas, Sigil or Eberron. It has a couple hundred pages to put forth the important concepts and enough game material to get going. I counted well over a thousand pages of Dark Sun material. Heck, I had that much Al-Qadim. by last week. Forgotten Realms has more novels than I can count about one person.

Ravnica will probably have plenty of stuff to get someone who likes that setting and the themes going but will obviously have a very open landscape to be filled in by players and DMs since they only have the one sourcebook and a handful of small novels.

I'm okay with that, in part because I get the idea of Ravnica (and love me some Simic, I wanted to be a genetic engineer when I was younger), and in part because I always felt a little uncomfortable getting into a Forgotten Realms game because I thought I needed to read 20 years of material to know what is going on and what is being referenced.

I'd suggest buying the novels, the GGR, and the Art of Ravnica and you should be pretty good.

Eubani

Legend
They do have a martial side bar so maybe it will having fighting style or something. Plus the Sword of the Paruns will likely rock for fighters and maybe Rogues.

They did have a fighter subclass for this book, the brute, but it was too unpopular.

Honestly an MtG inspired setting is the worst setting to look for pure martial abilities, everything seems to be magically changed and even by the standards of MtG magic is insanely common place.

Oooooohhhh a sidebar! Consider me underwhelmed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
New spells - Check

If it made money in the past and was well-received, where is the "mistake?"

As pointed out, they tried to introduce a new martial archetype, but it was rejected by popular demand. So it goes. This is a DM book, not a player resource, really: WotC doesn't do pure player books anymore, they seem to be under the impression that Dams are the folks who buy books.

The entire existence of 5E is a testament to being willing to correct mistakes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, double checking the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide, between them have ~20 pages of NPC stat blocks. MToF doesn't have NPC blocks, though it has some racial character types (Drow, Dueregar, Gith).

Guildmaster's Guide has ~30 pages of NPC blocks. At least one from each Guild will be the named Guildmaster, but that leaves a lot of eminently lootable stat blocks just for NPCs.

Remove ads

Remove ads